Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site. Acquired a mini 14 series 182 stainless from my dad after he passed. The gun is still in the box and has never had the first round run thru it. Don"t really know what to do with it except maybe just put it up. It is in new condition as I said. Never shot. I think he purchased it around 1980? Any suggestions? I'm more into handguns myself.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Minis are fun to shoot just like pistols. Get a box of ammo and puts some rounds thru it. Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can take a few. Fact is I just pulled it down to clean and lube everything and I haven"t put it back together yet. Has the wood stock and 18.5 inch barrel. To me it feels a little on the heavy side but I don"t know enough about it.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
A lot of the early minis will shoot good. They will take the same mags you find today and if you need help from Ruger, they still support them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that"s good to know. I"ve kinda been looking around the web and have seen all kinds of tricked-out guns and all so I may get the itch some day to go plinkin. I appreciate your reply. Have a good day. And I'll probably be back.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
New to the site. Acquired a mini 14 series 182 stainless from my dad after he passed. The gun is still in the box and has never had the first round run thru it. Don"t really know what to do with it except maybe just put it up. It is in new condition as I said. Never shot. I think he purchased it around 1980? Any suggestions? I'm more into handguns myself.
My suggestion:

Put the gun up and leave it alone. Since you admit your more of a pistol shooter, just keep the gun as a remembrance of your father. I wouldn't change a thing on the gun. Whatever you do, DO NOT SELL IT.

I would run a patch down the barrel, then put a piece of painters tap over the muzzle to keep dust out. Some guns are just meant to be safe queens and it sounds like this gun is a perfect candidate.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My suggestion:

Put the gun up and leave it alone. Since you admit your more of a pistol shooter, just keep the gun as a remembrance of your father. I wouldn't change a thing on the gun. Whatever you do, DO NOT SELL IT.

I would run a patch down the barrel, then put a piece of painters tap over the muzzle to keep dust out. Some guns are just meant to be safe queens and it sounds like this gun is a perfect candidate.
That is some very good advice. Your dad got it this far, without shooting it. Maybe you can pickup the torch for him and carry on?

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
That is some very good advice. Your dad got it this far, without shooting it. Maybe you can pickup the torch for him and carry on?
I disagree. The 181+ minis do not have any collector premium value( with a few very rare exceptions), even N.I.B. To me a gun is a tool (or toy) to be used. Take it out and shoot it! I think you will come to love your father's mini and get enjoyment out if it that he never had. If it just sits around unused in a box, its as useless as a dirtclod. So IMHO, either use it or sell it to someone who will use it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I disagree. The 181+ minis do not have any collector premium value( with a few very rare exceptions), even N.I.B. To me a gun is a tool (or toy) to be used. Take it out and shoot it! I think you will come to love your father's mini and get enjoyment out if it that he never had. If it just sits around unused in a box, its as useless as a dirtclod. So IMHO, either use it or sell it to someone who will use it.
:huh: I might shoot it but I would never sell if it was me.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'd shoot it. Slowly. And not touch a thing on it, other than maybe an S&K scope mount and/or Tech Sight. Nothing permanent, nothing that will leave a mark.

This isn't so much for collector (read: Monetary) value, but more for the purpose of maintaining the rifle in the same condition it was when passed down.

My 3 most valuable firearms aren't worth a sh¡t to anybody but me...
-- Mossberg 183K bolt-action .410
-- Savage pump-action 12 gauge
-- ARMSCOR (Philippine Arms) .22WMR bolt-action
...and that's because they were left to me by a man I miss every day of my life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts