Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that some people have no problem with their aftermarket mags locking up after the last shot yet others, like me, can't find a mag that will lock up. I have now tried Eagle, Ramline, John Masen, and some no-name hi caps and none of them have locked up at all. This has me wondering if possibly some have a longer mag latch/release than others. If I push up on the bottom of these mags ever so slightly when they are in the gun they will engage the bolt stop. I measured the mag latch with a caliper and got a measurement of 1.288(top to bottom), .473 from the top of the pin hole to the top of the latch. Those of you with calipers...what kind of measurement do you get? I saw in a previous post that someone had an extended magazine release/latch that helped with the bolt locking up, possibly made by federal ordnance??? Does anyone know where these can be bought or have one of these that they would be willing to sell or trade?

Now my stupidity....
I took out my mag release without thinking about the spring and how it is positioned and now I can't get it back in. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get this back in ? Thanks in advance for any input-Grinch

·
Registered
689 Posts
Grinch I take it you own a standard Mini and not a Ranch model? And by the pharse( locking up) you mean tripping the bolt hold open on the last round? The Ranch model ejector is just a extended bolt hold open so theres more of a bolt hold open for the magazine follower to make contact with, also a little more leverage. But the standard Mini just has a little protrusion for the magazine follower to hit, the standard Mini has a plunger type ejector. Most last shot failures to hold the bolt back are with the standard Mini.I was probably the person talking about the Federal Ordnance extended mag catch. There no longer available unless you can find a used one or old stock. You can get a spare RUGER Mini mag catch assymbly from Gunparts. Corp. part#292110 for$4.35 (blued) they also sell stainless. With the blued steel you can extend(build up with weld) the top of the catch (the end that holds the magazine) with gas welding,brazing or tig welding. If you get stainless you'll have to Tig weld it. Theres usually a 1/16'' or more room in you trigger assym. for the modified catch to clear. This will raise the back of the magazine closer to the bolt hold open. As for putting you catch back in the trigger group you'll need a slave pin the same size(diameter) or a little smaller than the factory pin you removed. The slave pin will only need to be 3/8'' long, just long enough to hold the spring in the catch. Now the fun part the long end of the spring with the bend will catch on the trigger housing and you'll have to push the catch down under pressure until you can see the slave pin line up with the holes in the trigger housing. When the hole are alined push the factory pin in, as your pushing the factory pin in it will be pushing the slave pin out the opposite side. Once you do a few it's a 5 minute job. But you'll want to use a slave pin. You can make a slave pin from a nail or small drill bit anything of small enough diameter. Good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do have the standard mini and I did mean tripping the bolt hold open, sorry if I used weird terminology :) . You're right there is about 1/16" of room for a longer mag catch, that's why I was just curious if possibly some guys had slightly longer mag catches as some were talking about ruger's tolerances a while back. I guess I will try to extend it by welding, unless you would be willing to part with one of your Fed. Ord. mag catches for $$ or trade :) . Thanks for the reply and the ideas about reassembly, that should do the trick!

-Grinch

·
Registered
689 Posts
Grinch the only 2 I have are in rifles. The nice thing about the Federal Ordnance extended catch was it was longer on top and sometimes required a little file work to clear, so you gained that 1/16th or so. Also the long tang on the bottom allowed leverage and you could release the mag by pressing against it with your the end of your index finger(nail side). Hard to explain, but a little faster than your thumb. If you order from GUNPARTS you might want to get a few extra pins and springs, shipping on just the catch is more the the cost of the catch. There new catalog should be out I think the price is $10.00. well worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts