Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I haven’t seen much on bolt action accuracy on this site but here goes. Went to the Range today, I just installed a Timny trigger in my stainless Mk II in .308. Not a difficult job but required some filing to make the safety work. It comes with a light spring and the instructions said if you want a heavier pull to use the original spring. Well it felt a bit light but when I took it out I quickly decided it was way to light for a lightweight hunting rifle and put the factory spring in with the new trigger. Much better, adjustable from about 2-4 pounds (my guess) and very crisp the overtravel easily adjusted down to less than I can discern. The down side is that the bolt does not function nearly as smoothly but I think I can fix that with a little judicious polluting. Didn’t really get smaller groups, though didn’t do well at all at the bench and the best I did from prone supported was about 1.5 with PMC ammo. It was a bit windy though. I don’t want the world but I would like 1 MOA.

I don’t like the way the Ruger synthetic stock rests against the barrel it only contacts on the top edge all the way down and touches the bottom of the barrel at the very front edge. Does anyone know an easy way of free floating in these stocks? I was thinking of putting a couple layers of black tape along the contacting edges and then rebedding the action with ACRAGLAS to lift it up. Then I could remove the tape and I should have that much space. I am afraid that would give me an unsightly fit at the tang though. Do you think I be better off replacing the whole stock. I like the way mine looks except for the swivels and would prefer to keep it. All input appreciated.
Jeff
:usa:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I personally have never been a fan of Ruger rifles except the 10/22. Something about that little rifle I like. When it comes to high-power I'm a Remington fan to the end. I don't care for how the Ruger stock feels and I don't like the action. My opinion only.

:sniper:

http://gallery.alloutdoorschat.com/higstrum/ Here's a link to see my Remington 700 VLS. That's a John Plaster stock with a Harris bipod and a Shepherd scope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
An easy way to "free float" the RUGER stock is take a piece of dowel and wrap some 180 grain sand paper around it and carefully go up and down the barrel channel until the edges of the stock do not contact the barrel. An old rule of thumb is to only take off enough stock so that you can pass a dollar bill between the barrel and stock.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You will need a lot more than a dollar bills worth of clearance on a synthetic stock, there's too much flex in them.
Support the rifle by the heel of the butt and the tip of the forend and hang about 1/2 lb of lead from the end of the barrel, if your bipod equipped use that.
You have enough clearance when a couple of bills will slip thru (with no drag) under the above conditions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'll try the sandpaper routine. I went to the gunsmith this week and asked if the BOSS system browning uses was available aftermarket. His answer No nor anything near. It seems that if something like that is available it would be a relatively inexpensive way to improve accuracy. I also realized that the middle screw is not well supported and if to tight could flex the action downward in the middle. I retightened with that screw only firm and the others tight. I firmed up the back two then cranked the angled one hard and tightened the rear one again. I went back to the range and my best group for PMC ammo was .5 the worst was 1.5 so noticeable improvement. I also fired up a bunch of cheap British surplus ammo. Very inconstant 2.5-3.5 inch groups but a several times I got two in .5 or even the same hole and then one a couple of inches away. Also it often did not go bang (Failure to fire with the primer dented) and had to be fired again only one in 30 would not fire on a second try. Only $30 for 160 rounds but don't use it for anything important. I free float, I am probably done tweaking I’ll post the results here. I won’t spend too much more time on this weapon as it seams to have reached my goals now and it is a light hunting weapon after
I am also working on a mini-14 and I think I will order a CMP Garand in month or two. Never seem to get finished.
Jeff:usa:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts