Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not very often since I found a way to 'recharge' the media. When it sort of starts taking longer to tumble the brass to get the desired results, I add about a teaspoon(approx.) of rubbing compound to the walnut media, or a teaspoon of polishing compound to the corn media, seems to extend the life of both media and give really nice results.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The guy i bought my tumbler from told me about every two thousand rounds for corn cob unless you are really slathering on the resizing lube. I don't know about the recharging deal as one of the reasons I tumble is to remove the lube. Clean is good, shiny, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been reloading for many years. Don't try to keep your tumbling media too long it get dirty from dirt and case lube. You can buy walnut hulls crushed from pet stores in the reptile section, they use it for reptile houses. This stuff workes well and is cheaper than polishing media. Add about 3 table spoons of Dillion liquid polish available from Dillion percision .com. Above all don't use anything that has ammonia in it . It will weaken brass cases. Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I change mine about every 5 or 6 full loads. Turtle Wax sells an ammonia free liqued wax thats just as good as Dillons and cheaper to boot.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's a few tricks I learned. Put a few strips of paper towel in with your brass, the paper towel will collect a lot of the dirt. You can also let your tumbler run with the lid off outside on a windy day and the dust will blow away. You can also buy cheap media at pet stores, they sell corn cob and walnut grinds for animal cages.

·
Registered
48 Posts
txrfyrguy,

Another trick is to use pieces of clothes dryer static sheets instead of the paper towels. They REALLY grab the dirt and dust out of the media!

Personally, I've YET to change out my media after about a year & a half's use. I haven't used it heavily, but have recharged the final clean corn media 3 or 4 times with Flitz or Midway's polish and the walnut media I use for the 1st cleaning I just add a couple of ozs of mineral spirits every so often and let mix with the lid off - to keep down the fume build up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mark, Thanks for the tip. I'll try just about anything to keep cost down, after thats one of the reasons why I reload! And buying the media every time it gets a little dirty gets expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts