Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is with a 6 to 16 power light gathering scope.

I initially rough sighted it at 25 yards which is not shown and then went to a 100 yard target. Here is the results. First shot was 3 1/2 high and a bit left. I dialed in some more windage to get out an inch left to check the windage clicks on the scope. Third shot was the eye of the bull. Shot 2 more to verify so these are hot barrel shots.

Rounds used were my own loads.
Hornady 165 grain SST
57 grains Hodgdon 4350
WLR primer

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish I had you around to sight in guns for me...I'd even supply the ammo for it!

My Marlin XL7 is in .308, and has a Nikon 3-9X40 on it. I have a target remaining from my sighting it in several years ago...It has 4 shots, and if you'd put one on your target, pretty much nudging the edges of all three others, you'd have that target.

I have a Savage 30-06, but with advancing age and mental deterioration, I can't quite get it up to your specs, not by any means.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Savage is supposed to shoot pretty good. It was one of the final 3 I looked at along with the XL7 and the Remington. I took a big chance on the Marlin but looking at the adjustable trigger and the fluted bolt I hoped they had done a decent job. Mine is definitely a shooter. Once I got it broke in and got my hand loads down I can shoot a clover leaf at 100 like that. It is actually boring to shoot it at 100. I need to do some work at 200 and 400 with my gun but I would have to travel some to a longer range. Ours only goes out to 150.

I would check the stock for interference with the free floating section of the gun barrel. I had this problem with my Marlin. There was on spot about an inch long that was too close to the barrel and caused hot barrel groups to loosen up. If your gun has a birch stock I would replace it. The birch tends to warp. If its walnut or the polymer accustock it should be fine but I would still check it.

Make sure all your screws are consistently the same tight. The other thing I do is shoot heavier bullets. I have never seen a 30.06 that liked the 150 grain stuff although I suppose they are around. That is why I run the 165's and that is even on the low end of acceptable for accuracy based on what little I have done. I won't be hunting anything but deer, wild pigs and possibly some varmits with my gun so the 165 is fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have only used 150s for years and get great groups. Have gotten fat eating venison from them. They shoot just a wee bit "flatter" than 165/168/180s and travel faster. That speed difference is what I count on to instantly stop that heart/lung from functioning.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you hand load yours and if so what is your load? I have BLC2, 4895 and 4350 for rifle. Those are all Hodgdon. I haven't bought any Varget. I may have better luck loading 150's with Varget. I will probably work up some with it sometime in my spare time which I don't have any.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I wish I had you around to sight in guns for me...I'd even supply the ammo for it!

My Marlin XL7 is in .308, and has a Nikon 3-9X40 on it. I have a target remaining from my sighting it in several years ago...It has 4 shots, and if you'd put one on your target, pretty much nudging the edges of all three others, you'd have that target.

I have a Savage 30-06, but with advancing age and mental deterioration, I can't quite get it up to your specs, not by any means.
you should be able to zero within about 10 rounds... if your optic is worth anything... meaning that if it says 4 or 8 clicks to the inch at 100 it will move the grou THAT MUCH with that many clicks when you adjust it...

3 shots at 50.. adjust a GROUP AVERAGE.... never single shots... or you will be ****ing around all day and pulling your hair out and run out of ammo...

·
Registered
833 Posts

you should be able to zero within about 10 rounds... if your optic is worth anything... meaning that if it says 4 or 8 clicks to the inch at 100 it will move the group THAT MUCH with that many clicks when you adjust it...

3 shots at 50... and then adjust the group average... move to 100 and fire three more... readjust and fire three more to verify you are where you are supposed to be... if you need to fire three at 25 to start then you will be shooting 12 or 13 rounds... remember... always adjust a GROUP AVERAGE.... never single shots... or you will be ****ing around all day and pulling your hair out and run out of ammo... it isnt rocket science.. just so long as you are shooting GROUPS... not single shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts