Perfect Union banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is, folks. Its what you've all been waiting so patiently for. First I want to express my appreciation for the donation of these magazines that Kevin (Flak 2) made. He did it in the interests of making this forum better. What a fine job he has done!

And to keep up my end of the deal, I took digital photos as promised. I tried to keep things to a reasonable level of detail. Of some of the brands, Flak 2 gave me multiple finishes and thought it would be redundant to photograph ALL of them. If you want pictures of the other finishes (and IF I have them), I can take more pics. Also, if you want another angle of a particular part/ Internal part views/Spring/Follower details, let me know. I can take them apart if you have "inner-workings" concerns.

I have not field tested any of these magazines, except the ones that I already owned. After I have field tested them all, I'll give you my opinion on them, both in manually cycling rounds through them as well as live-firing them. I already have a couple pages of notes - both my own as well as Flak 2's. All will be published in due time...
Meanwhile, enjoy the pics!

Pictures are named according to the following conventions:
A, B, C, etc. denote brand (in no particular order):
A. Masen
B. Ruger
C. Scherer
D. Precision MAG Industries
E. USA
F. Ram-line

1, 2, 3, etc. denote common photos:
1. is the feed end of the magazine (where the bullets go in).
2. is the floor plate (the bottom).
3. is the side view (body view).
4. is the front view (where the latch hole is).
5. is the back view (where the mag catch 'tab' is).

Closeups are denoted with an X.
X-photos with the same number in them are photos of the same things on different brand mags.

The following photos show special identifying characteristics of note:
A-X1-Masen Closeup: One punch for retaining floorplate.
A-X2-Masen Closeup: Rounded corners on mag catch, and dimple outward on right side of mag back side (as viewed by shooter).
A-X3-Masen Closeup: Deep cuts in front of magazine lip by bullets, nicely rounded curves to save your fingers.
B-2-Ruger: Distinctive "Ruger" logo stamp on floorplate.
B-X2-Ruger Closeup: Dimple outward on Right side of mag (as viewed by shooter).
B-X4-Ruger Closeup: "RUGER" Stamp on mag body.
C-2-Scherer: "Mini-14" stamped on floor plate, two plate retaining dimples.
C-X1-Scherer Closeup: Dimple outward on LEFT side of mag back side (as viewed by shooter).
D-2-Precision: "Precision MAG Industries" logo stamp on floorplate.
D-X1-Precision Closeup: Two plate retaining dimples.
E-X1-USA Closeup: Single, clean plate retaining dimple.
E-X6-USA Closeup: Magazine retaining hole area stamped somehow with a square device, and often quite marred from inserting and removing magazine. I found that the retaining pin does not actually go into the hole, but rests against the part that is scuffed up.
F-X2-Ramline Closeup: Back side of magazine is open for 1.5" on the back.
F-X7-Ramline Closeup: Markings on magazine indicating number of rounds loaded.
F-X8-Ramline Full: Magazine loaded with Wolf Ammo.

Using the guide above, CLICK on the links below:

A-1-Masen
A-2-Masen
A-3-Masen
A-4-Masen
A-5-Masen
A-X1-Masen Closeup
A-X2-Masen Closeup
A-X3-Masen Closeup

B-1-Ruger
B-2-Ruger
B-3-Ruger
B-4-Ruger
B-5-Ruger
B-X2-Ruger Closeup
B-X4-Ruger Closeup

C-1-Scherer
C-2-Scherer
C-3-Scherer
C-4-Scherer
C-5-Scherer
C-X1-Scherer Closeup
C-X2-Scherer Closeup
C-X4-Scherer Closeup
C-X5-Scherer Closeup

D-1-Precision
D-2-Precision
D-3-Precision
D-4-Precision
D-5-Precision
D-X1-Precision Closeup
D-X2-Precision Closeup

E-1-USA
E-2-USA
E-3-USA
E-4-USA
E-5-USA
E-X1-USA Closeup
E-X6-USA Closeup

F-1-Ramline
F-2-Ramline
F-3-Ramline
F-4-Ramline
F-5-Ramline
F-X2-Ramline Closeup
F-X6-Ramline Closeup
F-X7-Ramline Closeup
F-X8-Ramline Full

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not to be left out...
Here are the photos that mlfox emailed to me. Some of them may provide more detail or a better angle on the product...

Masen 30
Mason 30 Front
Masen 30 Plate
Masen 30 Tab

Millett 20

Precision 30 Front
Precision 30 Front
Precision 30 Tab

Scherer 30
Scherer 30 Front
Scherer 30 Plate
Scherer 30 Tab

USA 30 SST
USA 30 SST Front
USA 30 SST Plate
USA 30 SST Tab

Note: Thanks donbing for this exception to help identify another version of the USA magazine.

donbing said:
The ones marked EXC13 are USA mfg. magazines. That was their SKU for their own version of the Mini 14 blue 30 rounders. I still have an Acusport catalog from the mid 90's that lists them. They'd be the ones that are cut and punched at the catch.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Thanks Bwraven for this note on "Mitchell" Magazine:
Recieved the Mitchell Mag today. It's new "old" stock, in sealed wrap. Opened it and compared it to my Bingham 40 mags. They are identical. Then I pulled out my PMI 40, and all three are identical! I wonder if they were all made by the same manufacturer, then packaged for individual sellers?

Since it is identical to the Bingham's (right down to the "waffle" marks!), but thought you might want to add a note to the Bingham photos, stating that the 40 round Mitchell Arms mag is identical.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.