Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

In an attempt to ascertain interest in a new offering, how many folks would be interested in the following.

Since we have the NY SAFE Act limiting magazine capacity, and Colorado and California looking at or doing the same, how many of you would be interested in a semi-permanent magazine modification to your existing 20 and 30+ round AR mags, Mini 14 and Mini30, and pistol mags, and other “high capacity” magazines to limit them to the number of rounds you’re legally allowed in your state?

I believe that I have designed a modification that will do just that, and if sanity ever returns to the restricted areas, or maybe you decide to move where you’re not restricted, the modification could be undone to allow your expensive magazines to hold their full capacity once again. This wouldn’t be like the bullet button where a simple tool would allow you to violate the law, but something that would positively limit the capacity. It wouldn’t change the look, fit, function, or anything else about the magazine other than its capacity. No extra weight, you could keep your standard base plates or Ranger type plates.

And would that be worth $10 to $15 to you plus flat rate shipping for as many as I could squeeze in a box? Let me know what you think before I jump into this with both feet.

Thanks!

Doc

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Doc, That would be a great idea, but I think those states would require a "permanant" modification. Good luck with your venture!

I'd just like to find a couple 5 or 10rnd mags - due to length, even a 20 is to long for my bench rest.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got some interesting legal requirements on the mini14 forum about what constitutes permanent. I may well have to revise or scrap the idea. It's too bad, this could have been a great help those who are limited.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would say that any modification that is not EASILY UNDONE would be considered permanent... Hell... given enough tools and time, I could "undo" a lot of "permanent" mods to things that were never meant to be anything other than what they are... its all a matter of how much TIME and effort do you have to exert to something to change it...

I was going to rivet in long thin strips under the followers to make them stop when they hit the floorplate limiting to 7 rounds... its a RIVET... they use them to manufacture firearms... I would think a RIVET would be considered permanent... sure a grinding wheel and a few minutes could UNDO it... but I could undo the rivets on a rifle trunnion just as quick and pop off the rear trunnion on an AK and install a folding trunnion in instead... I dont think they considered the standard trunnion "temporary" LOL!

Just gotta remember who wants to mess with the "grey area" should it be required in court... with any luck it will be a MOOT POINT and things will get overturned before it becomes a real issue in January!

:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.