Perfect Union banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
4,116 Posts
This might be nothing, but when looking at the pic of the underside of your Mini, down through the magwell, I >>think<< I see some items protruding into the magwell from the sides.

Did the problem with inserting/removing the trigger guard first occur when you began using the new stock, or did you encounter the same problem with the original stock?

The trigger group looks to be in the right place and seated, but not locked into place. Take a look inside the magwell, and see if there is anything hung-up or being forced inwards. I'll bet you will find it difficult to insert a magazine--but don't force it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This might be nothing, but when looking at the pic of the underside of your Mini, down through the magwell, I >>think<< I see some items protruding into the magwell from the sides.

Did the problem with inserting/removing the trigger guard first occur when you began using the new stock, or did you encounter the same problem with the original stock?

The trigger group looks to be in the right place and seated, but not locked into place. Take a look inside the magwell, and see if there is anything hung-up or being forced inwards. I'll bet you will find it difficult to insert a magazine--but don't force it!
Mag went in and out without any problem. I don’t know what I did differently but I got it out. I reached in and pushed hammer down until it locked. I was able to move the safety to on position, this time trigger guard open like it was supposed to and I was able to pull the trigger assembly out! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Fired my mini 30 for the 1st time this weekend and it fell apart! I had to keep slapping the trigger assembly back in. Looks like the trigger guard is not holding because I can jerk it out with my fingers! I guess I going to try to bend the blasted thing till it holds!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fired my mini 30 for the 1st time this weekend and it fell apart! I had to keep slapping the trigger assembly back in. Looks like the trigger guard is not holding because I can jerk it out with my fingers! I guess I going to try to bend the blasted thing till it holds!
My newest Mini 30 did the same thing. It came with a laminate stock. After trying a few adjustments with the trigger guard, etc. it still would drop out. I FINALLY measured the top to bottom distance of several wood and one synthetic stock and got a much shorter thickness. I shaved off the top side of the laminate stock until I was at the synthetic stock thickness and I have not had the problem again.
Let me know if you need the measurement that my synthetic stock has.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,116 Posts
You mentioned that the Hogue stock was "new". Do you have the "original" stock? Did these sort of problems occur with the "original" stock? If not, swap back to original stock, and see if problems persist.

If no problems, then issue is due to Hogue stock. If problems continue with both OEM Ruger stock and the Hogue stock, please report back.

If problems are due to Hogue stock, might want to contact Hogue about this; maybe they can offer suggestions, or swap the current and unmodified Hogue stock for another one.

San14 might be onto something. If Hogue is of no help, then suggest you find where the differences in dimensions are between the original stock and the Hogue stock, and modify the Hogue stock to suit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You mentioned that the Hogue stock was "new". Do you have the "original" stock? Did these sort of problems occur with the "original" stock? If not, swap back to original stock, and see if problems persist.

If no problems, then issue is due to Hogue stock. If problems continue with both OEM Ruger stock and the Hogue stock, please report back.

If problems are due to Hogue stock, might want to contact Hogue about this; maybe they can offer suggestions, or swap the current and unmodified Hogue stock for another one.

San14 might be onto something. If Hogue is of no help, then suggest you find where the differences in dimensions are between the original stock and the Hogue stock, and modify the Hogue stock to suit.
I swapped back to the original stock and can still pull the trigger assembly out with a firm pull. I’ve never had problems with a Ruger before…sigh.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Post a pic of the assembled rifle, specifically the area of the receiver & trigger guard.

Your trigger guard is most likely bent so that it doesn't have enough spring tension to keep itself locked in place.

Your trigger guard should be pretty snug against the bottom of the Hogue stock and the rubber overmold should crush a bit to lock the action in pretty firmly. With proper spring tension in the trigger guard it shouldn't just fall out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks fairly normal.

What amount of force does it take to latch the rear of the trigger guard closed?

See if this post helps.....

·
Formerly "raf"
4,116 Posts
Since problem exists with both stocks, suggest root of problem is with trigger guard. Linked old post above provides useful info, IMHO. Suggest OP take barreled action out of the stock, and insert unlatched trigger group into the stock receiver. Don't forget to cock the hammer, and set safety to "ON".

Gently push the trigger-guard downwards as if trying to latch it. Examine the "hooks" that latch into the "legs" of the receiver for correct alignment and correct engagement with respect to slots for the "hooks" in the "legs" of the receiver. If necessary, gantly bend the "hooks" to align them properly with the slots for them in the "legs" of the receiver. Give the "hooks" and the slots for them a dab of grease to aid in closing the "hooks", and to prevent wear at this critical point.

I suspect that the rear of the trigger guard has been slightly bent, and the latch is not engaging with enough force to keep it closed. Reading post above should give enough info to adjust things.

Ideally, the trigger-guard/latch should exhibit some definite resistance to being pushed into closing position about 1/2" or so before being in fully-closed position, sometimes at a lesser distance; you want the trigger group to tightly clamp the barreled action, the stock, and the trigger group together. You should need to use a tool, like a Phillips screwdriver, in order to unlatch the fully-closed trigger guard. You should need to give the slightly open trigger guard a good smack with the palm of your hand while supporting the rest of the rifle, to fully close it and lock it into position.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Suggest OP take barreled action out of the stock, and insert unlatched trigger group into the stock. Don't forget to cock the hammer, and set safety to "ON".
I think ya meant RECEIVER

Pretty sure the issue is the trigger guard and spring tension holding it latched. Pretty simple.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts