Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a police sniper. I am interested in purchasing a M-25 rifle for duty use. I have heard of M-K Specialties and they make custom M-14 A type rifles and produce a M-25 at a reasonable price. Has anyone heard of M-K Specialties and do they make good rifles? I have not heard of them before, I just came across their internet site www.m-kspecialties.com. They make new rifles with forged receivers and guaranty 1/2 minute of angle accruary with their M-25. Before I send them any money for a down payment, I would like to know if they are a credible rifle manufacturer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sniper you can check out Gun And Knife.com I think thats the site? Under M1A or M14 those guys chew the fat on MK special alot. This should help also I don,t think I,d rule out the AR 10T for what your lookin for!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Policesniper. You may want to reconsider using an M1A/M25 as a police sniper rifle. Here are a few reasons why(in my opinion)
The service parameters for a police sniper are far different than for a military sniper. The M25/M14/M1A is a damned fine platform for a military sniper but not so much for a police sniper. A military sniper typically fires at his targets from extreme ranges so a heavy 308 is a good choice in calibre. Also a military sniper can be successful if he hits his target anywhere in the torso. In addition to this, follow up shots need not necessarily be made in quick succession. As a final note, if a military sniper hits someone other than his intended target, big f***king deal.
On the other hand a police sniper typically fires at relatively short ranges. A 200 yrd shot for a police sniper is a long shot. So a heavy 308 may not be necessary or even desireable. Over penetration is a real concern for a policeman in an urban environment.
A police sniper must also be more precise in his shot placement. You must be able to place the shot in exact ponits on the bad guy, who may be holding a hostage next to him or at the very least in close proximity. Hitting an innocent should be absolutey unacceptable to a policeman.
Rapid follow up shots with a heavy recoil semi auto can be difficult even under no stress situations. In actual combat it can be impossible. Your heart will be pounding like a freight train and you may be breathing like an F 4 Phantom on afterburner. These do not lend themselves to accurate shot placement.
Consider if you will using an AR15 with a good scope as your service sniper rifle. An AR with a heavy barrel 1:7 twist will accurately fire 75 and 80 grain bullets. At 200 yards it will penetrate body armor and car doors. They resist wind deflection better than standard 55 grain bullets and tend to fragment upon impact with flesh.
As a final note, an AR with a good muzzlebrake/compensator and a sling/harris bypod combination will make rapid follow up shots almost instantaneous if you train with it regularly.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dunno, guy...

I agree with most of your post, with the exception of one point. I don't know that you have to worry about over-penetration with a .308 so much if you choose proper ammunition for the job.

Military snipers accustomed to using (what is it now?) M108 ball ammo (168 grain, BTFMJ) might have problems with over-penetration at short ranges that a police sniper would encounter in the "day-to-day".

The rub is this though: the Geneva convention rules do not apply to police snipers shooting bad guys. They are allowed to use hollow point bullets, which significantly reduce risks of over-penetration. In addition, Sierra makes a 168 grain boat tail hollow point and I have yet to encounter its equal in terms of accuracy-- at any range to 600+ yards... certainly more than adequate for a police sniper.

The issue of firing concurrent shots and worrying about collateral damage, well, that's training. And in my days (short as they may be) working with police officers, I've never met a team leader that wanted a multiple sniper-shot scenario--- it's one shot, or more than one shooter at once, or nothing. That kind of burden to place on one shooter at close range is almost too much, IMHO.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
dude think about it, hey i think the m25 is probably a awesome weapon, (never shot one) and wont at the current prices ive seen. The question is do u really need that type of weapon for your duty, 1st whats the average range a police sniper shoots, it well under 600yds, probably under 200 and thats being liberal with the range, im not sure but i believe i read some where it was around 100yds, thats average, 2nd do u need that much power, yes with the tap ammo and stuff u dont get overpenetration, but i believe that if u check (im not totaly sure) but i believe using the sierra 168gr bthp match isnt the answer to the overpentration problem. Its not a hunting round its a match round and you get (no) expansion from the hollowpoint, thus you will probably get overpenetration especially at the shorter ranges of a police sniper and last but not least is the dang price of the thing, you can buy a good bolt gun or a nm m1a scope it and all the little accessories u want for a lot less money than for just the cost of the m25. Not being a smart a** but back up and look do u want the m25 so u can say u got one and have everyone goo and gaa over it or do u want a good servicable accurate weapons system at a whole lot less money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dude, what all did you do before you became a police sniper? when you became a cop did you start as a patrol cop till they saw what a crack-shot you were and asked you to become a sniper or did you fill out a iwannabeasniper form and submit it? i'm curious cause i sure would love to mix my love of shooting with my work.

also i think the m25 would be a great gun for police work as long as you used tap rounds or something similar. it'd be better because in a hostage situation with a criminal standing behind the hostage with a gun to his/her head and you have to take the shot it'll be as accurate as any bolt gun at that range and anyone shot with a .308 tap round won't have the ability to squeeze the trigger as they go down. there would be way too much trauma for that level of responsiveness. if anything the complete obliteration of the bad guy is a good thing. a 223 will kill no doubt about that but it wont steal there life away nearly as fast as the "death ray" .308 but i'm not the sniper, so you should be able to make a much better decision on what weapon is right for your profession than i ever or anyone here ever could.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by @Apr 14 2001, 04:41 AM
I have heard of M-K Specialties and they make custom M-14 A type rifles and produce a M-25 at a reasonable price. Has anyone heard of M-K Specialties and do they make good rifles?
The ATF shut MKS down for making receivers that had features that allowed easy conversion a machine gun. They rewelded a number of receiver halves, and sold a few forged receivers. The ATF is seizing these as well.

If it sez MKS on the receiver run away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Policesniper, Please stay away from anything to do with MKS they are crooks.after the atf seized my rifle they lied and kept my M1A. told me that the atf siezed them too. and if they would lie about that how could you trust their workmanship??if you want a good start go see Clint McKee at fulton armory he is a stand up guy and as advertised. Tim :cannon:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure most people know of MKS's poor dealings with customers in the past. I am one of their victims. On 9 Apr 2001 They ripped me off for 2 M14e2 Stocks and 1 demilled reciever. I have filled complaints with W. VA Attourney General(304)558-8986 and the BBB/Canton Regional and Greater West Virgina (330)454-9401. So far they have done nothing to complete the transaction on their part.
It appears they are selling on Ebay using the seller ID jessandmike1995 If you chose to do business with them be forwarned. :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
jessandmike1995 is Michael Kelly formerly of M-K Specialties of Grafton West Virgina. They are selling items they obtained through mail fraud to help pay for their lawyer fees. they are under investigation by the B.A.T.F for manufacturing illegal machineguns and mail fraud below is a copy of an article in the The Dominion Post a West Virginia newspaper about MR. Kelly along with the link to verify what I am saying.

http://www.dominionpost.com/a/news/2003/09/06/ae/

Grafton man indicted on hundreds of firearms violations
A licensed gun manufacturer was indicted by a federal grand jury on 386 counts of manufacturing and distributing firearms using various names and business locations.
Michael J. Kelly Sr., 50, of Route 3, Box 470, Grafton, faces 10 years in prison on each of most counts of the indictment and millions of dollars in fines, if convicted.
According to U.S. Attorney Thomas E. Johnston, counts 1-95 of the indictment allege that Kelly made machine guns which were not registered with the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record, and did not pay appropriate taxes.
Counts 96-190 allege he transferred the machine guns to others; counts 191-200, committed mail fraud beginning in August 1999 through July 2002, by devising a scheme to obtain money and property from buyers and that he made false representations to the legality of the firearms he manufactured and sold.
The indictment also alleges that Kelly made M-14 receivers, which were produced from receivers allegedly destroyed in accordance with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms regulations. Receivers are the hardware built into gun stocks that contain the mechanism that fires a gun. It is also the serially-numbered part which legally constitutes the firearm.
He allegedly sold 300 receivers and provided customers with false representation.
Counts 200A-203 alleges he sold the firearms to non-residents; count 204, alleges that he unlawfully possessed machine guns and counts 205-295, allege that he made unregistered machine guns.
Counts 296-385 of the indictment allege that Kelly sold the machine guns that were not registered and count 386 alleges he possessed two semi-automatic assault weapons.
If convicted, he faces 10 years and a $250,000 fine for each of counts 1-190 and 204-385 and five years in prison and a $250,000 fine on each of counts 191-203 and 386 of the indictment.
The case will be prosecuted under the Project Safe Homes Initiative by Assistant U.S. Attorney Randolph J. Bernard.

They just sold an M-14 Rifle Stock that looked like one of the Items that they stole from me on 4-12-01 and i am sure they are selling off many other things that they have obtained illegally.

It looks like the old saying is true "Payback is a Mo#*!$^+*$?er
:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, its me again

To be fair, which is something that M-K Specialties doesn't seem to be too good at. I have no Proof that they are selling stuff that they obtained from mail fraud. Although I believe otherwise. (Let me say this again I have no Proof)

http://www.dominionpost.com/a/news/2003/09/06/ae/

It seems that someone :rolleyes: is contacting people who are biding on the stuff they are selling on Ebay and letting them know of the above newspaper article.

They are now using bellasmom-n-dad as their selling ID on Ebay "Caveat Emptor"

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I would recommend that if you want an M-25 in your law enforcement arsenal, that you buy a Fulton Armory's Peerless Grade M-14 along with the McMillan synthetic stock. This setup is essentially an M-25 rifle and a good buy for 2 reasons:

1) Everyone who has shot this rifle just loved it and really coudn't write anything bad about it

2) Unlike Springfield, you can own an M-25 without having to pay an additional $700 for it - all you get for spending that extra money on the Springfield is Carlos Hathcock's signature engraved on the receiver and nothing else!

Yeah the sheer power of the .308 round is considerable, but you could still use a law enforcement loadout of frangibles to attack "soft" targets with it. This gives an advantage over the .223 round in that it is less suscptible to being blown around in the wind or the other problems associated with the lightweight bullet, but still shatters upon contact with hard objects like concrete and steel.

An M-25 is expensive - but you really get what you pay for and with proper care will never have to be replaced. Another excellent rifle in my opinion is the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Rifle - but at over $5000 a piece, spendy as well. A good low cost alternative for a LE sniper rifle is a stock Remington 700 chambered for .308 along with a high quality scope. Great accuracy and you can't beat the $700 price tag!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts