Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like the marlin lever pivot action, and am concerned about the winchester lever pivot/whole lotta angles and steel that comes down. anyone have any comments on the "naturalness", durability, and smoothness of the winchester in use? it just seems awkward to me. any advantages over the marlin?

·
Registered
540 Posts
OK Vel - I'll bite -
Both designs have been around for like 100 years!
So both work, both are reliable and durable and proven.
So as it is with a lot of things in the gun world -
Which one do YOU like?
Trust your instincts Grasshopper!
Which one will sit in your gun rack and scream to you "Take me hunting"?
Which one do you pick up, bring to your shoulder, cycle the action and you say to yourself "oh yeah!"
That's the one!

Oh yeah, now you have to choose which caliber....hmmm, the 30-30 has been around for like a 100 years..... ;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am a big fan of the lever gun, the winchester takes alot of criticism over ejecting spent casings from the top. But it is smoothe reliable and a darn good shooter. Personally I own both but I do prefer the Marlin. And the reason for that is the model 336 is a smooth better feeling gun in my hands. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Marlin Marlin Marlin. Well I think you can see how I feel. I bought my first rifle a Marlin 336 in 1976 with paper route money. Why did I buy the Marlin when evereybody was screeming Winchester? The way the grip felt in my hands. I have laid to rest 9 California Deer with that old gun and will probably make it more if any cross my path. If the Winchester felt the same I would probably be writing about that rifle instead. Like the man said put it to your shoulder and see if it fits.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another vote for Marlin I love my 336 only problem I seem to want the new .44 mag in stainless now too ! They kinda reproduce ya know ! :usa:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just looked at a 45-70 in stainless, Marlin sure knows how to hurt a guy! I may have to rent an apartment and visit it on weekends. My wife is ready to divorce my guns now.:usa:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hear ya my wife probably hopes one day my list will be complete but she doesn't really complain much there are much worse things to spend money on than guns ! :usa:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, but I have more money in ammo and reloading than I do guns. Thats the stuff that pulls me into the garage at night.:usa:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have both a Marlin and a Winchester. The Marlin is an 1894 in .357 Mag and the lever action is very smooth. My Winchester is an angle eject Trapper in .44 Mag and is nowhere as smooth due to the different linkage used. Both are accurate and reliable so I just wanted one of each. The .44 has peep sights and very handy for carry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both are good guns, winchester for a while had some weird stamped parts, it depends on how old and what caliber, 22's marlin wins with the 39, big bore marlin wins with the 450 mag, I've had a 458 x 2" for years in a straight pull steyr 95. good cartridge. I don't like the stamped extractor on the marlins. seems to me for heavy use where no service is available a vintage style 94 is about tops, More modern winchesters the 358 was great. make sure you have a good rear sight some were kind of weak. model 86 clones would be good for winchester fanatics, as would 92's in 44 mag.
I've always wanted to restock an old winchester with petrified wood for display, call me a fanatic.
If you look at the savage 99 that is a verry strong rifle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a Savage model 99 in 308, what a reliable gun! The best part is that you can use pointed tip projectiles in the rotary magazine.:usa:

·
Registered
723 Posts
It really comes down to a matter of opinion, the Winchester is a good gun no doubt. But the Marlin is better built and is more accurate due to its Micro Groove Rifling. I believe the Marlin would out last the Winchester over the years. I have both guns in different calibers and lets put it this way I would hate to get rid of either one. Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You'll find the Marlin is built better and stronger than the current Winchesters, don't confuse new ones with pre-64's. Also the Marlins are heavier, which is important with the big bores for recoil. I noticed the difference immediately in the 80's when a neighbor bought a Winny out of nostalgia. I had a Marlin 336 and both were .30-30's. We shot both and I HATED the Winny in comparison. It was clunky, light and annoying!

Marlin is the ONLY way to go!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ok now, are Ivanimal and I the only ones to take up for the Savage 99. My 99F shoots rings around my early 94 or 336.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own several of Both Marlins and winchesters :) all my Marlins wear Scopes
and all my 94's have peep sights .A scoped Marlin Feel Right and a model 94 with peep sights feel right BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.If i could only have one model it would be the Winchester because it feels like it belongs in my hands ;)

G

·
:cannon: The winchester is a fine gun, but I've owned 4 marlins now. My sone cut his teeth on a 336 30/30. The feel great, they shoot great.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I also have to say the Marlin 10-1 not only are they reliable and accurate the 336 has alot of attention paid to detail and is very sharp.Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marlin.
No comparison when it comes to design, manufacturing, handling and accuracy.

A Marlin is heavier to carry and usually costs more, but you get what you pay for.

I have both a Winchester and Marlin.

If you appreciate quality, buy a Marlin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i personally perfer winchester have three lever rifles including my flip special
an originally 1892 44-40 with the big lever 20 inch barrel - the rifleman

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Marlin-just lift them both and see which is better. Plus the Marlin is cleanable from the breech. :usa:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts