Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini-14/Mini-30 - Fixed Magazine Kit Device sold at lower price without currently unavailable trigger latch tool.

It was necessary to remove my aftermarket Coughlan Arsenal Ambi Mag Release and OEM mag latch spring. Probably possible to mod the Cogburn Arsenal item, but easier/quicker to replace it with OEM mag release lever. YMMV.

Maglatch Item installed with a slight adjustment of it (bending just a tinch) on my 186 Mini. Works as advertised. Cannot, even with both thumbs, budge the mag release. Easy to remove the device, but you'll also need to replace the mag latch spring, if removed. Might revisit and see if spring can be left installed.

Take careful notes about orientation of the mag release spring for future reference! Write it down!. It's a fuss to get it installed just-so, at least for one not used to removing/installing the mag release/spring.

The Maglatch item is installed for experimental/testing purposes, since likely State laws might mandate it, along with a fixed 10-rd mag in very near future. Also required--and a good idea in any event, IMHO-- is a Stripper Clip guide from Cogburn Arsenal: Stripper Clip Guides – Cogburn Arsenal

Loading ammo on 10-rd GI stripper clips will also be needed, as well as appropriate carriage gear. Most 5.56 mag pouches are not well-suited for carriage of stripper clips.

In essence, the final set-up, if it works properly, will mimic a 5.56 SKS, and NOT require Registering with the State, as Proposed State Laws will Require.

So far, I have some recently-made NIB Pro-Mag 10-rd mags, all carefully dis-assembled and "massaged" a little. I have yet to top-load the 10-rd ProMag units via stripper clip, preferring to do so on the range, for safety's sake, since with MagLatch installed, the bolt must be cycled to empty the magazine. Magazine Bolt hold-open works OK, and the bolt cycles over the empty mag without any obvious problems. FWIW, I have top-loaded many other (Plastic and Metal) mags via the old Aluminum stripper clip guide, since replaced by the Cogburn item. So a dual-test, but I have confidence in the Cogburn item. Time will tell.

Where YOUR help is requested is in finding 100% reliable 10-rd mags, in case the Promags are somehow deficient, and very recent experiences with NIB mags are most valuable. I don't need but a few, so cost is not not an overriding object; quality IS. I do have some Ruger followers, from Midway (bought last year), but the ProMag followers look identical in all respects.

I understand that some will criticize me for taking this approach, and so be it. Just posting for general knowledge, and also asking for your help.

Disclaimer: No financial interest in any Mfr/Vendor mentioned above.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
cogburn is good got my 30 bayonet catch from. fit/function perfect.
NC ain't restricted mags - yet. I like 10 round better anyways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maglatch made great compliance products. I used their products for my AR and Mini. The mini device is exactly the same as the M1A/M14 Maglatch. I bought M1A device and used in my Mini-14 before they finally test and validate the device for Mini-14.

The company is a small business and take a couple of months to fulfill my orders. Be patient if you have a need to order from the company. I applaud company like that have sharp engineers make devices for otherwise state-restricted guns available to us that need/want one.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My order for Mini-14/-30 item, and susequent orders for other items, for various different firearms, were shipped within a few days of order receipt. No lengthy delay here.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... Ill bite.. Who needs this and why?

Nevermind.. Its just in case I wanna toss a pistol grip on my Mini
The object is, as stated above, to continue to be able to use my Mini-14 without being required to register it as proposed (and likely) State Laws (modeled after existing State laws elsewhere) will require.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I don't currently use any of Cogburn's items, but am glad he has entered the Mini market and will work with us. He deserves our support. If only he would design and build a to-scale flash-hider/front sight/bayo lug for the Mini that mimics the M-14's scale.

Little steps...

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't currently use any of Cogburn's items, but am glad he has entered the Mini market and will work with us. He deserves our support. If only he would design and build a to-scale flash-hider/front sight/bayo lug for the Mini that mimics the M-14's scale.

Little steps...
The problem with what you suggest, an FS assy made to scale, is that scaling it down to Mini proportions would make it too short, and the bayonet would be too long to fit the scaled-down unit.

"Downscaling" the M-14 unit would require the bayo lug to be moved rearwards from present position. Doing so might be possible, but also might interfere with mounting a full-length barrel strut. If that occurred, I'd prefer the barrel strut, especially on a pencil-barrel Mini. Others might difffer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
M6 Bayonet seating (on M14) is different than M7 Bayonet seating (on M16/Mini). For M7, lug to flash hider distance need to be entire length of the bayonet grip. For M6, you only need 2/3 of the grip length. If one can design M14 style lug/sight/FS unit to accept M6 for Mini ranch rifle. It would not look disproportionally long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fixed mags for featureless guns like the Mini aren‘t even being proposed in CA where I live so you might be “jumping the gun” a bit. I’m actually surprised this state hasn’t gone there but for now the Ruger is off the grid, which is why I own a couple and don’t bother with ARs. Right now Newsome is scared of the recall so he’s pulled his horns in a bit. But we might be buying your mag latch in a year or two haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mini-14 with A-TM folder and M1A CQB are attractive to some buyers. Maglatch + top load with stripper clips happen to be the excellent option for CA gun owners want to have the choice beyond featureless.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here in "Worker's Paradise" of RI, even some features are are considered inherently evil. What is not currently banned soon will be.

I have some future plans/devices that will defeat the most likely future State bans that can be foreseen.

Such will NOT require my personal firearms to be "Registered" with my State.

ALL my firearms will be easily re-configured. to original status.

I detest going through all this, and the expense of doing so.

Still, I'l be shooting my M-14, FAL, and Mini-14/30 on public ranges, and legally so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts