Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

In an attempt to ascertain interest in a new offering, how many folks would be interested in the following.

Since we have the NY SAFE Act limiting magazine capacity, and Colorado and California looking at or doing the same, how many of you would be interested in a semi-permanent magazine modification to your existing 20 and 30+ round AR mags, Mini 14 and Mini30, and pistol mags, and other “high capacity” magazines to limit them to the number of rounds you’re legally allowed in your state?

I believe that I have designed a modification that will do just that, and if sanity ever returns to the restricted areas, or maybe you decide to move where you’re not restricted, the modification could be undone to allow your expensive magazines to hold their full capacity once again. This wouldn’t be like the bullet button where a simple tool would allow you to violate the law, but something that would positively limit the capacity. It wouldn’t change the look, fit, function, or anything else about the magazine other than its capacity. No extra weight, you could keep your standard base plates or Ranger type plates.

And would that be worth $10 to $15 to you plus flat rate shipping for as many as I could squeeze in a box? Let me know what you think before I jump into this with both feet.

Thanks!

Doc

· Premium Member
3,450 Posts
California looking at or doing the same
CA Legislative Info and Contact Tools

If your refering to laws in the works your product would be illegal from the start

. The bill would revise the definition of "large-capacity magazine" to mean any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, including a readily restorable, as defined, disassembled large-capacity magazine, and an oversize magazine body that appears to hold in excess of 10 rounds. The bill would make related, conforming changes. By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

and if you are talking about existing laws..
A bullet button doesnt violate anything. Under current definition it there is nothing wrong with it

would your product be similar to this
Magazine Blocks Home Page ?

Without a tac weld or rivet on your mag body it is still not 100% legal

read the red print at the bottom of this
http://www.calegalmags.com/Magpul-10-Round-Limiter-PMAG-20-3-Pack_p_379.html

· Banned
7,380 Posts
I would possibly be interested if it didn't involve drilling a hole, or some other unsightly modification that would destroy possible future monetary value of the mag. I'm not interested in holes, rivets or permanent mods like a block limiter with a welded floorplate.

· Registered
171 Posts
Hi Doc, a replacement magazine follower with a welded long foot would probably be legal in NYS only if the old follower was destroyed. If the ability to reverse the mod is to use the old follower, I may as well break the law and put up my "Come and Take It" flag.

Regards,
Richard

· Registered
118 Posts
I thought we had determined that the "barrel shroud" stipulation effectively banned all mini-14s. Or am I mixing up my proposed bans?

I like cavtrpr340's approach, but at the same time I don't want to have to hide all my toys, either.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew if I asked here someone would know exactly what the deal was, and now that I've been told I think I'm going to scrap the idea. I'm sure parts of CA and NY are beautiful places but I really don't want to become a resident for six to twelve months. I'm always the guy they make an example of.

· Premium Member
3,450 Posts
California is kinda like Jurassic Park.... Life will find a way.

Laws are made. We find ways to comply and have our way at the same time.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My heart goes out to everyone who doesn't get to enjoy the freedom I do here. In my quest to offer the best services, some ideas fail and others move forward. I really do appreciate your input. Living way out where I do it's not always easy to keep up with the latest laws and calls to those who should know the laws aren't always helpful. I need to spend more time on other forums like Calguns I suppose.

· Registered
10,504 Posts
Thanks GunDoc! I to feel sorry for the average Joe's that love sport shooting and plinking around. All they can do for now is keep the pressure on from the keyboard.

· ZORT member
994 Posts
Gundoc would you mind sharing your idea?

Since I live the Ca I have an idea about making a legal mag out of a higher capacity mag.
My idea is to take a piece of metal and bend it in a U shape. Cut to fit inside the mag body. Drill a smalk hole in the floor plate and the U piece of metal. Put a rivet in the drilled hole.

My theory on that is you have to disassemble the magazine to undo what you have done. Ca is not specific about what "permanent" is. Having to disassemble the magazine "should" suffice. Having the rivet n the bottom is making it so you can't just take it apart easily. I am not a lawyer or have not ran this by anyone else who knows more than I do.

Input from anyone?

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gundoc would you mind sharing your idea?
At this time I respectfully decline to share. I wouldn't want someone to do it and then get into trouble because of it. Just as i know how to make many guns select fire, I don't share that either for the same reason.

Your idea sounds good, and I hope it proves viable and legal. I'm appalled at our current political state and often wonder if we'll recognize the moment the line between citizen and subject is crossed, or if we already missed it.

· †3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
Friends,

In an attempt to ascertain interest in a new offering, how many folks would be interested in the following.

Since we have the NY SAFE Act limiting magazine capacity, and Colorado and California looking at or doing the same, how many of you would be interested in a semi-permanent magazine modification to your existing 20 and 30+ round AR mags, Mini 14 and Mini30, and pistol mags, and other "high capacity" magazines to limit them to the number of rounds you're legally allowed in your state?

I believe that I have designed a modification that will do just that, and if sanity ever returns to the restricted areas, or maybe you decide to move where you're not restricted, the modification could be undone to allow your expensive magazines to hold their full capacity once again. This wouldn't be like the bullet button where a simple tool would allow you to violate the law, but something that would positively limit the capacity. It wouldn't change the look, fit, function, or anything else about the magazine other than its capacity. No extra weight, you could keep your standard base plates or Ranger type plates.

And would that be worth $10 to $15 to you plus flat rate shipping for as many as I could squeeze in a box? Let me know what you think before I jump into this with both feet.

Thanks!

Doc
If you obey that law you are defeated as a gun owner. If you intend to make money off of firearm restrictions, you are part of the problem.

· Registered
401 Posts
I can kinda see the reasoning behind the question, but I am not going to be giving in to the progressive gun grab. I'll keep all my 20 and 30 round magazines just the way they are. :angry:

· Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for thinking about us Gundoc. I live in NY and from what I hear our current governor doesn't look back, so the chances of the new gun law won't change for a while. I will just hang on to my mags the way they are and maybe someday I will move to a free state and be able to use them again. Once Ruger mags are back on the shelves I will go to Pa. and get some 10 rounders to use up here. (I promise not to put more than 7 rounds in them :lol:)

· †3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
Hi Doc, a replacement magazine follower with a welded long foot would probably be legal in NYS only if the old follower was destroyed. If the ability to reverse the mod is to use the old follower, I may as well break the law and put up my "Come and Take It" flag.

Regards,
Richard
We all need to have this mentality.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
If you obey that law you are defeated as a gun owner. If you intend to make money off of firearm restrictions, you are part of the problem.
you are new here - so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

You just stepped on your dick on this one.

you want to be a part of this community? - you need to play by the rules.
you will be ignored, shunned, and excluded if you don't play by the rules

rule one - you DON'T cruise in and insult senior members, especially a senior member that is probably one of - if not THE best - Mini gunsmith in the country. that is a really good way to piss off the rest of the old heads here.
disrespect is not appreciated here - disagreement sure... a good debate is a fine thing... but disrespect we don't go for, your comment was pure disrespect. and if this is the way you comport yourself as a newbie in a community you'd best go elsewhere.

John "Gundoc" Baker of Great west gunsmithing has done a hell of allot more for this shooting community as a whole than you have, so you'd best mind your manners... maybe apologizing to Mr. Baker is a good way to start...

capice?

also - if you mouth off at me for giving you this bit of "friendly" advice - you get set on "ignore" and most of the other guys here will follow suit if they haven't already.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate that Snuffy.

My intention was to make the expensive mags folks already own legal by a basically break even modification. As a licensed FFL I have no choice but to play by the rules because they know who I am and can drop by whenever they want. As for the making money issue I haven't raised my prices in several years and am trying to keep them where they are for the foreseeable future so folks can get the work they need and still pay the bills. The increased cost of parts and shipping and other supplies have largely been a hit to my wallet as you guys, even the new members, are part of the family here, and family takes care of family.

Just to be clear - no harm, no foul. We're good.

Doc

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.