Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there fellas, I am currently in the market for a 10/22 and have so many questions so instead of making many threads I will ask many questions in this one and we'll see how we do.

1- 10/22 with tapco stock ($260) versus SR22 ($500)- obviously the SR22 is better but is it over 200dls better than the 10/22?? I am leaning to the tapco so I can have extra money for optics...

2-What is the range of a stock 10/22, 50yrs?
3-What type of optics are recommended for the 10/22, scopes, red dot, etc? -
4-What have you found is the best brand .22 ammo?
5-Do most of you guys go to ranges to shot or to state parks? at least in Michigan state parks have shooting sections for .22s and shotguns.
Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a standard blue barrel, 25 yr old 10/22.

Range - really good up to 100 yards. A steady hand should be able to hold shots in 1" off a rest. 150 yards things are so-so. 200 yards and you start doing artillery shots so wind, ammo type and other elements come into play big time.

Optics - It depends on what you want to do with it. I use a nikon 3X9 and have really good luck. I used a red-dot for the first time last week and had a lot of fun in close. Personal preference dictates what you use. I like a scope but have a see through base so I can go back to iron sights if the scope breaks.

Ammo - I use federal bulk pack and haven't found anything that shoots better in my particular rifle (even match grade). Each rifle has it's own character and might react different with ammo types. Try them all and find one that works. The 10/22 isn't finicky so you won't be stuck having to buy high end, and expensive, ammo to be hitting the target with good success.

Which model??? - What are you looking for? You show the two models you are interested in, both tactical style. So I'm guessing you might want to add on extras in the future as most people do with a "black gun". If I was looking for a fun gun with built in features I would go for the SR22 and be patient when it comes to getting the optics.

I have added the folding stock to my 10/22 and tried to build it up a bit to be a "tactical" style unit, but it just isn't quite there since it's core design was a light weight plinker.

I have looked at the SR22 and liked the solid feel and was wishing I could have the heavier barrel on my rifle. The hand guard and ability to add rails is something you can't put on a thin barrel 10/22 without bumping the cost in the future.

Many people have put down the SR22, but I like it and would like to get one eventually. Is it practical for anything??? Yes, I'll bet it shoots just as well as a basic 10/22 but with all the extras built in for a little extra cost. You can make it look cool, still let the youngsters learn with it and go out hunting small critters. It was built to be FUN, not a killing machine.

If you want a tactical unit get the SR22, A recoil buffer, Volquartsen hammer and save the pennies for a good optic. That is the only draw back with the SR22, no iron sights (not any on the one I looked at).

You could get the standard barrel for less, but if you are looking to trick it out later get the model best suited for the job the first time around.

Hope this helps.

AK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AK,
thanks for the info, you are absolutly right, I am into the tactical scene, I like how you can make the weapon your own. The bigger point is that I eventually want to move in into an AR15 so the ergo in these two choices kinda gets me familiar with the AR. As far as the ammo I got one right, I just bought a few boxes of .22 Federal bulk last weekend in cabelas, I had a coupon so they were dirt cheap and I am so glad they are amongs the best out there..
As far as optics, I went to a gun show last weekend and saw the NcStar brand, so when I got home I started researching that brand and appearantly is a awesome bang for the buck, most of those optics are under a $100bucks so I want to try those.
One of the big disadvantages about having a rifle such as the SR22 is that when you get into it you start dropping all this cash into it and all of a sudden your 500dl rifle now has another 600dls invested in it. I have a Remington 870, bought it stock then bought the tactical stock and a short barrel, extended clip etc.. so now its double the cost of what I initially tought it would cost me.
So I am still not completely sold on the SR22 as of yet since I cannot just have it stock you know.. so the investment goes up right away..
What I am thinking is to get the 10/22 Tapco get optics use it for several months and if I feel I need more then move into the SR22, I can easily sell the 10/22 to my buddies here. what you think?
thanks again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have less than $400 in my mildly modified factory 10/22 carbine & Tapco T6, and here's a recent, just for fun, rapidfire 10rd [email protected], using a Holosight and bipod:

As a package, the SR22 seems like a good deal for $400ish with the buttstock/grip/handguard, but it still needs an auto bolt release, never heard of a 10/22 that hasn't needed trigger improvement, and factory mags are sufficient, but Tactical Innovations 25rd mags are recommended!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is very nice shooting. So I dont understand if you are saying go with the SR22 or not. Tell me about the trigger job, how much more is that and can I do it myself?

