Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get back into my old hobby of guns......have been out of it for a long time...doing research....would you say the ruger mini-14 is a close replica of the m14/m1a.....at a more affordable price in an improved version.....I own several ruger handguns and I love rugers workmanship......:sniper:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey block, I wouldn't exactly say the mini is an improved version, but is more affordable. The take down is similar to the m1 I used to have. The mini is definately fun to shoot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey blockhead, welcome back into the fold. Shooting is a great brotherhood. The mini is very much influenced by the M-14/M1A but it's design is very Garandesque (I just made up a word, hope ya'll liked it). Interestingly the gas system used by Ruger is a strong M1 carbine trait, having a slide block with a blind hole over a fixed piston, rather than the piston attatched to the op-rod you see in it's larger cousins. Improved...questionable and subjective. The reduced recoil of the .223 is an improvment in many owners eyes. Some would say the handling characteristics are a great improvement. The accuracy of the little carbine is disappointing at best, and that's Ruger's fault. The barrel is barely over a half inch in diameter and very poorly done. So much for fine Ruger workmanship, this is the fast food hamburger of rifle barrels.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Blockhead62---What reloader says is true. In my words I'd say the Mini-14 is an M1 Carbine in M-14 clothes. It really owes most of it's design to the M1 carbine & just has the appearence of the M-14 on a smaller scale. The one thing that it has over the M1 carbine is it shoots the 223 or 5.56 NATO round which is far better than the 30 caliber round the M1 carbine uses. If you want something larger than a 22 rimfire that's fun to plink with the Mini-14 is a good choice. Just don't get disappointed with its accuracy.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Bushwack,
I don't mean to be nit-pickey, since my source says that you can shoot the 5.56 in a .223 rifle. But, they're not supposed to be the same and you really shouldn't do the reverse, that is, shoot the .223 in a 5.56 rifle. It's late so I'll have to dig out the article later. Even so, I didn't follow up with my own research. They said the seating of the bullet isn't quite right.

This should probably start another thread, if anyone has something to add.:confused:

·
Registered
567 Posts
KC---I heard something about that but it seemed that they were referring to using surplus 5.56 in rifles chambered for 223. The Mini-14 chamber is the same as the A2 chamber & from what I understand both types of ammo work in the Mini.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is true, there are differences. Enough to cause SAAMI to list 5.56 in a .223 chamber as an unsafe combination. http://saami.org/ (get on the site, go to Publications, go to Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations, scroll down)
The primary difference, the important one, is this... the lead (read leed) or throat on the chamber, the area of freebore ahead of a chambered round and before the rifling begins, is twice as long in a NATO spec chamber as it is in a SAAMI spec chamber for .223. I still don't have as clear an understanding as I'd like of the differences in the loaded ammo, but I understand that military ammo in a commercial spec chamber causes excessive chamber pressure. SS109 in a .223 varmint rifle is probably a bad idea, especially with a custom barrel/tight match chamber (SAAMI minimum dimensions). Keep in mind SAAMI specs are there as a guideline for arms manufacturers and gunsmiths. I have seen a relatively new Ruger M77 with an absolutely stupid amount of freebore. Would have made the gun favor the longer pills had it not been a slow twist. The jump between the case and rifling engagement has a great deal of influence on chamber pressure. Seating a bullet into the lands will produce higher pressure than seating it off simply because the bullet will be harder to move, having already established firm contact with the rifling (keep in mind the land diameter is around .218-.220 while bullet OD is .224)
I digress. BTW, our beloved mini bears a NATO dimension chamber. It eats anything you feed it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't mean to be nit-pickey, since my source says that you can shoot the 5.56 in a .223 rifle. But, they're not supposed to be the same and you really shouldn't do the reverse, that is, shoot the .223 in a 5.56 rifle.
To our esteemed member, behind the lines in occupied Kalifornia...(God save us all)

.223 in 5.56 (NATO) chamber...no problem.
5.56 in .223 chamber... gun kicks harder, maybe your primers come out a bit flat, possibly a case failure occurs...

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
mr head, whatever you do don't compare price or you will buy the mini every time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your input on my question...sorry ive been gone since the 20th. I know there is probably nothing like the m14/m1 carbines but their prices are out there.....I was suprised to hear that someone out there...dont remember who...didnt like rugers workmanship......oh well...to each his own....if anyone can direct me to a good m14 site...I'd surely appreciate it.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
This site is a good one for M14, but you may not catch the M14 readers in the Mini-14 forum. If you have questions about the M14/M1A, post them there.

The #1 spot to get M14/M1A information is my M1-M14 list.

http://perfectunion.com/lists/ for more info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.