Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many choices that it is hard to make a decision.

I don't think that I want a fixed front sight since I plan to mount an optic (eventually an ACOG) and don't want to see the front sight post through the optic. I would also like to mount a front vertical grip and maybe a light.

The Colt 6940 seems like a good choice since it has rails and a flip down front sight.

My budget is around $1500 and that rifle seems to fit.

Would that rifle be a good choice? Anyone here use it?

My current rifle is a Mini-14 so I'm hoping this will be a step up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
bgator,

Firstly, welcome to the "Dark Side"...

I won't get into whether or not you're making a "step-up" from a Mini-14, as that is definitely a hot potato topic around these here parts. The diplomatic answer is this...get BOTH! And, frankly speaking, I love my Mini-14.

Anyway, unless you're just hell-bent on getting a Colt...and I do not take ANYTHING away from their fantastic reputation for producing HIGH quality AR-15's...you can get a really nice AR-15 from another reputable manufacturer and you may have some money left over for that ACOG.

DPMS, Bushmaster, Smith & Wesson, Spike's Tactical, and Rock River Arms (RRA)...just to name a handful...produce EXTREMELY solid AR-15's.

I personally own several RRA AR-15's...I love 'em! They're fantastic shooters. And, since I live in Illinois and RRA resides in the same state, I am supporting a business within my own state. It just so happens that they also make kick-a$$ AR-15's too. ;^)

Anyway, it sounds like you are looking for a "tactical rig"...so here's what I recommend:

A 16" carbine, with a flat-top receiver, a folding front and rear sight, a quad rail up-front, and a collapsible rear stock.

Here's my reasoning behind my recommendation...

The 16" length allows it to be easily handled and carried, as well as making easy to store. And, the 16" barrel will be plenty accurate.

A flat-top receiver gives you MANY options for mounting a scope. Too many to list here.

The folding front/rear sight allow you to have back-up sights, in case your scope cr^ps out on you...always good to have a back-up plan.

The quad rail will give you the ability to mount a forward grip, a light, laser, bipod, etc.

And, the collapsible rear stock will support the mobility aspect of the rifle, as well as making it nice for storage, and trips to and from the range.

Here's just ONE example of a rifle that would fit the bill. It's within your budget and there are SEVERAL nice mods on there from the factory.:
RRA Elite Comp

As I've mentioned, there are other manufactures' rifles out there that will serve your needs extremely well to. I just happen to be partial to RRA, since it's what I shoot.

In fact, I am also interested in these two AR-15 models at the moment:

ST-15 M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion

Ruger SR-556

NOTE: Both of the ones above are piston rifles.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Again, welcome to the Dark Side!

~ alaj70

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I do like my Mini-14. It is fun to shoot, easy to maintain, and reliable. The things I'm hoping to improve are stock accuracy and recoil behavior. 556 recoil is mild, but it is hard to keep the barrel of the Mini-14 on target when firing rapidly. The AR-15 design seems to be better at both of these (comparing stock models).

I considered staying with Ruger and getting an SR-556. The gas piston is a big selling point. One of my friends shoots a 6.8mm LWRC A2 which is also a gas piston. That is a nice gun, but out of my price range. With the ruger, I worry about weight. It is close to 8 lbs dry and I worry that after it gets loaded with an optic that it might not be very quick.

It will probably be hard to get a gun with a rail system that is close to 6 lbs, but the lighter the better.

I will look into the RRA models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't know if you have shot an AR yet, but from what I can tell, the AR has a llighter recoil. That is one thing I liked about the Mini; shooting it! The Garand action can't be beat, and it just shoots like a beast. 5.56 mm AK IMO haha
I am with alaj70 on this one; The RRA makes one fine rifle! I have one as well and happen to love it. It has performed 100% for me so far.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Colt has some good selling points but you are also paying for the name. They are also known for subpar fit and finish.
I have 2 RRA and a Bushy that I would put up against the Colt any day. For $1500 you can get a lot of rifle like the Ruger.
I think the DI system is fine for the semi-auto shooter. I'm holding out on the piston guns until I see some standards set or see what the military does with it. Right now all the piston systems are proprietary.
If you look around you can get a standard Mforgery for $700-$900 and buy another upper for $500-$700 and have 2 guns.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The Colt sounds like a plan, as it WILL hold its value if you ever need to sell it. As for recoil being different between the AR and the Mini, yes, it's true, the Mini recoils different due to the stock. If it had a straight back stock (ATI) it would recoil and hold point like an AR does. It's physics and mechanics. When I swapped out the wood stock on my Mini for the ATI stock, I was able to shoot a lot faster and still keep sights on target.

Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
Buying a Colt is a waste of money IMO! The customer service SUCKS, The price is HIGH and the quality is average. RRA, CMMG, And Bushmaster make guns just as well (if not better) and they all have very very good customer service. You could also build your own and save a ton of money. JMHO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
While i don't own an AR i WAS in the market for one ,so my research might benifit you. I own a 580 ss mini and love the gun but like the rest of the gun nuts on here , one gun is never enough. I changed my mind and bought two guns for the price i was going to spend on an AR.( ROCK ISLAND .45 1911 and a REM 700 in .270 cal ) My research and comment's by other AR owners led me to this. Unless you have some serious demands for your AR most of them are pretty much the same. Now please guys don't jump all over me on this, my coment is based on dozen's of opinions ,suggesting this. Buy from a reputable co. such as RR ,COLT, DPMS ,STAG, BUSHMASTER , REMINTON. RUGER and SMITH this is only a few there are many other's who build AR's.
So my conclusion is,if you can save a little money and get a good deal on any of the one's i mentioned then save the the extra $$$$$ and use it for all the toys you can bolt on to one of these platforms. I saw a Smith for sale at Gander for $999 + 5 free mags great deal right they also had a DPMS for $900
I saw very little difference between them and again from what opinions say
they are both the same quality .Hope that helped a little anyway at least have fun shopping.
frankie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the opinions. I still haven't made up my mind.

The S&W VTAC looks like an interesting gun. It is light weight and optics ready.

Ar15.com just posted some new SEBR models for sale that look intersting. One is a gas piston design and the other is a mid-length DI rifle.

The range I shoot at is closed for duck season so I feel like I have some time to make up my mind.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The range I shoot at is closed for duck season so I feel like I have some time to make up my mind.
Closed for Duck season??? The range is not open during duck hunting season? What about all the people who do not hunt? Sorry to hijack the thread but this makes no sense to me.:huh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The range is on public land owned by the state (AL) that can be used for hunting. I assume that they don't want the ducks scared away by the gunfire.

The next closest public rifle range is over an hour away. I may have to make the trip...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After much deliberation, I bought an S&W M&P15 VTAC rifle. I chose this rifle since it met most of my criteria and had some nice extras. It is light, has a very good trigger, no front sight post, 1 in 7 twist chrome-lined barrel, and comes with a sling and flashlight.

I have ordered Magpul MBUS backup sights and a Daniel Defense vertical grip.

I took it to the range today (found an open range 60 miles away) and was very impressed. No issues after around 100 rounds fired. I borrowed a friends eotech with 3x magnifier and was very happy with the accuracy. I was shooting mainly cheap pmc bronze 55 gr ammo.

I will update again when I get more time behind the trigger. I'll also try to post some pictures.

·
Registered
583 Posts
After much deliberation, I bought an S&W M&P15 VTAC rifle.
You're a lot better off with that than the Colt. I've shot some nice (older) Colt ARs, but the worst I've ever shot were all Colts, too. I'm not the only person with that experience, either.

S&W had a couple of issues with their ARs out of the gate, but they seem to have solved them and are turning out good products now.

Personally, I like Oly Arms, just due to the fact that their stainless and SUM barrels outshoot everything else that's even remotely the same price. I'm shooting at small targets at (sometimes) long range, though. For a defense rifle, that's not a big concern.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You're a lot better off with that than the Colt. I've shot some nice (older) Colt ARs, but the worst I've ever shot were all Colts, too. I'm not the only person with that experience, either.

S&W had a couple of issues with their ARs out of the gate, but they seem to have solved them and are turning out good products now.

Personally, I like Oly Arms, just due to the fact that their stainless and SUM barrels outshoot everything else that's even remotely the same price. I'm shooting at small targets at (sometimes) long range, though. For a defense rifle, that's not a big concern.
I was going to suggest the S&W MP15. Their rifle is priced right, and you get 5 free magazines with a mail in coupon.

I have their upper, bought from a member here. 16" m4 1/9
After putting my choice A.R.M.S. #40/41 BUIS and #45 S.I.R. rail system... it is one of my favorites.
Its so cool I gotta wear shades just to look at it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. Make sure to take advantage of the S&W deal on mags.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts