Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I picked up some CCI Stinger Ammo today at the local gun shop. I like the ballistics on it but I just wanted to know how well does it work in the real world? I use it for ****/rabbit/skunk hunting. Do you think it will really kill faster or in less shots than your standard winchester super-x bullet?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I lived in Northern California my weekends were filled with shooting ground squirrels. I used up cases of CCI Stingers! The hit results were fantastic. On ground squirrels a hit anywhere was a kill. I used a scoped gun and had to really dial in the gun to the ammo. Once that was done, my success ratio was very high. Also much beyond 75-100 yards the velocity and energy were the same or slightly less than standard Long Rifle ammo. Based on my experience, I would tell you to keep your shots close, less than 75 yards, and go for the head on larger animals like *****.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the CCI Stinger case is a little longer that regular 22lr. If you're shooting a target rifle the chamber may too tight for the longer case. I have a 10-22 T/TS that states in the manual "DO NOT USE CCI STINGERS!!". They give the same reason.

Other than that I have used them in another 22 I have and they do have more push to them.

:sniper:

Did you ever get in touch with Youngs Guns about the 10-22 T/TS?
http://www.boydboys.com has the same style of stock but it doesn't have "Ruger" etched into it. I think they're around $100.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depending on how your respective rifle shoots Stingers may work well. If they don't try Winchester Power Point (with the 40 Grain bullet) or CCi Mini Mag, same fatal results but they seem to be more accurate.

·
Registered
685 Posts
sniper you are so right! my hb will only shoot 1 er' 2 at the max so i gave up, but i'm very interested in aguila's .22 that shoots 1780 or so and uses brass cases!!! i think it's called super max not sure though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Waffen, it`s going to depend on what you are looking for in this round. I will assume....(I know) by what you mentioned....you are not after meat or pelts. If thats the case, the Stinger will be more than enough. The explosive power of it...will more than despatch those critters....even out to 100 yards effectively. I have a 10/22 built around that specific round, drop at 100 yards is about 1 1/2 inches. If you are making short shots, under 50 yards and want the same knockdown without meat or pelt damage.....try AGUILA`s .22, 60grn Solid Sub-Sonic, it launches like a mortar.....but hits with real smacking power. Regards LTS

·
Registered
685 Posts
too bad that the powder smells like SUPER GLUE when burnt. the .22 sss is a good round but they need to change powder. it's all about shot placment any way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
:sniper: There isnt a bullet out there that is going to kill faster or in less shots. It all comes down to bullet placement. I have seen a 22 kill a deer just as quick as a 270 and I am talking one shot. If you cant hit, the bullet wont make any difference.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Shot placement is the number one concern. But its the most accerate with the 40gr bullet I have found for my .22 mag.:ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I agree with the guys. I say give them a try unless you have a match barrel with a bentz chamber. I believe Clark match barrels will handle stingers.
BTW the stinger case being longer is necked down to form the new .17HM2

·
Registered
78 Posts
The CCI Stinger is this for the 10/22 target model only? not to use , or all the 10/22 s , I was going to say , I Have use them in my 10/22 lots of times but on the standard model.10/22 not the target model.?

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
like Caj. said, the stinger round, being longer, won't chamber properly in a match chamber. It may be possible to get the round to fire, but the case may not be completely in the chamber.
That being said, A friends mark 2 pistol shot it's best groups w/ stingers.My son's model 60 marlin also groups the best w/ them.

:sniper:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
astronomer said:
The CCI Stinger is this for the 10/22 target model only? not to use , or all the 10/22 s , I was going to say , I Have use them in my 10/22 lots of times but on the standard model.10/22 not the target model.?
You can use stingers in the standard 10/22 barrel as it has a "sporter "chamber. Only the match barrels with tighter "bentz" chambers is not made for the stingers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have used Stingers in my 10/22T, and they seem to function fine (does the 10/22T really have a match chamber? It sure doesn't have match headspace... or maybe they changed this for the new ones, since mine is 5 years old and I don't remember anything like that in my manual).

But I sure would not shoot them without a recoil buffer unless I wanted to hammer the ass'y pin holes out of shape really fast...). And they aren't very accurate -- groups are twice the size. More power, but not accurate, and a different point of impact (I got 2+" high, 3/4" left at 50 yds, 2" high, 2" left @100 yds) = a bad idea unless you are sight only for them. Nothing I have shoots them with comparable accuracy, rifle or pistol. I certainly wouldn't want to see anyone try to shoot game with them, unless it was large and close, as it would not be sporting to shoot if it is likely to leave a wounded animal.

I don't know if they would be accurate with the right twist rate, or a chamber cut specifically for them. (It would be interesting to hear from someone who has done this.)

I keep Stingers for one rifle, the AR-7, because it is the only thing is shoots reliably, but you trade accuracy to get the power and reliability.

As for the Aquila Super Maximum 30gr -- I hate 'em. Groups were awful, more of a pattern, some off the paper. (And they were flat out dangerous in the AR-7. Pressure was so high I was getting a face full of hot powder.) Skip these unless you have a locked action like a bolt or lever action, or want to use a heavier spring.

I do like the Aquila SSS 60 gr -- a really unusual round in short case. You have to sight in for this round, it shoots about 5" low in the 10/22T at 100 yds, and really should have a 1:9 twist instead of standard 1:16 to stabilize properly

·
Federal Firearms Licensed
736 Posts
My experience with stingers is limited, but I noticed they have much more umph than standard velocity .22 cartidges. I sighted a 10-22 in with a new scope with standard .22. Then I tried stinger, which resulted in the POI being about 3-4 inches higher at 50 yards. However, dead on where I was aiming. Mark W.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys,

I have noticed that the stingers have quite a bit less drop at 100 yrds than other ammos.
Just for your information, Green Mountain makes a heavy barrel that they say is a "match" barrel intended for stingers and high velocity ammos.
It is the one I have, and it seems to like the stingers - but I'm not an expert.

Good Hunting!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have used the Stingers for years in my Mannlicher stocked 10/22. This is my main squirrel gun now, and the Stingers make easy kills out to 75 yards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the stinger is a good round for small game the volicity is fast enough to make the little hollow point expand a lot faster then HV rounds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts