Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, guys and girls, I find I now need a supply of Ruger Mini 14 223 10 rd magazines---best source? Does Ruger still make factory 10 rd mags and who should I buy them from? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I found Big 5 had factory 10rd mags. I was looking for 20's and asked one of the salesman about their mags. According to the salesman Big 5 is Calif. based and only has 5 and 10 rd. mags. Seemed odd that they would limit their non-Calif. stores. I figure it's a purchasing department thing and they are likely in Calif.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a bunch of Pro Mags and I have had no trouble with them at all. In fact,I can tell no difference between them and my Ruger 10 rnd. mag. except they don't have the Ruger logo,that's all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jyo,

I signed up to help out, but yeah I think misfire is correct there is a minimum-posts-before-PM rule.

Both were bought as 'new' on gunbroker, I opened one just to check fit and look. Fit fine, I just liked the look of 20s better. I'm just looking to break even on what I paid, which was about 33 each.

Since we can't PM, you can email me: trutemey 'at' bellsouth 'dot' net if you wish. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a bunch of Pro Mags and I have had no trouble with them at all. In fact,I can tell no difference between them and my Ruger 10 rnd. mag. except they don't have the Ruger logo,that's all.
I have a lot of 10 rd mags: about a dozen Pro Mag, some John Masen, a few clones from CDNN and 3 from Ruger (the first ones I bought after getting my 581 Ranch). To be honest, the only ones that were a problem were the Rugers - had to file the latching lug and drill out the locating pin hole on all three to get them so they could be properly inserted in the magwell. All the rest were (and continue to be) totally functional from the start. YMMV

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I to have had problems with the 10rnd Ruger mags. Hard to insert and remove from my 183.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 2 10-round Promags. One seems to have a feeding issue, had about 2 failures in maybe 40-50 rounds (nickel mags, not sure it makes a difference but hey), and on the other the bottom plastic buttplate wasnt quite manufactured well and half of it keeps falling off. I regrooved it with a flat head screwdriver and its OK, but not terribly impressed with the promags. I just picked up 2 tapco '10/30' mags- essentially 30 rounders pinned to 10 (I live in a restricted state...) and so far i like them. No feeding issues, easy to load in and out. Put about 50-60 rounds through each which is far from a thorough test, but thats where I'm at. Here's a link - they arrived about 2 weeks after I ordered. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, FYI, but for 17ish dollars i had to give them a try, so far so good. Tapco 10/30 Front Rivet Mini-14 5.56 Magazine
All that aside, i've had 0 failures with my factory 5 round mags, probably a few hundred through each of them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got some tapco mags. they would work in my skinny barrel 580 but not my 581 or vise versa. Tapco traded them for a stock because of the issue. Their customer service is superb if your rifle won't use the mags.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are looking for 10-round magazines to match a stainless Mini, I would go with John Masen(I got mine through Brownell's) but you will have to do some modifications to them as the bolt would not stay back on the last shot.

Adding to the issue was that the base plate was permanently installed....but not for long. After I fully investigated how my 5-round factory mag comes apart, I drilled out the dummy hole in the base and with a flat blade screwdriver and a little patience, I was able to remove it without trashing it. I then cut off the plastic tabs designed to hold it permanently in place and converted it to a mag that can be disassembled for cleaning. The Masen follower bolt hold-open tab was too short, so I ended up replacing it with a Ruger factory follower and there it was:

A nice looking 10-round nickel-plated mag that looks right at home along side my vintage nickel-plated Federal Ordnance mags. Oh, yes, and now the mag will actually hold an extra couple of rounds as well.

Woo-hoo! I love being able to fix things!:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.