·
Registered
486 Posts
The trigger kit i put in mine was from cabella's its $64.00. I think its well worth the money. its easy to do. my opinion would be to buy a standard 10/22 and put an ATI stock http://www.atigunstocks.com/index.aspx or a tapco stock and get a trigger kit from cabellas and buy a couple of butler creek steel lips and have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I understand it the stock 10/22 and the tapco version from ruger cost the same, so I was thinking of going straight to the tapco and modify from there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is very nice shooting. So I dont understand if you are saying go with the SR22 or not. Tell me about the trigger job, how much more is that and can I do it myself?
Reg',
Welcome to the forum, and Thanks for the compliment.
On top of $450 SR22 cost, figure in & estimate the extra costs of necessary improvements, besides optional accessories, that will make it complete & dependable for you to use!
I'm not telling you not to buy an SR22, just that it will end up costing you more than you expect, before you realize it!

For the money, you can get a lot more with the Tapco and a standard 10/22, and still have money left over to put towards other accessories!
Don't ask me how I know...:blink:

Most factory triggers are stiff/heavy pull, and is preferred to improve them with polishing internal parts or replacing parts, or even complete trigger assemblies.

You can do it yourself, depending which level you prefer:
- Free/low cost (Do It Yourself, disassemble factory trigger, polish/modify/replace parts as necessary)
- Affordable (buy aftermarket kits that include improved hammer/sear/spring/etc., as Power Custom/$45 or Volquartsen!)
- Expensive (complete trigger assembly replacement, includes auto bolt release/extended mag release/2lb or less smooth pull, as Volquartsen TG2000/$200, or KIDD/$300, adjustable)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats exactly what I am afraid of. I rather have the $250dls 10/22 go double investment than to double on the SR22. I think I know what I'm going for. thanks for the tips.. looking forward to comparing notes later on.

·
Registered
32 Posts

1- 10/22 with tapco stock ($260) versus SR22 ($500)- I am leaning to the tapco so I can have extra money for optics...
I have several 10/22's and bought a Tapco Fusion T-6 stock for my 10y.o. son. I ended up loving it!! :) I want another for one of my stock 10/22's. I have a BC Folding stock on one and it's a great stock as well. Locks up tight!

2-What is the range of a stock 10/22, 50yrs?
I regularly shoot my 10/22's out to 100 yards. It mostly depends upon the shooter and the final setup of the rifle. When everything is together you'd be amazed at the capabilities.

3-What type of optics are recommended for the 10/22, scopes, red dot, etc? -
I highly recommed Burris Compact series or BSA Sweet 22 series optics for .22's. The old adage get the best you can afford always holds true for optics. The BSA Sweet series has been a pleasant surprise for me. I wasn't sure about them until I got one and will recommed them to anyone shooting rimfires.

4-What have you found is the best brand .22 ammo?
This depends upon the rifle and the use. Every rimfire rifle has its own likes and dislikes for ammunition. Try several brands, types, and weights in your 10/22 and see what it favors. I use a lot of Federal Bulk Pack 36gr JHP, but that is due to cost and I do a lot of "plinking" and gopher shooting. For serious hunting and survival needs, find a good reliable ammo for your rifle.

5-Do most of you guys go to ranges to shot or to state parks?
We have a free county club range I shoot at for serious work, otherwise I'm off to open land to hunt, plink, etc. I don't think state parks here allow firearms! :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to see both rifles today and for sure I will go with the 10/22 with the Tapco. It will be a great xmas present for me.. I cannot wait to start my 10/22 addiction..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im in your same shoes, thus my endless net and forum searching. Im lucky enough to have a couple of buddies who are rim fire nuts. One has the tapco and one has the archangel. I like the archangel much better. the sr-22 looks and feels sweet although Ive never fired it. It is in my top 3 for my next rifle, but the price seems a little steep for a 10/22 with fancy stock. considerd upper receiver for AR, but seems too dirty for an expensive gun. If you figure anything out or have any thoughts let me know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok here is my plan, I can get the stainless 10/22 with the normal black stock for around $199 by using a coupon(cabelas) and another discount that I have. Then since they sell the tapco stock separate for $99 minus a coupon and a discount I can get it for $70 so the total would be around $270 for both stocks vs $250 just with the tapco stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts