Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons Marlin 336 30-30 started having some problems this weekend - the action is easy for a couple of cycles, and then its really hard. The action is so hard to work, that it feels like something is going to break.

We were shooting factory loaded Remington 150 grain core-lokt. The first 2 cycled fine, during the ejection of the third round is when the problem first showed up.

The Marlin 336 is a little over 3 years old, and this is the first time we have had any problems with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is this consistant with the 3rd shot or did it happen once? Have you tried it anymore since it happened?

Check to see if the loading gate screw is loose. If so the loading gate will bind up against the lifter as you work the action.

John

·
Tangled up in "Blues".
37 Posts
Check all the action screws, including the carrier screw, trigger guard plate screw and such. These come loose of their own accord and a few touches of blue loctite is not a bad idea.

Check out the Marauder13 website on tuning Marlins and several Marlin Fixes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the ejector, it may have broken, it's the little Thingy that rides in the bolt to knock out the shell during cycling. To check it open the action half way, remove lever screw, pull down on lever to remove lever, hold down on hammer and pull bolt out of receiver, the ejector is the little spring/metal piece on the inside of the receive. It should be one piece, sometimes the spring separates from the arm. Just do the reverse to put it back together.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Check the ejector spring as suggested earlier. It may be that the gun just needs a good cleaning, dirt or lead particles will cause that condition.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Check the ejector spring as suggested earlier. It may be that the gun just needs a good cleaning, dirt or lead particles will cause that condition.
I read that in addition to cleaning the action and internal parts , is that it is important to clean the mag tube , spring and " plunger " ( on the action end of the mag spring ) . Try a cleaning rod and appropiate brush , followed by patches . Then light oil .

For colt temperatures I lube with gun oil or ATF / tranny fluid . Warmer climates , engine oil . I put grease on the very high pressure / friction areas , especially in HOT weather .

Do not forget your favorite treatment on the wood .

To me , the Marlin is much easier to field strip , than a Winny .

God bless
Wyr

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I figured out what the problem was, a screw came loose and the bolt was rubbing against something inside the receiver.

The screw was not loose by much, just a couple of turns.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I figured out what the problem was, a screw came loose and the bolt was rubbing against something inside the receiver.

I suffered your exact same issue with my Marlin 30-30 last week. Turned out to be the filler screws that plug scope mounting holes in the top of the receiver. For whatever reason, the screw had vibrated in deeper by a turn and was rubbing on the bolt causing a binding condition. An easy repair.........after I found the problem.

·
Tangled up in "Blues".
37 Posts

That's one of the Marlin's few bad points. A little Loctite blue and you're golden. (very little)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts