Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for mods for my brand new mini and kept getting sent here. So i decided to register for comments and opinions on future mods and ammo purchases.
Anyways heres my new mini 581 series! Oh and the first pic is with the new TCP 738 i got for my wife.

Im looking to get a stock but not sure which one i perfer. Im not paying new price for the SCAR, and im not so sure about the Sparta, so that leaves me with the Stikeforce.
So making a list for the mods, i pretty much want all the normal, i mean who wouldnt.
Stock, scope, bipod, sling, muzzle brake, mags, and all the ammo i can get...lol

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Less is more. Put a rail on the bottom of a Ruger synthetic stock and maybe some kind of short rail on the barrel (UTG makes them) and leave it alone. kwg

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd concentrate on shooting it a bit just to get things worn in together and gettin' along with each other.

I'd then look to Gundoc for a nice trigger work-over and gas the rifle down (reduced size gas port bushing) so your brass stays in the same zip code.

In traditional stocks I really like the Hogue furniture. Great colors, very durable, a little additional length-of-pull, a wider and more substantial forend, and a more hand filling grip. The Hogue can be further improved by a good bedding job. Gundoc has a nice video for the DIY crowd or he'll do a pro job for you at a reasonable cost. You can find him in the Vendor section under Great West Gunsmithing.

For a more tactical build I like the Sparta stock quite a lot. Strong, very adjustable to fit most shooters and offers quite a bit of optional expansion. Its heavy but the Mini balances in it nicely, better than I had expected.

As you and the Mini break in together you'll gain a better feel of what you want and what the rifle wants to better address your specific reality.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i only plan to get some mags right now and just start shooting it. I want to get the feel of the gun and figure out everything about it.
I feel that 20rd mags would be best but may consider some 30 rounders also. Ive only so far just shot 5 rounds through it and if the mag was larger i would have shot more at that time.

One big thing is the sights, i really dont like the factory sights. Not sure why, but i just dont!

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are many whom do not care for the factory irons. I kinda like 'em but only as a close range back up system as I'm primary traditional scope shooter.

Tech Sights makes a nice upgrade for the rear sight that offers a smaller aperture and click stop windage and elevation adjustments. Its a little longer and a little taller than the original (which they also make, BTW).

For a front sight the MoReaper is a popular option and features an adjustable AK-style hooded post integral with their muzzle break. They are also found in the Vendor section.

Another popular sight is the True Shot Technologies front sight system. Give 'em a Google to see more of their products.

Member bwraven has a pair of new 20 round factory mags in the For Sale section right now for a nice price. I just received a couple from him myself - very pleased.

All kinds of ways to spend your money here :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
IMHO I wouldnt get 30s, but thats personal preference. The 20s and the 5s look the best in the rifle in my opinion.

Once you have some mags and you have trigger time you can start to think about what, if anything, you want to do with your rifle.

I'm with kwg that less is more. I love the appearance of the mini the way it is. A bedding job, trigger job, and different gas port bushings dont change the way it look, improve accuracy, and add very minimul weight to the rifle at the balance point.

If you still want to go further you can add a stabilizing barrel strut (Accu-Strut, Har-Bar, Mo-Rod, or DIY job) and add weight to the end of the barrel through the addition of a muzzle device (flash hider, muzzle brake, or compensator). You will need the muzzle threaded 1/2''x28 tpi if you choose an AR one or you can add a Mo-Reaper and not have to thread your barrel.

Further still? Start reloading your own ammo and find a load that the gun really really likes

Further still? Look up Accuracy System Inc. and have them turn it into a 15lbs target gun for boo-kuu dollars ;)

Personally, all Im doing to mine is a trigger job, bedding job, and changing the gas port bushing. I did add the Mo-Reaper because I really liked the looks of it.

It all comes down to what your personal preference is and what your goals are for the gun.

This is the #1 place to learn about the Mini 14 and all that can be accomplished with it.

Happy shooting, and most importantly...have a blast man!!:lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im more of a tactical kinda person. I mean dont get me wrong i love it the way it is (it got my attention somehow right), but i bought it in hopes to one day add a tactical stock and and features.

That MoReaper and Har-Bar look awesome by the way!!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Blackhawk sling, ATI stock, 3 x 9 BDC reticle scope, 2 - 10 round nickel plated mag's(I like the 10 round mags). The gun had the 30 round with it but I don't like it. Tried the mo rod but it won't stay put on my gun. I haven't decided what to do next with that situation. I just ordered the Weigland Weaver rail and that is not in this photo. My Ruger rings won't stay in place even with loctite and they are not spaced the best for the scope I have. I also sometimes shoot with a red dot so the rail will fix that as well. I got the gun used and it is a 2006 manufacture so I don't know what all it has been through. It came with the plastic Ruger stock and the stock was too loose on the gun so I got the ATI stock. I plan to have the trigger worked and would like to get a muzzle brake but nobody makes one like what I want. I might have the barrel shortened, crowned and threaded for somebody's brake.

Mine is a mini 30.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For accuracy and improved handling I prefer the Hogue stock on my 18" barrel Mini. For a compact gun, I have a Butler Creek folder for a 16" Mini, folds down to 26".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't forget Choate...They make several nice stocks for the Mini-14. Including an M4 style collapsible stock.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at muzzle brakes, is there one without sights that still is a pin on. Im about to get a scope and dont really want the sights on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know the people at Mo-Rod at working to make a pin on, sight-less Mo-Reaper, though Im guessing that is still months away.

So as of now there is no pin on, sight-less muzzle brae for the 581 series. There are pin on's for the earlier models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts