Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The catalog listing for match bushings states that they require fitting. Has anyone ever installed a match bushihng and what kind/extent of fitting was required? Did the barrel have to be polished or did the bushing have to be machined or could you get by with polishing the bushing?

·
Registered
291 Posts
The bushings are oversized. It requires the inside of the slide to be ground down somewhat and the barrel must be tapered along toward the chamber. Some places that sell match barrels sell the bushing with the barrel.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the barrel larger in diameter at the barrel end? In any event this isn't something one would do with hand tools.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, that will allow a tight lock up with the bushing and prevent wear when the slide moves to the rear. Check Brownells, they offer some good quality match barrels for less than $150 that can be installed with a dremmel tool.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Geno
Yes, that will allow a tight lock up with the bushing and prevent wear when the slide moves to the rear. Check Brownells, they offer some good quality match barrels for less than $150 that can be installed with a dremmel tool.
Don't have a dremmel but what all is involved?
Where can I get a decent set of instructions on how to disassemble a 1991A1? I have a USArmy armorer's manual on maintenance of the 1911 but it assumes you have the basic knowledge to disassemble the weapon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try:

http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

Pay close attention to the disconnector / sear relationship before and as it comes out of the frame and that little leg that rides the back of the trigger which cams up the firing pin lock, for proper reassembly (if its series 80). Its not that hard, just dont force anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On of the best manuals to have concerning gunsmithing for .45 Colt's and clones is "the colt .45 automatic" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. There is no problem that you can't solve. I highly recommend his works.

·
Registered
88 Posts
More importantly, I've swaged open the end of the barrels, way back when, with a ball bearing in the muzzle , the barrel vertical in a vise, a hunk of lead supporting the back end of the barrel, and a hammer. I've used a tapered punch to swage open the original bushing to make it a tight fit in the slide. You do NOT cut on $100+ slides, you cut on $15 bushings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts