Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marlin 336 in 30-30. I bought it used. It wasn't shot much that I can tell. It shoots horrible. I used 170gr federal ammo. Shot 4" groups at best. I know how to shoot; so, it's not me. I did notice that the primer is backing out of the case which indicates headspace problem. Did anyone come across this problem and how did you fix it. I reload so I can probably fix it by not full resizing the case.

·
Banned
2,862 Posts
Ken-
Backed out primers can also be caused by light loads.............. :sniper:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
30-30 (esp factory loadings) is a low pressure cartridge. The internal pressure isn't enough to stretch the case head back to the bolt face (the "why" behind your seeing primer protrusion.
How far out are the primers? IIRC the spread from GO to NO-GO is .006 and brass will run from .001 to .007 below the GO dimention, so if the protrusion is between .001 and .013 you could very well be in spec all the way around.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, when I reload, should I not resize the cartridge all the way, or will a "hot" load take care of the problem. I can't see it being the rifle since it is basically new.
Thanks for the answers.
Ken

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you can adjust your sizing die to almost, but not quite touch the shoulder (so a sized case closes with just a little resistance) you would be about there (headspacing off the shoulder instead of the rim). Don't go to far however, as the lever actions don't have a lot of camming force to seat a slightly oversize round.

Bottom line is that it's a fairly normal phenomon with this cartridge (no, I won't recogmend a "over book hot load")

BTW, Alliant has some interesting load data for the 30-30, using Rl-15 powder.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Both of my Marlin 336 rifles are more accurate with 170 grain bullets. My hunting load is a Speer 170 Grain FP over 35 grains of IMR4320. I get consistant 1.25 inch groups, or less with this load. My 336Y, with the 16 inch barrel is the most accurate of my three 30-30 chambered rifles. Second is the old Savage Model 170 pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.