Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used 195 series mini-14 ranch and need some advice on high cap mags. What seems to work best in these later model guns. I'm told that later models will, over time, "booger-up" certain mags. Crimp and eventually split or some s**t like that.
Gundoggy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Gun Doggy, Well I am in the same boat as I also have a #195 series Mini. So far, I have used John Masen 10 rounders, Ruger 20 and 30 rounders (with great success) a few no name after market junks etc. I have had no problems with the high caps. I have had 2 broken firing pins lately, but that is a different matter (I hope). I have 2 Masen 20 rounders that I have not used yet. I will let you know about them. And PMI makes a quality high cap as well....

Larry :usa:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey gundoggy, I have a 196 SS mini. Have used PMI's, and some USA's, the only problem I've had is when I load them to full capacity. If I leave a couple of rounds out, I've had no problems. Have only ran 500 rds thru the mini so far. Its hit and miss with the cheaper ones, but you can tweek the lips using the ruger one as a guide if they give ya any lip. My PMI's are 3/8" taller than the USA's of the same capacity, and seem to load better with a full mag. More room for the spring, I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tady & cjungeo,
thanks for the reply. I'll givem a go!

just got it back from the smith--had the firing pin replaced--he said it was too short. wolf and winchester/usa shot like crap, but the 52 gr. ultramax hpfmj seemed to shoot (and eject!) OK.
got 2 in. groups @ 50 yards with a Hakko panorama sight--fairly pleased.

thanks, g.doggy

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Sorry gundoggy, one of my duties is to help keep the forum organized, so we moved the thread to" Mini-14-Magazine Talk."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.