Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group, been outta the mini 14 game for a few years, but have gotten some interest again after a while.

Question is this;

I've always liked the M14/garand (and thus mini) rifes, and would like to get another wood stocked mini with 18" barrel (not the tactical shorty), and then do some clone work like the pics I've seen on this forum that you guys have done. One of the items I'd like to use is the long style flash hider that looks like an M14 hider, but the only one I can find is the Choate, and if I remember it is a pin on model, and may or may not fit a 581 model, which is what I'm going to get. I'd rather have the barrel turned to accept a threaded flash hider, but am not sure if there is an M14 type of hider that is threaded for minis. Any suggestions? I've searched the threads here and can't find a reference to exactly what I'm looking for. If the long isn't available, I guess I'll search for a factory hider.

I noticed ruger made a longer 18" tactical model some time ago but is no longer available. That would've been a good starting point.

Thanks in advance for any help, and my apologies if the thread exists and I've overlooked it.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've been searching for an M14 look-alike for my "fat-barreled" 580 for some time now. The Choate M14 look-alike isn't available for 580-up Minis, and after discussing the option of opening one up for the 580 with GunDoc, it doesn't seem like a good idea. (Although I can't remember why at the moment...:D)

As for threading, any 'smith would be able to do that. However, I have been unable to find any M14-style flash hiders that don't require the M14 castle nut.

Although maybe one could get a Choate M14 Look-Alike, have it threaded to the smallest possible I.D., then thread the muzzle to match...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I finished my conversion a few weeks ago.They sell surplus front sight posts with the flash hider attached for about $40.If you have access to a lathe ,you can do this in a bout 30min.

I didn't like the bird cage because of how long it was,so I cut mine off and turned it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could have the barrel tip turned down on a lathe, then pin on a Choate.
This is exactly what I did. Took it to the local smith, and he made it fit. Its on the 18" barrel of my ranch version, and its now in a Clydes Armory SCAR stock. After tomorrow it will look as much like a Mod 1 EBR as I can get it. (getting the GG&G rail and scope mounted on it). The Choate brake really gives it that M14 look, and I like the extra length it adds.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I want this one, but at the moment I'm living with the factory tactical one from Ruger.

Flash Hiders

I have one of these gathering dust here, but it's stainless. It could be painted black if you wanted it black. I also have two of the model eoyguy posted if anyone's interested. Time to clean out some parts bins around here. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The muzzle device on the ASI site is a John Masen. ASI is known for re-selling other products after jacking-up the price.

Masen makes the flash hider version (with the holes) and it is on his website. I contacted him a couple of years ago to see if he was making the muzzle brake version (with the long slots) again, and he said yes, but it wasn't on his website. If you contact him directly, you could see if he's still making it.
no dice. Got this for a reply:

We don't make it with slots or for a threaded barrel. Sorry!

Johnna Redmon

John Masen Co.

Guess i'm gonna have to wait for one to pop up elsewhere....thanks for the hints though, its appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hate to beat a dead horse, but I got a factory flash hider for my mini (stainless), and before I got the barrell threaded I decided I didn't like it. I'd like to find a couple of these:

Item:3406229 Mini 14 / M14 style Flash Hider For Sale at GunAuction.com

I need a stainless and a couple of blued. They are the long m14 type that pin on. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Anyone still make them, or am I going to have to lurk auction sites for these things? Thanks guys, appreciate the help. BTW if anyone has some, I'd be willing to trade the factory SS hider.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
hate to beat a dead horse, but I got a factory flash hider for my mini (stainless), and before I got the barrell threaded I decided I didn't like it. I'd like to find a couple of these:

Item:3406229 Mini 14 / M14 style Flash Hider For Sale at GunAuction.com

I need a stainless and a couple of blued. They are the long m14 type that pin on. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Anyone still make them, or am I going to have to lurk auction sites for these things? Thanks guys, appreciate the help. BTW if anyone has some, I'd be willing to trade the factory SS hider.
IIRC, that's an Eagle pin-on flash hider. Extremely popular in the '90s. Unfortunately, Eagle is no longer in business. I don't even think they were around when the fat-barreled 580s came out, so you may be SOL on two fronts. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.