Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dug out my MAK90 that I bought years back and here's what I want to do;
Make this thing more accurate.How do I do this? Any known tricks?
Anyone have some good recipes for reloads?
I worked on the trigger several years back and droppeded the trigger pull down.
I know this will never compete with my AR15s but there has to be room for improvement. The last time out it was shooting pie plate patterns at 100 yards.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't think I would bother reloading for the MAK-90. The component expense and the time taken wouldn't help enough to justify. These guns were made for steel case ammo. What I did was try several different ammo types. Golden Tiger, Wolf, Silver Bear - hollow point, soft points, ball......find the type your rifle shoots best and stay with it.

My MAK loves the Silver Bear hollow points....will hold 4MOA @ 100, which is about as good as you will get. You can get surplus bulk ammo cheaper than you can reload right now.

Get a pin on brake, there are many available and they do help manage muzzle rise and recoil. Also, replace the butthole stock with one that is NATO length. This will give proper length of pull and provide a more repeatable cheek weld.

Get a better sight. I switched to the Tech sights sytem. US military ghost ring and longer sight radius. You don't permanently change the rifle when you install these. You can always put your old parts back on.

Change the front sight post to a red insert. These are available from Brownells for 5 bucks. Better aquisition on the irons.

I also have the Scoutscopes optic mount that fits into the rear sight aperature. You can mount a red dot or long eye relief 1X4 scout scope if you want.

Here is my MAK in several different configrations as described above:

With an ultimak rail system and grip pod:

With Ironwood designs stock and red dot optic:

With Techsights ghost ring rear sight:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The furniture was replaced before I bought it so I don't have to replace that. The irons on these things suck at best. The sight plain is way to short. I'll check out the Tech Sights.
As far as reloading goes, I do it sometimes just to pass time but if I can't do better than 4-5" MOA maybe I should stick with steel case.
I have plenty of Wolf ammo and my SKS does ok with it. Definitly out shoots the AK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts