Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. My reloads are not cycling smoothly. About every third shot theyre either not extracting from the chamber or are not fully seating against bolt. I am not having this problem with store bought ammo. My loads are once fire lake city brass, hornady 150 grn fmj's, 42.4 grns IMR 8208 XBR, and remington 9.5 large rifle primers. 150 grn Hornady fmj's are loaded per HOrnady manual data, not the service rife data, I couldt find the exact 150 grn data in the service rifle section. Guns up bro's, semper fi.

Ive only been reloading for 9 months so any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
There are two things to check. The first are your loads. Make sure the loads are specific to the M1A. The gas system doesn't adjust so your loads have to be specific for the rifle.

Second is to check the shoulder on your brass. Lake City brass is thicker than non military brass. As such your die might not push the shoulder back as far as you want. You can check this by reloading some of the factory ammo you have already shot. Most of the stuff you find as surplus has been shot from a machine gun which expands the case more than with a rifle. I purchased a Wilson Chamber gauge to help me with this. They are pretty inexpensive. Once the ammo was in spec, my loads worked without a problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rich, are you sure the die is a Full Length die or a "neck squeezer". Also, check your diameter all the way down. The die may be worn or possibly even out of specs from the factory. Do you check your OAL? Make a simple little length gauge and pass your loaded rounds through it. Please let us know what you find is the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.