Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 30 rd from a local army navy store.. the damn thing scrapes my bolt... is this a common ailment for aftermarket mini-14 mags?

What is the best quality mag for the mini-14 (at any price)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like the locking hole (for lack of a better term) is not installed in the correct position on your mag. Many aftermarket mags are junk. Ruger factory mags and PMI mags usually work well. gunpartscorp.com sells the 30rd PMIs. Do a search here and you will see much info on mags.

·
Registered
160 Posts
<<and PMI mags usually work well. gunpartscorp.com sells the 30rd PMIs. >>

Tom, I emailed gunpartscorp.com regarding their mini 14 mags and tell replied. I asked them who made their 10 and 30 round magazines for the mini-14, I included their stock numbers. Their reply stated they were made by a "variety" of manufacturers. He did not confirm PMI or Promag by name.

They did say they would try to find what I wanted, so yesterday I asked them about 30 round PMI and 10 round Ruger or Promag magazines. I've not heard back from them yet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally posted by tunedcivic
What is the best quality mag for the mini-14 (at any price)
[/b]
The best quality mags you can buy are Ruger brand. Hands down. I've seen original factory Ruger mags - 30 rounds and 20 rounds at gunbroker.com but their prices skyrocketed after 9/11. We're talking $200+ last time I looked.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Satan2655

The best quality mags you can buy are Ruger brand. Hands down.
I agree. I've only seen one or two of RUger's hi-caps, and they were very expensive. I sure wish Mec-Gar would make them, assuming they would be as good as their handgun magazines, which are excellent.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes Indeed,,,, Mag problems!!!!are happenning here in the "Peoples Republic of Kal" Ruger, only makes 5 round mags for their rifles, if you can believe that!!!! Thus, I have purchased a John Mason 10 rounder, that has so far worked fine. I have a line on a "new in box Ruger 20 round" that was rather $$$$. PMI seems to be the ticket. Their 20 30 & 40 round mags, go for $49.95. They sell stainless as well for $74.95. I have never used one of these however....

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just bought a factory Ruger 30 rounder, blued for $115 through gunbroker.com! No one bid against me. What a steal!

I was lucky to find this as I've also seen factory Ruger 20 rounders for going for $180+++

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by DKRichards
[B

They did say they would try to find what I wanted, so yesterday I asked them about 30 round PMI and 10 round Ruger or Promag magazines. I've not heard back from them yet.
[/b]
I've heard back from them. They said to ask for PMI when I placed my next order. They apparently are not willing to tell me if they have PMI magazines or not in stock, which I find very odd. I've heard good things about them before, but this attitude from customer service has me wondering......:(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Satan2655
I just bought a factory Ruger 30 rounder, blued for $115 through gunbroker.com! No one bid against me. What a steal!

I was lucky to find this as I've also seen factory Ruger 20 rounders for going for $180+++
I sure like the $40 PMI magazines I bought. No failures. Of course, I've only fired about 2 mag-fuls so far. Glad you like the Ruger magazines, but dang, I think I'd rather have 3 PMIs for the cost of 1 Ruger!! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep looking for the Rugers, they are out there. I just got 2 twentys and 3 thirtys. The twentys were 55.00 each and the thirtys were 70.00 each. But in the grand scheme of things not all that much more for something that is pretty much sure to work!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive since taken back that piece of **** mag and got my money back.. not for long though i ended up buying 1350 rounds of south african ammo :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts