Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all, I have been kicking around the idea of ordering a M1A new-made receiver from Gun Parts Corp. ( I realize that the Springfield receiver is probably the way to go) and since I am on a tight budget-still doing the child support thing-ouch !, the Armscorp USA seems to be a viable alternative - $379.00 vs. over $600.00 for the Springfield. My question is-does anyone have any experience-good or bad with this type of receiver ? Comments please.:2guns:

No Longer Involved
SA is the best cast receiver on the market, and they stand by their reputation. If you know of one in a shop, grab it. Apparently they have stopped selling receivers, as California is sucking up all their production for the CA legal M1A (since AR-15's are no longer legal for sale here, the M1A is the way to go).

If you have a source, get it while you can. In the end, the addtional few $$$ will be well spent, and you may even save that on the smithing/armorer services involved, because SA receivers fit up better than anyone elses cast receivers.

Registered
Armscorp is a TOP notch reciever!! I have 2 and couldn't be happier.I have had Springfield and they aren't any better.Both are cast.The Armscorp is 8620 steel,heat treated to 56/58(very hard),case depth of .012/.018.All CNC machined.Go to their web page and check them out.You can get them 3 ways,standard NM,rear lugged,front & rear lugged.They are parkerized black instead of gray.They also sell complete rifles. www.armscorpusa.com These guys are not small time.All USGI parts fit & function perfectly.No signs of any wear(2500+ rounds).Springfield better look out.Give these guys a call.410-247-6200. I think you'll be glad you did.:sniper:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey PSG1, thanks for the reply and the info on those receivers ! Man ! I am sooo very glad to hear that,and relieved,as I didn't want to wait to save for a Springfield receiver.I was getting it from Gun Parts Corp. Does Armscorp have a separate web site, or were you speaking of the Gun Parts web site ? Anyhow,I really appreciate your input on the receivers.- BILL:2guns:

Registered
Bill,that is Armscorps site.I don't know how GunParts is selling them so cheap.Armscorp sells their basic reciever for $450.00.Must be a quanity discount thing.:p If you need any help(or tools) when you start to built your gun let me know,I've built many. :sniper:

www.armscorpusa.com

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PSG1,thanks for your reply,and offer of help.Have built a quanty of .45 autos from scratch for people,and accurized them,but as of yet have not tackled a M1A. If you don't mind bugging you with some questions along the way,I will graciously take you up on your offer.I really believe we are put here on this planet to help others by Grace from the Almighty. So what barrel would you reccomend as a start ? Just a plain G.I. type or other ? I plan to mount a rangefinding scope on it as well as a starlight type scope in the future,but the basics first,of course. Thanks, BILL:2guns:

Registered
Bill,I don't mind at all.And your right about the Almighty.With barrels you have alot of choices.USGI standard barrels are pretty good stuff if you get a new one.They are crome lined so you don't have to worry about rust.USGI sniper & national match barrels are not crome lined.Probably the best M-14 barrel out there is a Kreiger. www.kriegerbarrels.com They are rifled by the "Single point" method.A very slow,but most percise method.Also very costly,about $450.00 a barrel. A good middle ground barrel is made by "Barnett".They sell for about $240.00 threw Brownells. www.brownells.com First you need to decide a few things:
1.Stainless or Crome Moly
2.Standard,medium,or Heavy weight contour (Heavy requires modifing the handguard).
3. 1/10,1/11,1/12 twist rifling
4. 4 or 6 grooves.
I wouldn't suggest the Krieger unless you are going to do some SERIOUS shooting.1/10 shoots heavier bullets better,1/12 shoots lighter bullets better.Go with a 4 groove barrel,it puts less drag on the bullet.
:sniper:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey-PSGI, how you been ? Waiting for it as we speak,Ordered it last wekk from Cal.-Dealers Warehouse,with 3 other friends-we are all going to build up one at the same time. Am on pins and needles 'till it gets here. Have not found an inexpensive parts "kit" though. They are all pretty pricey.But one of my buddies has a H & R G.I. barrel,unused,that he is selling to me,so all I'll have to do is find the other parts,and already have 2 different stocks,a synthetic and a nice figured walnut with all the proof marks on it. Thanks,by the way,for all your good info. Will let you know how all this plays out. - BILL:2guns:

Registered
H&R is a good barrel,you'll be happy with it.If you don't mind me asking,how much did the reciever run ya?:sniper:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there PSGI, well,happy day !!! Just picked up that Armscorp receiver today. OOOOOOHH, very nice indeed.The National Match version cost me $379.00 plus shipping and another $30.00 for the dealer fee to get it in and transfer it to me. And am picking up the H. & R. bbl. at gun show this weekend. With any luck I'll have a shooter by the end of the month,maybe a little later since I plan to glas-bed the action in one of the wood stocks I have.Not in a hurry (I am really ) ,but want to do this right the first time and get it right. Will relate more later,and will try to put up pix here of the final result. BILL:2guns:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gunsmithlee- I agree,their site is very informative. Found their site last fall and learned a lot from it. They are really proud of their parts and services (read expensive here) and since I'm still paying child support,I had to find another alternative to the high-priced spread ! Heading to the gun show now to look for a parts kit for the M1A.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey PSGI,Good to hear from you ! Yes and no. One of my shooting buds has a work bud who is a true gunsmith with a verticle milling machine, barrel lathe etc.,and the 4 of us had him install the barrel,headspace it to the bolt and receiver (you need to supply several bolts for this operation, as many times the bolt YOU supply won't do the headspace thing and fit correctly. Put the rifle together and fired a couple rounds from a mag (10 exactly) for function,then disassembled it because I have decided to put on National Match sights,and am toying with having it cryogenicly treated,since there are SOOO many benefits to doing this.There you have it,up 'till today. Haven't talked with you in awhile,so how are you doing ? :2guns: - BILL

Registered
I saw you bought your m1a reciever from Cal.-Dealers Warehouse. DO you have a webpage or other contact info for them?

Thanks

Rich

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi there Al. O.K., the info for Dealer Warehouse is: phone #(209)545-2800, fax# (209)545-2528. They don't seem to have a webpage,and they are located in Kalifornia,so there would be a couple hours difference in time zones,depending on where you live. Got my receiver in less than a week. By the way,the least expensive gov't mags I have seen for sale are from www.coledistributing.com . I was able to pick up the rest of my parts at various gun shows,some of which were really inexpensive,such as the complete trigger group and housing for $45.00-never been used;gas piston in gov't wrapper for $15.00;gov't chrome lined barrel for $100.00-never installed on a receiver ! So,some judicious scrounging at gun shows pays off if you're not in a hurry. Good luck to you. :2guns: BILL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to ask a question of the general membership. Has anyone had any experience with the M14 magazines made by " Western " brand as advertised on the website of fortyfourmag ? Both the Mini-14 AND M14 prices for the 20 rounder are very inexpensive;plus if you want Stainless for the Mini-14,it is only $2.00 additional. Majority of the time "you get what you pay for", as the saying goes-but this is really cheap !!!! Plus they have a lifetime warranty !! Feedback welcome,please. Inquiring minds want to know. :2guns: BILL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts