Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a hold of some pre ban USA mags. After inspection they seemed ok but I tried running some rounds through them and they just dont work how they should. Has anyone used the the top of a ruger factory 5 or 10 round mag to replace the thin aftermarket ones? It appears to be just a matter of dissasembly and then measuring and cutting evenly and then just squaring up the new top nice and butt welding with the mag body. It seems like it would be more cost effective then hunting down fac hi cap mags. Please everyone let me know what you think.

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
If I was forced to try something like that id get two factory 5 rounders and have someone who is a very good machinist/welder make one 10 rounders and get springs from wolf to put in it. Either that have a 20 rounders shortened that might be easier. I know you can't order a 20 rounder. How much you looking to spend on a modified 20 rounder ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wasnt clear sorry, this might make more sense now lol

Ok so I didn't really proofread what i wrote earlier. They are 30rd hi cap mags and the followers and everything are smooth but the top of the magazine has a tendency to let the front of the bullets go "loose" so I was just thinking out loud if fitting the top approx 3-4" of a foctory 5 or 10 rd mag seemed cost efficient and plausible. Thanks for your time everyone.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:unsure:Sometimes that "modifacating" of stuff can get illegal!Better to ask a local gunsmith instead of joining the penal system of the blumberg state!;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the local smiths around here arent mod friendly and its hard to get an answer from leo's too. I just would like insight into if it can or can not be done. I'm not trying to break any laws but doesnt it just suck that its us honest citizens that worry about these sorts of things. If I were a criminal I could just somehow meander around the system and get new fac or leo stamped mags and just not give a hoot. But I respect the law and just trying to make some cheap mags reliable and for cheaper then a pre ban factory mag. Geesh those things are expensive. Thanks everyone.

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
Ok so I didn't really proofread what i wrote earlier. They are 30rd hi cap mags and the followers and everything are smooth but the top of the magazine has a tendency to let the front of the bullets go "loose" so I was just thinking out loud if fitting the top approx 3-4" of a foctory 5 or 10 rd mag seemed cost efficient and plausible. Thanks for your time everyone.
Oh I thought you were in California... Why don't you just order ruger mags ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Factory ruger hi cap pre ban mags are expensive. I'm trying to stay legal but make my mags actually functional. Technically I'm not building a magazine but just repairing it. And I'm not using illegal parts to do it. If the mag tops I'm using are from a 5 or 10 rounder and they are current legal items why can't I use them to replace the funky USA mags feed lips? 20$ for a mag and another for a new production ruger 5 rounder still puts me 20-40$ cheaper then buying a ruger pre ban hi cap? Any thoughts?
And yes ny gun laws are insane. This isn't nyc we should have our own laws up here in the sticks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up 3 pre-ban Ruger 20 rounders. My gun is new and I am not in a ban state. Once I get them and make sure they are good to go if you want to get new ones sent to me I will send you mine, even trade.

He had 14, wish I would've bought more now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bill sounds fair enough to me! I'm on my phone and cannot for the life of me figure out how to pm you. Thanks again its always great when a complete stranger offers to help you out. Not a lot of that left in this world.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Look around for a souse to buy mag parts it legal to buy parts to repair your legal pre-ban mags that you owned before the 2000 ban. I have heard of guys using the green AR 15 followers i have never tried it. You can try adjusting the mag feed lips.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry i thought you lived in Ca i don't know any thing about NY laws. Lets say you live in Ca and you go shooting in Nev. You can buy mags that hold more than ten rounds in Nev and use them there. But you must take them apart before bringing them back to Ca. and never assemble them in Ca.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In NY, you can only have 10 rounders. when the federal awb lapsed in 04, we decided we were safer with the ban, despite the lack of results it had everywhere else. And no one was ever killed by a gun in NY ever again. Thank god we have politicians to keep us from hurting ourselves. <_<

·
Registered
86 Posts
i happened to come across a couple of pre-ban Ruger 20's locally, but had to pay dearly for them. Oddly enough, they don't feel any more dangerous....

I would stay away from cutting and welding on a mag, everyone seems confused enough as to whats legal. A franken-mag might get you in trouble for no reason. but thats just me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In NY, you can only have 10 rounders. when the federal awb lapsed in 04, we decided we were safer with the ban, despite the lack of results it had everywhere else. And no one was ever killed by a gun in NY ever again. Thank god we have politicians to keep us from hurting ourselves. <_<
+1 Well said!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My pre-ban mags could be USA brand. I modified the back of the mags to seat higher and tighter. They work great now. If you're between Saratoga and Lake George, send a PM and maybe I could help.

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
Im confused ?? You guys know ruger sells highcap mags now right ? I bought 20 when I got my m30. Cost me as much as another gun but it was worth not dealing with aftermarket junk.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sure you can get new Ruger high capacity mags. Since the ban is still effective in our state, we have to work with what we can get or buy lower capacity mags.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts