Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this post and have a friend that owns a M-14 with selector lock manufactured by H & R. Is it legal to own this weapon? At gun shows I have been told that as long as you don't try to sell the gun or shoot it full auto its not illegal and you can bring it to gun shows as long as it has a selector lock. Also on the internet, I located a couple of cases where M-14 owners went to prison for trying to sell M-14s. Other people have told me its illegal to own an M-14 since they were never issued by the military and its worth 10 years in the pen if you have one in your possession. Do any of you guys know what the real deal is on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Sir,

I sounds like you have a machinegun. The M-14 was never made for civilian sale and unless it is registered with the ATF on the National Firearms Register as a legal machine gun then you could have some problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't own an M-14 as I learned enough from my internet research to realize it is illegal. I was frankly surprised at the ignorance of the dealers at gun shows as every one I talked to had a different answer as to the legality of owning a M-14. I thought to get a FFL you had to pass a test on such matters? I shoot the M1A with a friend who used an M-14 in Vietnam and loved the weapon. He said it saved his life once when he was a Marine Forward Air controller on the ground and was overrun by the VC. He said he preferred the M-14 to the M-16 because of its knockdown power.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Georgia14,
A friend loaned me his "Accurizing the M14" paperback. It was written by an Army armory professional with over 20 years experience. It was over 90 pages of first-hand knowledge, with pictures and lots of "inside" information.

According to the author, M14's have never been available to the public through government auctions. It seems that Congress passed a law that specifically forbid the sale of M14's, period. They must be destroyed. If anyone has a M14, it must've been stolen from an armory or somehow "lost" in the supply system.

However, there are M1A's offered for sale through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I believe that these are M1A's converted from M14's. If I understand the facts correctly, these are previous M14's with the receiver permanently modified so they cannot be reconverted.

My friend that loaned me his book has bought through the CMP. It's hit or miss on the quality. You usually get something between good or very good in quality. If the rifle happens to be less than good, you still own it and there aren't any swaps or refunds. And the price for poor is the same as very good.

As to where the folks you mentioned are getting M14's, they must be stolen, or illegally imported (smuggled). Maybe there's a freelance machinist out there grinding out receivers.

Another thing about M14 receivers. According to the book, only the US government can afford to hammer forge receivers. This process made the M14 extremely durable. All M1A's are made by investment casting or less quality, and so they won't last as long. Springfields's M1A falls in that category.

I hope this helps,

KC

:usa:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kalifornia Citizen for the excellent information. The reason I have such a fascination for the M-14 is my brother over the years tells me tales of how he slept with one for 3 months in the Marines at Parris Island in l965. He said even now he could assemble it blindfolded. I also have a buddy who was an A-4 Marine pilot in Vietnam and he gets teary eyed when he describes how the M-14 saved his life when he was overrun by the VC when he was on the ground as a Forward Air Controller in 1965. He now owns two AR-15s and two M1As and tells when when the stuff hits the fan, he is heading out the door with his M1As because he wants the knockdown power.

·
Registered
178 Posts
K C ..... I do believe that there are a few floatin' around in Afghanastan and the Navy Seals currently have a few still in service. There are also a few on board some of the Naval Vessels on the high seas. At least thats the last word that I received on them. Have a great day! ;)

Six Out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Complete M14s (auto or semi-auto) currently aren't offered for sale to the public by the CMP or any other government affiliated agency or organization, and I don't think they ever have been. I believe U.S. Government M14s have been loaned to police departments, marksmanship teams, etc. - maybe this is what Georgia14's friend has?

In addition to U.S. government contractors, Smith Enterprises (www.smithenterprise.com) has manufactured forged M14 receivers, and M-K Specialties (http://www.m-kspecialties.com/) is currently manufacturing them. Also, Chinese (Polytech and Norinco) M14 receivers are forged.

Brad

·
Registered
18 Posts
My understanding is that the M-14 is still available to certain special operations units such as the Green Berrets and the Navy Seals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CMP sold 2 (I think) "legalized" M14 "nationl match" rifles back in late 70's, which resulted in a huge legal battle as they were just welded up M14's. Those may still be somewhere......

There are a few Class III M14's out and about too, but maybe they were civvie brand receivers........ dunno. Smith Enterprises I think at least made a selet fire receiver at one point.

MKS rewelds are currently under investigation...... and will likely be deemed illegal

MKS New forged are also apparently under suspicion.......

Chinese made select fire models too, but there cant be many of them in country....... dealer samples only.

All the services currently use the M14 in some specific role, but as the thing has an incredibly high cyclic rate, i bet they all have the selector lock on. The USMC variant is particularly cool.......

Uncle Sam is giving them to LE departments nationwide, by the boatload.

Short of it is, dont touch one with a ten foot pole if it says Winchester, TRW, Harringon Richardson, or Springfiled Armory (not "Springfield Armory, Inc."), or Norinco/Polytech for that matter, and has a selector tab on the receiver, unless you's a cop or in the military.

·
Registered
541 Posts
GEORGIA,your government dosen't trust you with a full auto.They fear you might use it on them.They didn't read the part of the amendment that reads "shall not be infringed".Keep the gun,stop talking about it.Anywhere.Hide it where it can't be found,till you need it.From this point on,you threw it in the river.And you were wrong,it was just a semi auto.:sniper:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts