Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Mini-14GB model 197. Problem is that while the modern vented handguard might be a better design I'm a sucker for that classic look. Does anyone out there have an old style wood handguard?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, if you really want that "old school" look, why not put an actual M-14 (not Mini-14) handguard on it? Both Chilly and Popeye have done writeups on adapting the M-14 handguard to the Mini-14, and it's not only pretty easy, it looks fantastic!
Finding an M-14 handguard (either wood or fiberglass) is also pretty easy: Fulton Armory, Gun Parts Corp, e-Sarco, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen those threads but really didnt see what was required to mount it. I did try fitting my M1s stock to my mini-14. It probably would work without too much work. It would take come shortening but I think would work. Doesnt fix my handguard issue tho. Is there any specifics as to what it takes to mount the m14 guard?

·
Registered
32 Posts
New Wood Handguards! Need your help!

Hi, first post, so bear with me. I just got my 581-series stainless GB at the beginning of Jan., and have been working feverishly to get it set up "right". It currently wears a B-C folding stock and Tri-Delta Muzzle brake, along with a Leupold 2-7x33 scope. My Walnut stock from Numrich is due to arrive this week and I have been scouring these forums and numerous other places to find a wood handguard at any price.

I saw on a thread here back in November that CObrien was trying to work with Wenig to create a new supply of them, but the thread has dried up. I decided to take matters into my own hands and have gotten in contact with Rob at Gunville.com. He says that if I can get him an original, he can make them for $37, sanded to 220 grit, but otherwise unfinished. I mentioned interest in both birch and walnut, and I'm pretty sure he can do both.

Problem is, I don't have an original wood handguard. Does anybody have one they'd be willing to part with temporarily and help out the rest of us?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but I made from from a M1 Garand hand guard. Rather easy. Just had to cut it down a bit and enlarge the op rod slot. Easy Peasy :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I've considered making my own, I just don't have the tools to do it right. Also, I don't want to ruin somebody's chance of picking up a Garand handguard in a few years when the CMP coffers run dry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got mint thru gunpartscrop.com like 20 bucks brand new. I did it with a leather man wood saw, two fine tooth files and one sheet of sand paper. Took about 90 mins to do without power tools.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts