Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad recently gave me a marlin model 39 that he found in his house when he moved in. It is in great shape except for the butt plate being cracked. I have shot some 22 long (720 FPS) and some 22LR subsonic (1040 FPS) that a local gun shop told me would be OK for this old rifle. My question is what is good to shoot out of this. I know I can't shoot high power 22LR but what is high power exactly? This is a nice old rifle and I don't want to damage it but still want to enjoy it, it's a blast.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If I remember right, the Marlin 39s were made of steel receivers yeah?

They should be able to handle regular ~1200 fps bulk rounds, especially when they are commanding such high priceds nowadays.

By high powered they mean the high velocity 22LRs like Stingers, Yellow Jackets, etc that run about ~1600 fps

·
Registered
663 Posts
I bet it is. Everyone that has one loves them. You should be fine with the bulk ammo that runs around 1250 fps. I wouldn't go above that in the high velocity 22 ammo, accuracy for many people drops of when shooting them for whatever reason. Maybe the twist in the rifle isn't right for that speed, i cant say.

If my henry with a zinc allow reciever can shoot bulk ammo just fine, then I wouldn't have any hesitation shooting it in your steel receiver Marlin.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The hi-vel rounds/brass are just a tad longer than a "normal" round. This causes accuracy problems in some rifles. There are some rifles that, apparently, have a little longer chamber and they handle the hi-vel rounds quite well.
I would reccommend CCI Mini Mags standard velocity. They give me great accuracy out of tricked out 10-22s and a couple of lever 22s.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ah thanks for explaining that one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts