Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all new to the site . really like it alot.i have a problem . my mini 14target is really heavy and as much as i like it , i need to do something about it.so this goes out to all the masters of the mini 14 moders , and smiths. i would like to cut the barrel down to 18'' ,and turn the end as well . i have a friend with a nice lathe ,with a cooling system for cutting as well.can this be done , as here in canada getting another barrel will cost as much as the the gun itself.im using it for coyote ,and my shots are no more than 200 to 250 yards , so 1'' to 2'' shot groups will do.can this be done .what would be other options.cheers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the idea of an 18" heavy barrel without the dampener. Is that what you had in mind?

Do you have the laminated stock? If so, any of the synthetic replacements will save you a pound or so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi jim580. i have the gun in a ati strikforce stock . works well but that barrel i think is way overkill. i think if i cut to 18'' and turn the last 6'' to the gas block down 1/16 . i should get a really nice shooter not to mention a fast handling gun.its just so heavy , hurts to sling as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey calaber40,

I realize you're North of the border and firearms issues are way worst up there so this is what your stuck with, but they did designed this rifle as a Target Gun, not a fast handling 'yote killer. However, I can't see any reason why you could not remove the harmonic dampener, chop the barrel, and re-crown it. I don't know the diameter of the target barrel at the muzzle so remember, if you take too much off, then you end up getting into the problem most older Mini's have, unregulated barrel whip, which will kill the accuracy. Just my thoughts on your plan. Take care, and again, Welcome.

Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't have a target model so I don't know what that dampener weighs.
I cut 4" off of a 24" heavy barrel Handi-Rifle and it amounted to roughly 1/2 lb. So with the dampener and the 4" cut on your mini you might be in the neighborhood of a pound + or -.
I found the most comfortable way to carry a heavy barrel rifle on a sling is muzzle down. It takes a little getting used to, but the balance and comfort are better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replay guys . i think im going to remove the harmonic ballancer and weigh it , and get a peace of steel rod the same size as the barrel to be cut off and weigh that to to get an average wieght to see if its worth the trouble.as for barrel whip , you dont get more than one to two shots at a yote so it doesnt heat up .point of impact shouldnt really change i think. correct me if im wrong.cheers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good point about the barrel heat up. I'm use to shooting prairie dogs and hogs with my Mini. I have a Ruger 77V in 6mm for 'yotes. :)

Pac Nor has a weight calculator so if you have you have the barrel diameter @ the muzzle you can roughly figure out the weight per in of barrel. Just FYI

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's not as much about the amount of weight reduction, but what it does for point of balance.

calaber40,
If you use the Pac Nor calculator, please post the results. I'm really curious about the weight savings by turning down 1/16".

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I use a sling with my target and get used to carrying on 1/2 mile or mile hikes. It has a sling stud for the bipod and used a sling attachesto the gas block mount. It is heavy if I carry without sling on the shoulder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes a slig with the rite set up will help a lot for carrying it around . but when your tracking a yote at a good trot its hard to keep it on him exspecially when the buggers zig zaging around.the gun just doesnt stop when you want it to.its like holding a 2x4 at one end . the sway is hard to stop if you get my drift.still would like to here from someone thats done something like this though?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so i weighed the harmonic balancer and a bar about the same as the barrel dia to be cut off. 1lb 1.5 oz. even with the harmonic balancer off it feels way better.and if i take off a mil or 2 from the gas block to the end of the barrel , that should shed some as well.the barrel is 19.5 mil right now. dia.i really need to talk to a gunsmith on this.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I was thinking someone did cut a target barrel down, it would make it quicker handling and give you better balance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand the weight issue, because you have to get to your hunting area first, but isn't varmint hunting usually done from a prone position?

I hunted woodchucks years ago and would set up in a high position on the edge of a large pasture with my rifle on a bipod. They would stick their heads up and look around and provided I was quick enough to acquire the sight picture, I usually nailed them.

Do you really need a "fast handling" rifle for hunting coyotes?
were hunting coyotes from low folding chairs and sticks.on the move evey 30 minutes or so. unlike ground hogs , coyotes will cross a field in 20 to 30 seconds. like today one was at my mojo quicker than you can say heel boy..lol 300 yards 18 seconds. stopped to figure out if the mojo was edable , and boom . dead.its fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i finally found a new gun shop with a reall nice gunsmith and he said he can cut my barrel to 18'' , turn a 1/16 off and crown for under 250 to 300 dollars.cheeper than buying a new barrel , or a new gun. and it should shoot better than a ranch cause its still way thicker.weight lose is about 1 1/4 pounds.thats a lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well after coyote hunting this morning . 3 lacations and only one came out to play tag. we hit the gun range to play hit the 300 yard steel plate. while some guys were having a hard time hitting it with there 270 and 308 .i managed to hit it 7 out of 8 with my mini target.lol not bad at all i think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i finally found a new gun shop with a reall nice gunsmith and he said he can cut my barrel to 18'' , turn a 1/16 off and crown for under 250 to 300 dollars.cheeper than buying a new barrel , or a new gun. and it should shoot better than a ranch cause its still way thicker.weight lose is about 1 1/4 pounds.thats a lot.
That sounds great!!

If it's what you want, go for it!!

Where I'm at, we usually hunt 'yotes at night, because you just can't call them in during the day! You might see one running across a field on occasion, but not very often, even at dusk & dawn. Sounds like you hunt 'yotes up there, like we hunt feral hogs down here, (unless you got a 'chopter:eek:) Kill them when you see them!!

Remember, it's your rifle, if it works for you, it's Gold!!

Take care, and be safe!

Pete

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well by the time you read this my minis 14 target is going in for surgury. . 4'' barrlel cut ...1/16 '' off the barrel -muzzel to gas block. and ill get the muzzel crowned and threaded for a brake. ah what the hell . lets do a trigger job too 2 1/2 lb .....when she gets back , ill hopfully have her new sparta stock to wear.ooooh laaa.by the way i was at one of our sport shops today and they had the bennelli mr1 in 223 . real nice looking. i fondaled her to. and.........well shes kind a heavy,8 lb. no collapable stock.thin barrel too.just like the ranch.1750.00 plus tax.13%. i think ill pass. i think im going to enjoy my mini when she gets home......here yote ...comon boy.catch....lol

1 - 20 of 75 Posts