Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be darned, never noticed this section until today...

So...anybody make their own lures? That's kinda my gig, though the market has slowed this year and I've not done a whole lot this year. Our machinery has not sat idle but we've had time to take more naps.

I make tools/tooling for soft plastic makers. I also make spinner/buzz baits, jigs, lead heads. I dabbled in painting crankbaits for a while but got tired of that as my artsy skills aren't up to par.

Would love to see what you guys make if you do. Share 'em up.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Something over the years I've always wanted to do and now that I have access to a private eight acre pond full of bass and crappie, these are my first attempts at making my own poppers.
3/4" poplar dowel hand spun on a grinder, eyelets made from .042" electric fence wire wound around a small drill bit anchored in my vice, hula tails attached to a hot dipped galvanized short piece of box nail and painted with Testor's model enamel paints and all embedded parts are set in JB Weld.
My theory is that the way the popper lays at angle in the water is just as important as the paint job. With the extra weight of the embedded nail holding the hula tails the lures free float heads up at about 45/50 degrees, similar to a resting frog in the water.
There's one in the photo that has no paint, just a waterproof coating so I want to see if the lure's angle and motion is just as important as color.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.