Perfect Union banner

M14 style flash hider

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Topgun 
#1 ·
Has anyone got any input about the M14 style muzzle thingey?:ar15:

#3 ·
Which one are you referring to? As far as I know there are three flashhiders that people call "M-14 style."

1. The Choate "Birdcage." This has the same type of winged sights as the M-14, but the actual flashhider is much shorter, more like the M-16/AR-15. This hider is fairly popular on this site. The sights are regarded as being much better than the factory blade.

2. The Choate M-14 Style, which has the same exact sight as the above, but has a much longer flashhider and slots and so looks almost exactly like the M-14's. This model is no longer manufactured by Choate and is very hard to find, but very nice if you want your gun to look like an M1A. (I would like to have this flashhider, so if anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know)

3. Pescision Metalworks also makes one that has a winged post sight and has long vents. Originally, this was made to be used with a bayonet. Some (like mine) have bayonet lugs and all have a thicker diameter at the muzzle end to fill the hole in the M9 bayonet handle. This hider does not look nearly as good as the others but works superb at cutting down on the flash at night. It is very heavy as well, and this may contribute to greater accuracy, by dampening the barrel whip as others here have mentioned (but not proven, and I haven't tested it either). The sights on this one are also better than the original because they are lower (eliminating the wobbly rear sight) and darker (easier to see in glaring sunlight - the factory sight kind of dissapears in certain lighting conditions).

#4 ·
Thanks guys, but none of the above. The one I have came from somewhere I found on the net, but I don't remember where. :confused: It is a slip on type that pins to the existing front sight. The cuts are the same as a standard M14. I will attach a picture later. Do I have the first?????? I don't think so.:eek:

#8 ·
cornut, I have the All Weather Ranch with the composit stock. NO pistol grip, as that would make me sooooooooo evil, I just couldn't stand it. It is shinney, and is definately machined from a solid piece of 400 stainless. Will be interesting to see if this makes any difference on accuracy. This rifle already will shoot a 2-3" @ 100 yards, depending on the ammo. Likes the PMP the best right now. This little rifle is real finikey about its diet of ammo though. Never had a FTF or FTE. Always throws the cases about 20 feet.:cool: This is the rifle I will use in the 3 gun match on the 17th of May.

#9 ·
MIDWINK: Good luck with your shoot this month. I have not seen much improvement in accuracy from the flash hider. Prone shooting throws a lot of dust, dirt around. Got the flash hider cause after all it is the small {clone} brother of the M-14 and they come with em. A lot of folks around here prefer a muzzle brake. There is one in the gallery with a cone that is neat.

#10 ·
What is the length of this flash hider.

Im thinking of trying to use one one my new camp carbine. What do you guys think of this set up?

Ruger Mini 30/Stainless/Synthetic Stock
-Short barrel with this flashhider perminatly attached. Overall length 16 in.
-Meprolight tritium front sight
-XS Sights rear ghost ring
-M3 tac light mounted on left side of the forestock. (The Streamlight AR15 adapter worked great for this).

I plan to have, The Arms Room do the work.

#13 ·
i got my gas bushing from ASI in colorado. it actually comes with two. try the smaller one, and if there isn't enough recoil to function properly, use the larger one (it's still a lot smaller than the stock one). installation is a snap. just take the gas block apart and swap them out.

here's ASI's website:
http://accuracysystemsinc.com/mini_14_30_a...ccessories.html
you have to order by phone, but they're good guys and shipping is fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.