Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new to me, very slightly used (if it was fired you can barely tell) Marlin 1895 SBL in the mail yesterday.
It has to be one of the best looking guns I have ever seen. I have read about finish problems on the new Marlins all over the net but thankfully I don't see any of them on this rifle.
I got it for $1000 delivered to my door and it included a Redfield 2-7x33 Accurange scope mounted with quick disconnect Leupold rings, a neoprene catridge holder stock sleeve and a Remington rifle bag.
Around these parts that is pretty good deal.
All that's left to do is go to the range on Saturday to see if it shoots as good as it looks.
Did I mention how happy I am to have gotten this rifle? Ecstatic!

As soon as I get a picture of I'll upload it (probably with the range report).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked at the specs of this firearm and can't help think it would be a durn good deer/bear/elk gun in heavy timber. Throw the scope away and use a peep sight imho. I've been carrying a Marlin Cowboy in .45-70 with a Providence side lever peep sight this deer season and really like the light weight and balance. My grandson is carrying the same rifle but in .38-55 and I can tell his is a little heavier - due to the smaller bore, otherwise, the exact same gun. Looking forward to your range report!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My preference would be the scope. At 2 power and both eyes open, it would provide a little magnification and a great big field of view.

I do compete with a tang peep on a Marlin lever in 38-55 and it does great.

I also have a M100 Winchester in 308. WV brush gun. Sports a 2 x 7 x 33 Leupold with a flip over mount. Sometimes those iron sight work good in fog and rain and up close.

That SBL would work in WV also. Great gun. Congrats!

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
374 Posts
A message to myself... "next firearm is going to be stainless". I've looked on Marlin's web-site since I heard rumor and promise of the SBR. Congrats, you got one before ...I got mine. I have loaded 45-70 since 1993. (T/C Contender)....... at my current age, a repeater carbine is a better choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts