Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie on this forum and new to the mini 14. So, I purchased a mini 14 and noticed a striking resemblance to my M1 carbine. My father returned from WW II with it (it has Rock-Ola stamped on the receiver).
My question is this: is the mini14 based on this action? Please excuse me if the question is stupid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My understanding is that the mini-14 is based on the M-14 rifle, but miniaturized to accept the 5.56x45. Of course, the M-14 and the M1 carbine were both based on the M1 Garand, so the answer to your question is "yes."

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
Exact same action. Slight differences in dimensions. My Dad could disassemble/strip field and reassemble his friend's M1 Garand and 1911 blindfolded back in the day even though he didn't own either one. Never appreciated that until years later.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Vermont, Northwoods! As Joe226 stated, the Mini is based on the M14. Very similar in size to M1 carbine and uses the same type of action. Enjoy your Mini!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The action was designed by John Garand, and is the basis for the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M-14 (and the Springfield clone M1A) and the Mini-14 and Mini-30.

BTW, the M1A1 is a tank.
The Military back then used "M1...etc..." to identify more than one item. Examples germaine to this discussion are "Rifle, M1" "Carbine, M1" and "Carbine, M1-A1." The last being the "paratrooper" version of the "Carbine, M1,"with a folding stock. (there were also two "P-38s." One a twin engine fighter plane, the other a can opener.( And yes, much later, "Tank, M1" and "Tank, M1-A1.)

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I have and love both but if SHTF I would leave my house with the mini. The mini + 100 rnds = the wieght of the M1A with no ammo. Also the mini gas system is less complicated and easier to clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.