Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been thinking about selling my AR's and replace them with a Mini-14.
Just have to talk my wife into the idea.
She really likes the AR's but I haven't taken her out to shoot a Mini yet. I'm kinda over my AR craze and want more practical, which for me is the Mini.
Lighter, handles better, fits in the truck better and accuracy is Very good. And no AR's gets me off the Commiefornia radar.
So to me it's a win win.
Thoughts?

·
Cognitive Dissident
3,099 Posts
Own both.

If they take the ARs and not the Minis you'll be ok.

I believe they won't be satisfied until they take both.

Frankly, I think we have to stop them from taking anything.

Reactions: hylander

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to admit it's painful to deal with CA compliance on AR or semi-auto rifles that look evil. Every few years, new legislation aiming at tougher rules. It's a money pit to constantly upgrade to latest compliance gadgets or have to go featureless once for all.

Logos is also correct. So far the Mini is not on the spotlight (yet). But I am afraid anits will not let that go if they have chance. Just in lower tier of priority for now. Do what make sense to you situation as long as you and your wife enjoy it.

* I kept telling people the ammo purchase restriction took place a couple of years ago is by far the worse infringement of gun ownership.*

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had a mini for many years and I've always enjoyed it very much that is why I still have it. 2 years ago, I went through an AR-15 faze and bought several and while I do enjoy them the mini is my go-to rifle. To me it's much more enjoyable to shoot and while my AR's sit in the safe the mini see's much more action. I never really thought about selling the AR's as I don't know what the future brings, I just think at some point in the near future they will be worth a bit more to me and everyone else.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have Minis (a 14 and a 30), several AR15s, and AK, a Ruger PC9, and M1 Carbine, and more recently a Kel-tec RDB-C Cali-legal bullpup .223. My Mini-14 (1990 Ranch) is still my go-to WTSHTF rifle. The Mini-30 is a close second.

The RDB-C, though has potential. Despite how short it is, it has a full 20" 1/7 twist barrel and takes AR mags. I have a range day scheduled on the 12th after I pick it up.

It's still in Comiefornia 10 day jail. I have a SIG Romeo 5 ordered for it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My next purchase is going to be a fightlite scr lower and .450 bushmaster upper. This will give me the option of easily changing to any centerfire caliber.

I don't have anything against ars but would like a regular grip and mag release, imo all of the mag locks "compliance magazine releases" make the gun more dangerous if it jams and would make it totally useless in an emergency.

If there was a big bore mini 14 I'd probably look at that. Aside from a bula defense m1a I don't know of any other auto loading bb besides a ar15 platform.

Reactions: snoopdog869

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
So been thinking about selling my AR's and replace them with a Mini-14.
Just have to talk my wife into the idea.
She really likes the AR's but I haven't taken her out to shoot a Mini yet. I'm kinda over my AR craze and want more practical, which for me is the Mini.
Lighter, handles better, fits in the truck better and accuracy is Very good. And no AR's gets me off the Commiefornia radar.
So to me it's a win win.
Thoughts?
I have too many AR's. I have several that never get shot. They are good uppers and I hate to move them but I am seriously thinking it's time to lighten the load. I have run out of room in the lockers and safes and they are banging into each other. I hate to do it because the prices are down but I'm thinking it's time as well. I plan on keeping the lowers just in case something new bites me but I have pretty much decided that something has to go. I don't have the California issues like you do so moving them should be easier.

kwg

·
Registered
494 Posts
One of my ancient regrets woeking for NYC was confiscating both ARs and Minis from city residents for the unforgivable crime of not paying thier taxes (AKA re-upping thier rifle/shotgun permits. Think nowadays 150 annual). Thirty days at Property, then the city burns them. Believe they do that to evidence and stolen guns too. Part of the problem of low conviction rates.

They definitely want YOU to have nothing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My first AR was a factory Colt A2. It was as accurate as my LRB and cost 541 taxed. I sold it to a "friend" specifically to avoid a NYC ban and he sold it because he was not a rifle guy. I will never sell another.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Give the Keltec 5 years to work out the kinks their last AR competitor did not exactly inspire confidence
I have Minis (a 14 and a 30), several AR15s, and AK, a Ruger PC9, and M1 Carbine, and more recently a Kel-tec RDB-C Cali-legal bullpup .223. My Mini-14 (1990 Ranch) is still my go-to WTSHTF rifle. The Mini-30 is a close second.

The RDB-C, though has potential. Despite how short it is, it has a full 20" 1/7 twist barrel and takes AR mags. I have a range day scheduled on the 12th after I pick it up.

It's still in Comiefornia 10 day jail. I have a SIG Romeo 5 ordered for it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The RDB-C came out 7 years ago. I have been tracking it, and they do seem to have the bugs out. I doubt it will replace the Minis for me, but it looks to be an interesting piece of kit. I do like the 20" barrel. It gives 3300 FPS out of Federal/Lake City M193 55 grainers. I have seen the damage M193 does from a 20" AR platform....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Lots of aftermarket rails and stuff for it, and Kel Tec warranty and service have been getting A+ from users, though pandemic has slowed things.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,318 Posts
RDB firearms will accept a +$175 Aluminum fore-end. Probably a device some users will want, as attaching many accessories to the OEM plastic fore-end will be problematic.

$20 accessory mag well flare might be desirable for many users, but appears flimsy, from pix. Replacing mags on bull-pups can often be problematic, and a flare added to the mag well might be very useful in some situations.

Curious about the feel of the "traditional" hand grip, and whether it allows the thumb of shooting hand to wrap around the rifle, aiding in weapon's retention.

What will tell the tale is how good the trigger is. Many bullpups have problems in ths area, due to long, convoluted linkage, although some can be massaged into a decent status.

Text says for "Hunter" version of rifle : "10 or any AR15 compatible magazine" . All other versions of the rifle say: "20 or any AR15 Magazine". Would be interesting to know if this is a typo, because some locales limit semiauto firearms to 10-rd mags.

Presumably the "Mag-Block" device can be used, but loading such a "blocked" mag looks to be even more difficult than on an AR, to take one example, perhaps going on impossible.

Info on mfrs/vendors of accessories for these rifles, as well as any forums devoted to these firearms, would be very useful.

I'm keeping an open mind.

Looking forward to results of range test.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I will have to say, the RDB-C is definitely a step or two above the SU16. (I have had several of those through the years).

It does allow the thumb over the top for retention. It is not a typo. They sat "10" and ship with a 10 to meet compliance, Non-ban state versions ship with a Magpul 20. I have legal Magpul 20s and 30s (as well as aluminum) and they fit the ban state versions fine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I vastly prefer to DIY when it comes to parts and servicing and only defer to others when absolutely neccessary. Not so long ago I still had access to my old department armorers until a visiting state trooper had an accident in the gun shop.

It's a pain but it is possible to find even Ruger parts. Other then extractor/ejector, firing pin and trigger parts plus associated springs there's not much that needs replacing. Good luck getting any shipped when blm/antifa are stalking an adjacent neighborhood

1 - 20 of 30 Posts