Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 35 years military service, (about half reserve) and having "experienced" a plethora of small arms, I have become attracted to western style weapons. I was fortunate to find the above mentioned rifle NIB...and a pre remlin besides. Most loads are pretty anemic and short range. Any suggestions on a proven load which would make this rifle a legitimate 200 yard gun? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If your looking for more powerful then factory loads you are going to have to handload for it. There are some Ruger only loads that put the .45 colt right up there with the .44 magnum.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a Rossi M92 in .45 Colt and it doesn't do well with higher powered loads as far as accuracy. Currently I load with 200 gr LRNFP's and 9.0 gr of Unique and it's very accurate to 100 yds. After that it drops off significantly, but still accurate. Your Marlin may have better luck with different loads.

When I tried up to 12 gr with the same bullet they were all over the place at 75. I haven't had much experience with this round and was never planning on using it as a SHTF rifle at long ranges.

That said, it's the most fun rifle I own and I take it out shooting every week.:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a Rossi M92 in .45 Colt and it doesn't do well with higher powered loads as far as accuracy. Currently I load with 200 gr LRNFP's and 9.0 gr of Unique and it's very accurate to 100 yds. After that it drops off significantly, but still accurate. Your Marlin may have better luck with different loads.

When I tried up to 12 gr with the same bullet they were all over the place at 75. I haven't had much experience with this round and was never planning on using it as a SHTF rifle at long ranges.

That said, it's the most fun rifle I own and I take it out shooting every week.:)
I have the same rifle . I try to load the biggest bullet I can . I shoot only home cast bullets .

As long as the loaded ammo feeds and chambers .

I recommend both the 200 & 250 grain Lee RNFP , from their 6 cavity mold .

I do not try to make a magnum out of the .45 LC . For that , I load & shoot my .44 Mag Marlin & S& W .

Pretty sure the M 92 Rossie is stronger than the Marlin . If you have to hot rod the .45 LC , do it in a Model 1892 clone . Like the Rossi .

For 200 + yards , get a 5.56 mm or a 7.62 NATO . You are surely familiar with both .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeah W.T., those words are my sentiments exactly, except for the home casting. Haven't gotten into that yet but you never know.;)

While I probably wouldn't rely on something like a "cowboy" rifle for longer ranges or SHTF use, any rifle is good if it's the only one you have. There are lots of other tools in the safe for those serious uses but I get some real fun and just plain enjoyment out of this .45 LC popper!:)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Try some 300+ grain flat points over a stiff load of H110. Some folks disagree, but the .45 Colt is at least as good as the .44 Mag, and mostly better, if you're willing to handload. John Taffin wrote extensively on heavyweights in sixguns, most of which holds doubly true for rifles.
Here's one of his articles on the .45 Colt with some recipes:
Taffin Test the .45 Colt

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's one of my favorite cartridges. I concur with the others. As a handloading proposition, it can do most anything you need it to. I wouldn't give into generalizations about any particular loads, without trying it yourself. You should be able to get it to perform well enough with a variety of loads; much of it depends on bullet sizing and velocity for the particular weight of bullet.

You do need to consider the rate of twist will often put you into a window of performance with a given bullet weight at a given velocity. I think this has more to do with the speed of the bullet spin, rather than just bullet weight in itself. Sometimes speeding up or slowing down will widen the accuracy window a bit. In other words, you can increase the rate of spin by using a tighter rifling twist, or you can push the bullet faster which also increases rpms.

In cast bullets, mine like big and slow loads over light and fast as a general rule. I shoot a lot of 250gr LRNFP with trail boss powder. Hard cast bullets need to be .001-.002 over bore diameter to work well for me.

I can get by with a jacked bullet that is a little smaller in diameter as long as I push it hard enough. I'm guessing it has to do with obturation. Lighter bullets (usually jacketed) also seem to need to spin faster to be accurate.

This all probably has something to do with balistic coefficient. Some fellas have it down to a science, I just load about 5 cartridges at a time with increasing amounts of powder (within specs), until I find one recipe shoots better than the others.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Making a 45 Colt or 44 Mag a legitimate 200 yard gun I think is an unrealistic expectation. Beyond about 125 yards with either your looking at quiet the rainbow trajectory. Yeah you can probably hit well beyond that with either but its going to take some pretty accurate range estimation and a lot of knowledge about where your bullet will be at a given distance in relation to your aiming point. If you need to reach out beyond 125 yards I think you would be best served looking at a no kidding rifle cartridge like the 30-30, 7.62x39 or the like to make that 200 yard shot effectively and consistently.

Dont get me wrong tho, Im retired Navy like you and the older I get the more I find I like the nostalgia and simplicity of the "Cowboy Guns" myself. I also like the practicality of them as well as the effceincy of the cartridges they fire. They were effective then and they can be pretty effective now, there are just some range limitations to them that you have to work with in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Making a 45 Colt or 44 Mag a legitimate 200 yard gun I think is an unrealistic expectation. Beyond about 125 yards with either your looking at quiet the rainbow trajectory. Yeah you can probably hit well beyond that with either but its going to take some pretty accurate range estimation and a lot of knowledge about where your bullet will be at a given distance in relation to your aiming point. If you need to reach out beyond 125 yards I think you would be best served looking at a no kidding rifle cartridge like the 30-30, 7.62x39 or the like to make that 200 yard shot effectively and consistently.

Dont get me wrong tho, Im retired Navy like you and the older I get the more I find I like the nostalgia and simplicity of the "Cowboy Guns" myself. I also like the practicality of them as well as the effceincy of the cartridges they fire. They were effective then and they can be pretty effective now, there are just some range limitations to them that you have to work with in.
.44 Mag is much easier / flatter trajectory . Keep in mind I do not hot rod the .45 LC . For me , each has a different niche .

\ This is even more true with the wheel guns , than the lever guns .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
45 lc shtf

Thank you all for the valuable information! I will be reloading and have decided upon the Hornady 250XTP, starline cases, IMR 4227 powder, and Winchester large pistol primers. I plan to load 5 each (pistol and rifle) starting at 20 grns and increasing 0.5 grns to 24 grns. Will chrono each load and post the groupings; 15yds. pistol, and 75 yds. rifle. May take a few weeks but I hope my results will help some others... please be patient, an old Navy FMF corpsman may get totally confused by the time it's done...no comments needed from you ex marines!

·
Registered
231 Posts
For 45 Colt loads exceeding 1000 fps, it is better to use jacketed bullets. Accuracy will be good and no leading. Or gas check the lead cast.

In a Marlin or like rifle able to withstand 44 Mag and 45 Colt heavy loads, they will be nip and tuck with all things being equal. The 44 Mag may have a small edge , but not much.

Why, the last time I shot a deer broadside at 100 yards with my 45 Colt, they took pictures where his feet were moved sideways about 4 inches.

Let me se if I can find..............

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I too have a Rossi M92 in 45 LC. I have loaded many a rounds using my trusty co-ax press. The best powder I have used for the 45 LC is AA5744. Mine is a 20 inch barrel and you may have different results. I can hit lead 200 Grains at 200 yards and copper. An MOA gun it is not. I am talking metal target of 24 by 24. I have tried Unique, H110, Trail Boss, AA No5, and Bulls Eye. For bullets SWC, RNFP (lead) and Hornady XTP JHP. H110 expands the base of the case the most.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.