Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start loading 30-06 for the M1 Garand and 1903A3 and was wondering which tool reloaders on the board here use to remove the military primer crimp? I was considering what RCBS calls a pocket swager and also the Lyman primer pocket reamer. What are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many years ago I bought a primer pocket swager made by CH. I believe it is very similar to the one sold by RCBS. These units mount on your press and quickly remove the military primer crimp.You can do the chore with a Lyman reamer or a pocket knife but the swager is the way to go, especially if you have a good number of cases to prepare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Used one of the rcbs swagers a few years ago to set up 3000 military 30-06 shells, worked fine. I had used the hand held reamer to do small quantities before, but the swager forms the primer perfectly. The hand reamer can cause too much metal to be removed if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use a drill bit of the proper size. You must be very careful not to remove too much metal. I have been doing this on .223,.308 and haven't had a problem yet. Don't remove too much.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been using the Dillon Super Swage when reloading LC cases and it has to be one of the best purchases I've made for the hobby.

--
Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
RCBS Primer Pocket Swager is a good setup. I use it. The only con to the RCBS is be very careful to sort brass by headstamp and lot or your guarenteed to run into a thick one and bend the rod!
Ask me how I know.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bowmanpa,

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager (combo) Part #09495.
Once you set it up it you can fly through it.

socal pilgrim

lock & load :ar15:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts