Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

No Longer Involved
My opinion is, absolutely not!

Rebuilding a Garand actually DIMINISHES the value as a collectable. If you want to spend $$$ on a Garand, typically that money goes towards making it a match rifle, not to "restoring" it.

You can take a $400-500 starter Garand from the CMP, and replace the SAME parts and have it reparked and put on new wood and put $500, or more, back in your pocket.

OR, do what many of us do, and NOT refinish it (many don't strictly require it), do some mild refinishing on the ORIGINAL wood (much more authentic than new wood), and have a much more original item for around $600.

If you really want to spend the $$$, you can go to http://www.fulton-armory.com and order a Garand that has been rebuilt by the best in the business for about $1200. Even that is rich, although Fulton's reputation is bettered by nobody in the business. You can go to many others and get a great rifle for less.

I'm not putting down Miltech, I've not done any business with them. I just think their a little rich, and I also think that you might like a vintage Garand as much as a rebuilt one.

Here are some pictures of two of my Garands from the CMP:

CMP Garands

The 99 Colectors grade (a grade you cannot order today) is an all original HRA... the pix I took just after opening up the box. Just after that, I rubbed the stock down with Linseed oil, and rubbed the metal down with gun lube, and it is beautiful.

The 1999 Service Grade is now in the fancy Fajen wood, and looks like a million, but hasn't been refinish. I've got a total of about $525 in that gun, less the flash hider, but including the fancy wood.

Registered
I agree with the above post. I also want to point out that Miltech frequently has to alter the gas system to make their Garands work well.
They drill out the gas cylinder to a slightly larger size and smooth it out. A larger gas piston (on the op-rod) is then fitted to that gas cylinder. It isn't a very big change, but the rifle will never have the parts interchangability that they are supposed to have. Good luck finding a op-rod to fit that gas cylinder later on.

The CMP is the absolute bast way to get a Garand. You can even have it completely cherried out by a competent gunsmith for less than what Miltech charges.

Registered
My old Garand is some what original. It has been rebarreled to .308 but all other parts and wood are original. I am thinking about getting another 06 barrel for it just so I can go back to original if I want. I am in the process of doing the bedding and action work for a National match. The hardest part so far is getting the stock sealed. There is some vary large grain pockets to this one. It is just another one of those guns I will invest so much money into it that I will have to hang on to it for a 100 years before I can sell it and get my money out of it, or so I hope.

Registered
If you look at Fulton's Garand rifle page, they'll credit you $600 if you send in a "good" rifle and $300 for a "good" receiver. CMP sell's rifle's for $400 and reciever for $200. Do the math! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts