Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie on this forum and new to the mini 14. So, I purchased a mini 14 and noticed a striking resemblance to my M1 carbine. My father returned from WW II with it (it has Rock-Ola stamped on the receiver).
My question is this: is the mini14 based on this action? Please excuse me if the question is stupid.

· Registered
118 Posts
My understanding is that the mini-14 is based on the M-14 rifle, but miniaturized to accept the 5.56x45. Of course, the M-14 and the M1 carbine were both based on the M1 Garand, so the answer to your question is "yes."

· Banned
7,951 Posts
Exact same action. Slight differences in dimensions. My Dad could disassemble/strip field and reassemble his friend's M1 Garand and 1911 blindfolded back in the day even though he didn't own either one. Never appreciated that until years later.

· Registered
9 Posts
The action was designed by John Garand, and is the basis for the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M-14 (and the Springfield clone M1A) and the Mini-14 and Mini-30.

BTW, the M1A1 is a tank.
The Military back then used "M1...etc..." to identify more than one item. Examples germaine to this discussion are "Rifle, M1" "Carbine, M1" and "Carbine, M1-A1." The last being the "paratrooper" version of the "Carbine, M1,"with a folding stock. (there were also two "P-38s." One a twin engine fighter plane, the other a can opener.( And yes, much later, "Tank, M1" and "Tank, M1-A1.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.