Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow memebers, I am considering starting to shop for a marlin 1895 in .45/70 with the 18.5" barrel. Do any of you have experience with this rifle? It will be my first lever gun, since I have always been a bolt and semi-auto man. I'm kind of just looking for a rifle that will be small and easy to pack around, but still pack hella punch. Also, I would like a new one, but might consider a good used one. I live in Missouri, and there are quite a few gun shows that I go to, but I was wondering what a good price would be on a used one. Anyway, I would appreciate any information you have to share. Thanks, and good shooting.

Adaman

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Marlin 1895 will get it done in Spades.

You might consider the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. That's the most "packable" rifle Marlin makes in a 47-70. They even produce one in "Stainless Steel" (not entirely true because some of the internal parts are plated).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm looking in to. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Adaman

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love my Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle in 45-70. The recoil is a bit stiffer than my 45-70 TC Contender with muzzlebrake in rifle format; so for a 45-70 with an 18 inch barrel, I'd recommend the Guide Gun in the ported version if you can find it.

But ported or not, the 1895 is a joy!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, yeah I like the ported version a lot better. My Mossberg 835 is ported and the recoil is quite different from the non-ported versions.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:D I"ve got an 1895 45-70 rifle with the long barrel because of the ranges where I hunt,also I like to get all of the velocity that I can from my handloads,i.e. more energy.Not ported.If I were to get a short 1895 It would DEFINATELY be ported-just to keep the muzzle down! :lol: :sniper:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto magnomark. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know why Marlin eliminated the ports on the current-production Guide Guns?

I've been looking for a ported 1895GS for some time now and I haven't found one yet.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
:eek: KABOOM in a deer stand,those ports are loud!.they were worried about getting sued for hearing damage to hunters(no ear plugs).I heard that on the old marlin forum that marlin was going to start replacing ported barrels for $35.00.????
I have a ltd 45/70 and love it my bud has a guide gun and loves it ports and all but for real they are plenty loud.
pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
txpete,

Thanks for the response. I have a 444P Outfitter with a ported barrel and it is LOUD, but I like the gun a lot. I think that the ported barrel helps with recoil, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. I hope that all of that extra noise is doing something.

It's really a shame that Marlin is forced to worry so much about litigation. I miss their message board. I never registered, but I managed to read many posts before their lawyers told them to shut it down.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;) If you like "good ports" then send the gun to Magnaport inc.,they do an excellent job. :sniper:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a marlin 1895SS :D And its a great gun.But I do not care for the ones with ports they are to loud for me.They make my ears ring for hours afther I shoot them.But you would be hard pressed to find a 45/70 any better than the 1895.

D.D.444

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
:eek:
adaman04,
45/70 is an excellent round. i have never had or shot a 45/70 marlin, but they are heavy loaded and empty. they become unballanced if the ammo tube is full.

if you are a bolt person check out "gibbs rifles" no.4 mkII lee enfields rebarreled in 45/70. they use navy arms barrels and it has a 5 rd removable mag. $385 list.
:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a ltd II marlin 45/70 with a 24 inch oct. barrel.I don't find it heavy or un ballanced but yet again I used to carry a m-60 :lol:
as they say if ya can't handle the recoil or the weight stay home and knit.
pete

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
txpete,
i was just making a point of intrest on the balance point changing as ammo is added or removed. ;)

i love the stainless GG. but i am older now and the weight takes it's toll on my arthritic shoulders. my gibbs is 8 3/4 pounds empty. scope and mount only weight 12 oz. and OA length is 42"

i love torque and recoil, bring it on! i just can't hold heavy rifles very long. :cannon:

·
Registered
111 Posts
pretty beat up myself (100% va.disabled vet)I still take the marlin out for hunting.there is just something about being out with a lever rifles in the woods.oh yea gotta say the iron sight are getting fuzzy too. :lol:
pete

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I broke down today and went to BiMart and plooped some overtime dough on a new 1895G in 45/70. It will be used in the coast range this fall for elk. I am thinking of maybe adding a low power scope ( 2 or 3 pwr maybe) for low light conditions but more than likely it will be open sights this year.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
gossman,
i just finished reading the article in "american rifleman" on the new ss gg from marlin. 18" barrel & 7.5 pnds. i just have to have one. i will probably get rid of all the others. the article says they want $750 smr. will i really have to part with that much cash?

i have a spare 1x4x20 leoupold VX II that only weighs 9oz. i know right where it's going too. you might check out "midway" they have had big sales on their leoupold stock. i have seen this one on sale for about $50 less than cabela's reg price.

good shooting/hunting, give us a report on it asap.
steve

p.s. if you need a scope and can't fund it right now for this season, you can borrow my spare. just pay shipping and insurance. i am all set for hunting this year so you are more than welcome to use it.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts