Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe i will get lucky and someone can tell me what im doing wrong with my mini, i have a new 582 ss ranch gun unfired, five round mags seem to fit the gun with no issue, but when i try to install factory ruger 10 round mags the first or top bullet gets a kink in it, im only putting in 7 rounds into the magazine so im not sure whats up. Can it be i cannot install the loaded mag into the gun with the slide closed,im just not sure, Also for what its worth on the factory 10 round mag the rear locking tab seems like the bottom of the tab were it locks in is cut on a angle,can this be pushing the mag up to far into the chamber,
Any help i can get would be great,,

· Registered
101 Posts
According to the manual, magazines may be inserted with the bolt in open or closed position. However, it's certainly easier to insert them with the bolt locked open. I always just lock the bolt open to load magazines. Since the bolt should automatically lock open when you fire the last round in a magazine, it's just become standard practice and I never have problems.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive been talking with ruger service, they said there should not be a problem denting the bullets going into the chamber, So they want me to send the gun in for service,Which im going to do, But so far there customer service has been fantastic dealing with me on the phone ,Now ill see how well they do on any repairs ,Which i wouldnt expect any different

· Registered
2,540 Posts
My 2008-vintage 580 series is the same way. It doesn't like being loaded with the bolt closed.

So I lock the bolt open before attempting to insert a loaded magazine...

As for putting a dent in the casing -- that's happening when the casing comes up against the closed bolt, not a dent from chambering the round. It won't hurt anything to fire one of those dented rounds, as it'll be "fire-formed" back into shape.

I'd honestly be surprised if Ruger CS says they find anything wrong with your rifle. That's just the way the Mini has always been, IME. ;)

· Registered
10,504 Posts
Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo? The over-all-length of the ammo could be a problem, I reload and try to not go over 2.260" for best results. What grain of bullet and make?

· Registered
344 Posts
I've found in both my 183 and 582, the casing will dent if I load the mag with an odd number of rounds. With an even number of rounds even with a full mag it won't dent. The bottom of the bolt has a sharp edge on the right side. As others have said shooting a round with a dent in it doesn't hurt anything

· Registered
10,504 Posts
Does the mags have sharp edges that keep the rounds from feeding smoothly? I sand all my mag edges to knock down burs.

How many rounds have been fired thru the rifle?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ammo that im using is pmc 62g x-tac, And just to say the gun has not been fired yet,What else happened was the slide seems to be going right over the bullet in the magazine,Which prevents the first round to be loaded,Yes its weird,I did check the rails for any kind of burr or rough spot theres none,The bullet fit in the magazine ok,
The kink or dent in the shell casing is from when i try to use 10 round magazines,with only 7 rounds installed,Im in ny ,The problems not with the 5 round magazines,All magazines used are factory ruger

· Registered
2,540 Posts
This procedure will solve almost all of your issues:

1. Clean your rifle. This includes removing the bolt and wiping it down. Be sure to lightly oil all surfaces.

2. Take it to the range and run approx. 200 rounds through it. Minis (and their magazines) need to be broken in -- it took mine some 300 rounds before it would run like a Swiss watch.

3. Clean your rifle after every range trip, even if you only fire 50 rounds.

· Registered
10,504 Posts
Another placed I polished was the chamber face area, any sharp edges there will cause problems for feeding.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i got my gun back from ruger monday morning, First thing i did was go outside on shoot the gun,Perfect is all i can say,The work order said they replaced the extractor,Im not sure what the extractor had to do with the problem of not loading the first round ,But it works, As for the denting of the bullets,It does seem like theres a slight dent but its not bothering the firing,So ill just install the magazine when the bolt is pulled back,Problem solved,
I must say that the service i got from ruger was fantastic, A 5 day turn around is great

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Well i got my gun back from ruger monday morning, First thing i did was go outside on shoot the gun,Perfect is all i can say,The work order said they replaced the extractor,Im not sure what the extractor had to do with the problem of not loading the first round ,But it works, As for the denting of the bullets,It does seem like theres a slight dent but its not bothering the firing,So ill just install the magazine when the bolt is pulled back,Problem solved,
I must say that the service i got from ruger was fantastic, A 5 day turn around is great
Since the extractor claw has to ride up over the rim when chambering, I suspect that it was somehow not able to move correctly to snap onto the rim.

Just a guess.

Doesn't really matter, since its fixed! :D
Enjoy your fine rifle and sorry to read about your having to suffer with King Cuomo's d****** 7 round limit! :angry:

Best,
Grumpy

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe me when i say ,Here in ny we dont call como king,More like a P.O.S and thats too good for this dirt bag,When i geter done ill be sure to post some pics,I got me a black walnut stock which im finishing in tru-oil,I have 4 coats on the stock now ,0000 steel wool between each coat,I did not use any filler,I like to see and feel the grain,Im also ordering a brownells latigo sling, Should look pretty good when its done,Dam it looks pretty good without adding all this stuff,One hell of a gun.It also seems that ammo is coming back for the .223 and .5.56, Bought some federal m193 55g for 10 bucks a box,Bought 15 boxes.

· Registered
378 Posts
I've found in both my 183 and 582, the casing will dent if I load the mag with an odd number of rounds. With an even number of rounds even with a full mag it won't dent. The bottom of the bolt has a sharp edge on the right side. As others have said shooting a round with a dent in it doesn't hurt anything
+1 This is the cause of the dent when loading on a closed bolt

· Registered
3,163 Posts
put an even number of rounds in the mag, 2,4,6,8, 20 ..24.., you may solve your problem, this always worked for me as well. I always attributed this to the feeder mechanism in the mags being staggered and an odd number sits lower and has a less than optimum position to be scraped off by the bolt cycling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.