Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Marlin 60 .22lr for about 25 years and shot over 3000 rounds through it without a single cleaning. After having sat for 10 years, I went to shoot it and it would jam between rounds. I cleaned it once and added perhaps too much oil. It shot fine for 15 shots then started jamming again.

Since then, I disassembled everything I could possibly disassemble (bolt/receiver--everything except firing pin and extractors). I lightly oiled it and ran 15 rounds through by hand-emptying the chamber. It seemed to be fine, but I haven't had a chance to actually fire it yet.

If this does not do the trick, does anyone have any suggestions? When it jams, the spent casing is not being drawn from the chamber before the next bullet is going in. The extractor pins (outside and inside) seem to be fine and there is good tension on the springs.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I have had this happen to one of my Model 60s as well. You may have to replace the feed throat, as they seem to wear out easily. When I replaced mine, the problem disappeared.

The feed throat is the shiny block of metal in the front. This is where the cartridges feed from the magazine, up into the chamber.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will try to get out tomorrow and shoot it. If it still jams, I know what to replace now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I got one of those in a trade few years back, sold it to my nephew. It hadn't been shot much and didn't malfunction, He stripped and thoroughly cleaned, tightened what needed and put a 4X scope on. That thing is accurate. He practices offhand with SuperX's on walnuts at 50 paces and never misses. Good shooting .22 and he says it's his go-to for SHTF, he has one of those tubular loading cylinders for fast reloads. I wouldn't want him plinking at me at 100 yards for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Oh they are GREAT .22s to be sure. When they function correctly.

A thorough cleaning is always a good start.

One more suggestion. After the rifle is thoroughly cleaned, and you put the action back into the stock, DO NOT overtighten the take down screws! Just snug them. If the are too tight, the rifle will malfunction, and not cycle properly. I have had this happen to my Model 60s. For some reason, overly tightened screws will bind up the action and it will not cycle.

Try that too!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after firing off the first 5 rounds, the problem seemed to have disappeared. However, it started again jamming virtually every round. I will re-try with looser take-down screws. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try to find a feed throat for it--or buy the 10/22 I have always wanted 8^}

BTW, the gun is very accurate. I am not the best shot in the world, but on a windy day with open sights, I shot 2" group @ 50 yds.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Yes, the Marlins are VERY accurate right out of the box.

Try loosening the screws. That will help. It did with mine.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
mathteacher, have you been using the same type of ammo every time? It could be that your rifle just doesn't like a certain brand. My model 60 jams and performs exactly like you are describing when I try to run Federal American Eagle through it. Switch to something else and give it another try.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You might be just gummed up. I don't like putting oil in a 22 receiver. Take it a part strip the bolt and clean everything good. pay attention to the ejectors which one go were they are two different sizes. Spray silicone lube on a rag and wipe down the bolt and the receiver. All so don't oil the tube magazine most gun oils will attack the brass and make it hard to pull in and out clean and silicone lube it also. I do this every 500 rounds in between cleanings i just give the barrel a shot of break-free and run a boresnake once though the barrel.

Mike

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mod-60

Do the rounds jam-into the top edge of the chamber throat, or at the flat base at the bottom of the barrel?

I've had problems with them not being lifted high enough to enter the open chamber and had to fix the shell carrier spring or replace it altogether. If your Mod-60 is one that has the bolt hold-open lever at the front of the trigger guard, this spring might be your problem since it powers both that part and the shell carrier.

Be careful when cleaning that you don't get lint, etc into those many parts within the removeable sear/hammer/feed housing.
I just went back and re-read your original description of the problem. (Sorry for the oversight).

Have you checked the chamber to see if there's even a small rust spot or other obstruction? In the old days when .22's were marked ".22 short, long or long-rifle" sometimes using a lot of shorts tended to develop an erosion ring in the chamber at the point where the gasses left the casemouth and longer cases would expand into this ring, causing extraction jams like you describe. (Debris or rust could cause the same problem, and if it's sat for as long as you say it would be a good idea to brush and solvent the chamber thoroughly. If you have a rust pit you may be S.O.L.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
mine has rarely jamed and it had a bunch of sand in it sence i first got itwith countless rounds before i decided take it apart and clean it but i have leasrned with 22s always carry a very small pocket knife

·
Banned
835 Posts
Oh they are GREAT .22s to be sure. When they function correctly.

A thorough cleaning is always a good start.

One more suggestion. After the rifle is thoroughly cleaned, and you put the action back into the stock, DO NOT overtighten the take down screws! Just snug them. If the are too tight, the rifle will malfunction, and not cycle properly. I have had this happen to my Model 60s. For some reason, overly tightened screws will bind up the action and it will not cycle.

Try that too!

Good Luck!
I think this is one of the most valuable pieces of info applicable to the Marlin 60. Not only does the proper torque on the takedown screw help with jams but it makes all the difference when it comes to accuracy.
These guys shoot incredibly well if they're torqued right!

SD

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think this is one of the most valuable pieces of info applicable to the Marlin 60. Not only does the proper torque on the takedown screw help with jams but it makes all the difference when it comes to accuracy.
These guys shoot incredibly well if they're torqued right!

SD
I will try this. Thanks!
I have one Model 60 that shoots super accurate and another that shoots like an AK.
Coincidentally, they both jam up with CCI ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts