Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini 14 .223 with Coated Teflon on projectile

What happens to the bullet ( Full Metal Jacket ) when you do this, is their anything with the target that you shoot at? or is it just a waste of time & money

thanks

:2guns: :confused:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey gunrunner, another name for that bullet is cop killer. The bullet pierces kevlar (flak jackets or ortherwise bullet proof vests). They serve no purpose, and should be banned. I believe they are illegal in some states. (should be illegal anywhere)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cajungeo,
I really get discouraged when I hear fellow gunowners talk about banning things. Kalifornians have just about lost the legal right to own any damn gun and it's because of that attitude.

To even use the phrase cop killer bullet means you actually believe the crap the gun-banners have been using with great success.

You're wrong about the facts concerning bullet-proof vests. The .223 round handily penetrates body armor without any kind of coating. So, to say that because a rifle bullet penetrates kevlar makes it a cop killer bullet puts us all in the crosshairs of the gun banners.

Sorry to be so brutal, but I really think you should consider how close we are to losing our gun rights.

KC

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have sprayed some of mine with teflon/moly in an attempt to help reduce barrel fouling. Seemed to help somewhat but its harder to get the teflon/moly out that bakes on the barrel than to get the copper out. I gave up coating bullets not worth the time or the money, copper solvent is cheaper.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Well, kalifornia, your opinion on "teflon" coated bullets is duley noted, and given due respect. Before you get all heated up, maby I can learn something here. The only thing I have ever read in articles, or heard on the news about "teflon" coated bullets were for piercing personal armor. Yes I know a .223 can pierce kevlar jacket with or with out "teflon". So I ask you, what purpose can a "teflon" coated bullet have. I'm not talking about "moly" coated bullets to reduce fowling. If the "teflon "coated bullets have a useful purpose then please tell me, and I may go an buy some. Now I'm not griping at ya, I'm just trying to set the record straight. You used the words banning THINGS. The "teflon" bullets is "a thing" not things. That is the only gun or gun related accessory I have ever used the dreaded "BAN" word on. So if you say the info I've been fed is crap, then I say ok give me some anticrap info, so I can educate myself. I understand your sensitivity to the "Ban" word as I lived in Calif for 16 years. Every time a criminal shoots someone, the stupid politicians pass a stupid law that further limits the law abiding, but the chriminal dosen't care because it dosen't apply to him. Kalifornia, my gut feeling is if we don't police our own stuff then the positions have one more nail in all our coffins. Me thinks you misjuged me ole buddy. Except for this one issue I bet ya, me an you think just alike. I am proud of you for steping in there though, and standing up for all our rights. I know you all have heard this before, but this may be a good time to say it again. " When they outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns!", and me, cause they ain't taking my gun while I'm alive!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi cajungeo
I was told that teflon can help the Full Metal Jacket bullet ( military ) to expand when you hit the animal or target.

We only have in bulk buying ammo, the choice of military FMJ bullets, so I have know choice in buying them. I'm just trying to find ways to help the bullet expand when the bullet is not meant too.

:(

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Well, teflon won't help you do that.

Don't hunt with FMJ unless you are simply killing varmint indiscriminantly. And then, only SMALL ones that don't require an expanding bullet (like small rodents).

You don't buy bulk to hunt. Buy the right cartridge for the job. Anything less is unethical with respect to the animal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by Kalifornia Citizen
Cajungeo,
I really get discouraged when I hear fellow gunowners talk about banning things. Kalifornians have just about lost the legal right to own any damn gun and it's because of that attitude.

To even use the phrase cop killer bullet means you actually believe the crap the gun-banners have been using with great success.

You're wrong about the facts concerning bullet-proof vests. The .223 round handily penetrates body armor without any kind of coating. So, to say that because a rifle bullet penetrates kevlar makes it a cop killer bullet puts us all in the crosshairs of the gun banners.

Sorry to be so brutal, but I really think you should consider how close we are to losing our gun rights.

KC
WORD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bullets are coated with teflon to protect gun barrels. Armor piercing rounds, or "Cop Killers," are made of extremely hard metals that won't fragment when contacting body armor. Teflon coats the bullet so the hard metal won't damage the softer metal of the barrel. The teflon is generally all burnt off when the bullet leaves the barrel.

These rounds are almost impossible to get in the U.S. anyways. There was once a time when police officers arresting gangsters on the streets of L.A. were finding regular FMJ with teflon sprayed on them. These gangbangers obviously thought that the key to Cop Killers was the teflon coating, so they thought a little household grade teflon spray would give them the edge over the cops.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think we have ideas here that are getting mixed up. Someone sitting on the bench who knows help us out. Some time ago there was a bullet, I believe called KTW. Initials may be wrong. It was coated with teflon, covered, coated, permenantaly bonded with, a visible outside layer etc. I saw a demonstration of a 9mm going through several or more bullet proof vests. ( I know there are different grades, which one did they use? ) The round is recovered in practically the same shape with little deformation. Penetration was incredible. This round has nothing to do with spray or consumer applied coatings. It was removed from the general market after, I think, 60 Minutes aired it all. I know, bias show, but just voicing some info. That is how it got the tag "cop killer".

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cajungeo,
I apologize for not being more diplomatic to you. Now I know your attitude a little better.

Here in the great satan state of Kalifornia, it's been so damn frustrating that gunowners won't get involved.

I've spent many weeekends in the last 3 years at gun shows and one airshow trying to get gunowners to sign 2 petitions that would have put our worst gun laws on the state ballot for public vote.

Most gunowners don't vote and they don't sign petitions. They live in a fantasy that their gun will save the country. That is pure fantasy because "the enforcers" are organized and trained. Gunowners are neither. You win by fighting as a team. And the strategy at this stage is getting people in our government that respect the Second Amendment. It's my opinion that if gunowners won't get involved now when it's easy, then they won't when it means risking life and property.

Gunowners readily say things like, they won't get mine or give 'em the ammo first. But, General Patton said something like, you don't win a war by dying for your country, you make the other poor bastard die for his country.

If SWAT guys knock down your door for your guns, you'd better let them take everything. If you resist, you will die and they will win.

Folks, we need a better strategy than letting them shoot our house full of holes and burning our house to the ground with us inside. They wouldn't do that? Why do you think Clinton and Reno charred women and children at Waco? To prove to us that they will win the game!

Sorry if I don't sound pissed off enough!

Back to the subject of teflon coated bullets. The spray-on method would just foul up your rifle. Anything out of a spray can is formulated to be sprayed out of a can after sitting on the shelf for 5 years. Bullets have a polished finish, which won't let anything stick to it. Now, if you sand fine scratches in the copper and bake on a teflon finish, you might get the teflon to help protect the barrel.

By the way, the reason I chose Kalifornia Citizen as a user name, was to draw attention to the fact that Kalifornia considers their laws superior to the US Constitution. Kalifornia Citizen with a "K" means disrespect to California.

As an American Citizen, I am guaranteed at least the rights enumerated in the US Constitution, and Kalifornia be damned! I am an American Citizen with inalienable rights, including the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

KC

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
567 Posts
For what it's worth most any high powered rifle bullet will penetrate any kind of body armour you & I are likely to get our hands on. Where Teflon was used mainly was on handgun bullets that normally don't have the power to penetrate body armour. I don't know of any rifle bullets made with a teflon coating but then I don't get out much. "Moly" on the other hand was is used by some to extend the amount of rounds shot between cleanings by supposedly cutting down on the copper fouling. Even after all these years it's still a hotly debated subject in Benchrest circles. Choose your bullet by the style shooting you will use it for, hunting, varmints, target or whatever. To my thinking FMJ's are useless for anything but plinking & beware of shooting at hard targets because a FMJ will ricocet right back at you in a heartbeat. Be safe & resposible.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gunnrunner 12 please tell me why you are limited to only buying FMJ, or did I misunderstand you? Are you buying loaded ammo or components? If components, there are many reloading supply outlets that sell HP's, and SP's for reloading in bulk. Many of them sell HP's and SP's in bulk allready loaded. The only advantage of FMJ's over the other's is they seem to be cheaper. You don't happen to live in a unique place that doesn't allow you to own HP's or SP's? Just wondering!

·
Registered
541 Posts
The 223 is an excellent round for defeating vests,without Teflon.The trick to it is you want a high speed,small diameter projectile.The 22 mag will defeat a level II vest.I know.The 45 acp is easily stopped,fat & slow.Don't forget guys,there may come a day when you NEED to defeat body armor.Keep your options open... :sniper:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I believe the cop killers were made out of a hard metal possibly brass coated with teflon to protect the pistol bore. They didn't deform when they hit Kevlar, just went right through. I don't think a teflon coat on a conventional bullet will make it any better at penetrating body armor. They were very quickly banned.

And as G. Gordon Liddy said," aim for the face."

TC:cannon:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.