Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here goes. I am not very knowledgeable on Garands but a fellow is selling 2 M1 garands in .308 both national match, glas bedded and were used by his brother in competition at Camp Perry. I am trying to get pics and more info. Can anyone help with what I should look for and price ranges. I know the info is a little vague but hopefully I will know more soon. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ron
:beer:

·
Registered
85 Posts
the front and rear sights should be nation match marked NM the barrel too should be marked .308 on the side when you pull the handle back. Inside there should be a 3/4" block in the front of the mag well, this keeps the shorter .308 rounds in place when firing. If there's not one and they tell you that it doesn't need it then I would buy it. Pun intended. Also the stock will have stock bedding compound around the rear of the reciever should be able to see it with the gun still together. Reciever should fit very tight in the stock so don't be surprised if he doesnt want to pull it apart. Also price range should be $1000-1500.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The magazine filler block is not required for feeding or keeping the 308 cartridges in place. It's only purpose is to prevent the loading of the longer 30-06 rounds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wrong, It keeps the rounds from sliding out of the clip under recoil. I had one and after 3-4 shots the rounds started sliping out of the clip and jamming up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well 2manythings- did you end up getting yourself one of them thar .308 Garands? If so how much did you end up paying? Just curious. :D :usa:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I did not pick up one those garands. Just didnt have the cash to spare. If I remember correctlyhe wanted $800 @ for them. Probably will kick myself for not takinng them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
$800 sounds like a fair price if the barrels are not shot out and the bedding is still good. Almost any good Garand now sells for $550 - 600 nowadays (except a "Tanker", which will be much lower unless it was done by someone like Ron Smith and is mil-spec reliable).

-- cw

·
Registered
111 Posts
My M1 is in .308. I do not use a magazine filler block and my rounds stay in the clip and feed just fine. The .308 rounds actually fit tighter in the clip than .30-'06 rounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just as a general guide to buying guns. Don't buy above your level of knowledge. That is, become totally familiar with what's been written on what you want to buy including such publicationsas the Garand Collectors Association journal. At that point you'll know what questions to ask the seller who might be misrepresenting through ignorance or malice what they are selling. It's like the old saw "Buy the gun not the story"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts