1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What 2 rifle combination would you choose? These would be a MBR/Sniper combo
i.e.,
Defensive weapon/hunting combo.

1. M1A Standard and a 308 bolt like the REM 700/Savage FP10 w/ 22"-24" Barrel.

2. M1A Scout and a 308 bolt like the REM 700/Savage FP10 w/ 22"-24" Barrel.

1. M1A Standard and a 30/06 bolt like the REM 700/Savage FP10 w/ 22"-24" Barrel.

2. M1A Scout and a 30/06 bolt like the REM 700/Savage FP10 w/ 22"-24" Barrel.

I do not have and semi 308 or any type of bolt gun.

I do have .22lr .223 .38/.357 20ga
and I will get eventually get 12ga .45acp .9MM and 7.62 x 39

But first the 308 semi and a 308/3006 bolt. I am thinking I should go ahead and get the bolt in 3006 just to have the ability to shoot that round. But I've heard it's best to have a team paired up with weapons of the same caliber in regards to the MBR/sniper roll.

I don't want to buy two bolt guns - one in 3006 and one in 308 - so suggesting this will not help me choose.

With Best Regards,

357B

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why bother with a .308 battle rifle AND a .308 bolt action? Why not just scope the M1A?

The only time I can see carrying an SA and bolt gun at the same time is if the SA is something relatively "weak" like an AR or AK, that you wouldn't even think about using past 300 yards or so (if that).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure. If I am by myself. But lets say that in my case I'm talking about having two shooters. One to take the long shoots, (1 or 2 at most) and another working as a spotter and providing emergency fire. These two guys hit the enemy, bail out, and then do it again in a few days or when ever they think it's safest.

357B

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess that makes sense. I just thought you were talking about one person carrying/using both weapons.

I have an M-14 and a .308 Enfield, and I see both used in a long-distance capacity (though neither are scoped, yet). I have .223 and 7.62x39 semi-autos for closer engagments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a NM M1A. These are great rifles. How about the Mini-14 as the combo. Similar controls. I use an 'o6 for hunting here in Montana.

·
Registered
48 Posts
IF you just have to carry an M1A, then the 2nd rifle(man) should also have the same caliber rifle. The NATO rd will do damm near anything the 30/06 will do out to 800+ yds.
On the other hand if you like the 30/06 then go with a Garand and any 30/06 bolt gun. At least 2 advantages here - Garand is 1# lighter empty & about 2# loaded than an M1A.
Less mag capicity will keep you from burning up a bunch of ammo just because you have it.
Disadvantages: Ammo weighs more so you'd carry less, in a super emergency the extra 12 rds might be handy. But you're talking about long ranges or you wouldn't need a scoped rifle and this negates about all the disadvantages. By the same token why not scope the Garand and both carry M1s? And you can buy Garands barreled in 308 which solves the ammo weight problem.
Sarge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts