Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Savage-Stevens Model 987 .22 autoloading rifle. My buddy has a Marlin Model 60 and, yes, I know the Marlin 60 is the most popular .22 rifle in the history of the planet.

Anyway, when you put the two side by side, they're nearly identical. In fact, the only differewnce we've discovered is that the 987 does not lock the slide open after the final round is fired. Here's my question for the .22 purists...Are the parts interchangeable between these two rifles? Anyone tried?

If they are, the 987 becomes somewhat more "attractive" as we all know parts are readily available for the Model 60, the most popular and best-selling .22 rifle in the history of the universe.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
The Marlin model 60 looks almost identical to the Mossberg Plinkster as well, but the parts are not interchangeable. I would guess that the parts from the SAVAGE are not interchangeable either.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But, guessing is not allowed...

Anyone actually try it? I'm wondering if perhaps Marlin produced the same rifle under a few different names. I know Western Auto and Sears sold .22 rifles like this too, and those companies surely weren't producing them.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Hey, well I tried.
You could disassemble both rifles, and try to interchange parts.

Sure guessing is allowed!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I sure could...then I would have 2 piles to look at, and nothing left to shoot.

Seriously, I might do that, but I'm not sure my buddy trusts my smithing skills enough to allow me to take apart his most famous .22 rifle since Adam and Eve.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Two piles, and nothing left to shoot. Exactly. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Check Numrich Master Catalogue, they're good as a cross reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts