Perfect Union banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at an M1A today. I have no idea of the manufacturer, as I've not seen it yet, nor talked to the owner.

I'm curious about one thing....I know the difference between 5.56mm and
.223 ammo. Is there a similar difference between 7.62 and .308? And will either round work in ALL M1As?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Both rounds will work to the best of my knowledge. I have a SOCOM 16 and shoot 7.62 and .308 just fine.
7.62 is actually not loaded as hot as .308. It is exactly the opposite of the 5.56mm vs .223.
Thats the down and dirty as I understand it and there will be someone behind me to give you the actual specifics I'm sure

·
Registered
271 Posts
Headspace will make all the difference of whether or not 7.62 NATO will be good to go in that rifle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Headspace will make all the difference of whether or not 7.62 NATO will be good to go in that rifle.
Yeah, I gathered that from the link provided by PigBat. Thanks y'all....

BTW the guy sold the M1A already. Gettin' hard to keep up, everything moving so fast, understandably. It was a Springfield short barrel.
The search goes on......

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Yeah, as a matter of fact. Bought a brand new M-21, accurized, nat'l match sights, etc. I'll post the pix when it arrives. They are getting pricey, for sure. Supposed to get three 20 rd mags from Springfield, too. Darned near $200 for three of those shipped from the factory. Oh well, I'm just happy to have them. Now to get a Bassett scope mount and scope and the Harris bipod, and I'll be all set. I think I'll get the Millett 81001, maybe not the best, but good enough. And I'm runnin' out of money :D. Gotta save some for more ammo when it becomes available again (talk about hard to find!!). Thanks for asking.
Hi Harper;

Congrats on the M-21!! 3x mags for $200, OUCH!

If things ever go back to normal, go to 44mag.com and try some checkmate industries mags. Back in the pre-weird days, they were running for $27 each, shipped. I stocked up on 'em over the last 2 years and they've been champs in my M1A. Checkmate Industries is the current M14 mag contractor for the military and they all came in VCI bags.

FWIW to the OP, I have a SA M1A with a .308 marked bbl and have used both milspec ball and .308 JSP loads without issues. LOVE THAT RIFLE.

Good luck and all the best!
Grumpy

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Thanks Grumpy. I have loved the rifle ever since I qualified on it in basic way back in '66. Have wanted an M1A ever since, and with current events, the time was ripe. Wife wasn't too happy with it, but she, too, understands, knowing full well what's going on.
Looking forward to pics! My wife wasn't exactly overjoyed at my spending the last 2 years either. About the time I figured this clown would be a 2 termer I went into overdrive mode - Gawd I wish I had been wrong and I'd just have to apologize a lot more for unnecessary spending. Now I wish I had spent more - that PTR91 I wanted is probably out of reach forever at this point.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Central Texas and The South. I like you guys. The upper Midwest is more contentious than even and I'm trying to decide when the right time is to pull out and head south.

How's the M-21 shoot?

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Central Texas and The South. I like you guys. The upper Midwest is more contentious than even and I'm trying to decide when the right time is to pull out and head south.
Well, as one former northerner, here are some observations.

Weather is downright HOT here during the summer (locally it has hit 115 degrees).

OTOH, politically its no where near as messed up as it was when I lived in the 'burbs. Not perfect mind you, but at least I'm not having to fight the 'local gun ban of the week', like I did formerly. People there were pretty uptight about gun owners 20 years back so I can just imagine what its like now. Still remember one day loading up the trunk of my beater car with a rifle case and this little kid yelled out "you better not shoot no one with that gun mister" - then hid behind a tree. Yeesh. Kind of takes the fun out of paper punching with a 10/22 when you realize that some of the neighbors figure you're a bad guy just because you punch paper with a .22 and do 3-gun on the weekends with the other guys in the club. Seems like everyone here owns guns, even the democrats. That's what inspired the post about "pro obama gun owners" - I know several dyed in the wool democrats who are pretty conservative about most things. Problem is that they really don't understand how a Chicago liberal thinks like someone who is from that sorry part of the country, so they actually trusted the fearless leader's lies. Enough of that, sorry.

One petty irritation down here is the number of dry counties and blue laws; not that I drink much, but you always have to be careful to stock up before Sunday football....

Getting a concealed carry license is pretty straightforward so even the 'high crime' areas here are nothing compared to what I grew up with. Biggest problem I have EDC'ing is a. my job doesn't allow it and b. its HOT so sidearm choice is a little limited.

Cops so far seem pretty relaxed about private firearms here. One day I was on the range and some guy started hammering away with a bumpfire stock on an AR. Made such a racket I moved from the 50yd lane to one of the 20 yd pistol lanes. Turns out the guy next to me on the 20yd lane was a local cop - and he didn't bat an eye at what for all the world sounded like an M16 blazing away on FA. Back home he would have been calling in the SWAT team and there would have been some 'splainin to do. I just hope this means that if the feddie boys do pass some new Intolerable Act against our 2A rights, the local cops will not go jumping in to enthusiastically enforce it. Got my fingers crossed on that one, anyway....

Overall, I think you'll like it here.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jobs are plentiful here in Texas. Don't know what line you're in, but there's plenty of work in south part of the state with the Eagle Ford oil boom. Lots of high-tech everywhere, too. The new legislative session this year starts out with a near $9 billion surplus in the state coffers. There's some screwy things that go on in the state gov't, but you get that anywhere you go, and it's not near as bad as a lot of places. I've lived in every part of this country, except the midwest, and I really wouldn't want to have settled anywhere else. Of the places I've been, I think Idaho, Montana, and Texas are the most independent states I've lived in, and the least intrusive in their state laws. My main objective when I retired was to live in a place where I would be left alone, and a place away from any big city. The one thing that I've learned about Texas, though, is that while Texans everywhere in the state are independent, mostly conservative-minded folks (the biggest cities tend toward more liberal, Dallas and Austin especially) the cultures in the different parts of the state are very different. It's just such a big state......heck, I-10 from the NM border to the LA border is 881 miles long, and I've driven it a number of times in an 18-wheeler. At least the speed limit on the western half is up to 80 mph now. Climates are also completely different, depending on where in the state you live.

Enough....time to turn in.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Well my new M-21 came in yesterday. Pictured alongside my Mini-14, showing the match sights, yada yada. Still trying to decide whether to risk a onetime removal of stock to attach QD stud for Harris bipod or go with the SA M-2 bipod that attaches to the gas tube. I had forgotten how big the rifle was, having mostly handled the just Mini and a .308 Ruger M77 MkII over the last couple of decades. But still she feels real good. Will get the scope next month.
Harper, that is one outstanding rifle. I really admire it and hope it will bring you many years of shooting joy.

I had exactly the same experience when I got back into the M1A myself. Compared to the Mini, its like a cruiser sitting next to a tin can. Thanks for enclosing the pics. FWIW, here are mine; the loaded edition SAI M1A is stock, except that I put a M1907 sling on her. Have a spare GI canvas one, but for getting serious I like the M1907. The Mini 14 was a complete overhaul on the other hand. Beater police trade-in - surface rust had to be removed, gas system was out of whack, rear sight was trashed (replaced it with a Garand style Tech Sights unit - big improvement), replaced stock with a factory new one and my last wood handguard, and even found a vintage steel buttplate for 'er. Pic's a little dated, since I also put a 1" GI style cotton sling on the Mini too. Sort of like "this is what the Mini 14 was meant to be".

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have shot federal blue box in my m1a. No problems. Having said that I never thought of the potential issues. I would stay away from 180's though.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Well I obviously haven't mastered the forum subscription thing. Over a month has passed without a reply. Sorry for the rudeness men. I appreciate the insights on moving south. I'm in water treatment and that industry is especially lucrative in the south where the weather is warmer (or hotter perhaps). You guys' M21s make me jealous. That adjustable stock is simply awesome. And I love the National Match rear sight. My M14 is a late model Springfield M1A Scout. It wears an LER scope I find deadly accurate, but that's compared to my Mini 14. Love 'em both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts