Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· USAF SF
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to leave for a short detail overseas, and by the time I get back I will be "legally" allowed to own a handgun.

I've always loved the 1911 style, but there are so many different manufacturers/knock-offs. In your opinion, which brand is the overall best? I have heard of Kimber being top of the line, but I would like to see peoples' input.

401 Posts
Kimber TLE About $900.

Awesome handgun. I find that it has most of the mods I would put on a plain Jane 1911.

I have a Pro Carry II, That I modified and essential turned it into a TLE. Ambi safety, 3 dot sights, some trigger work. This is the most accurate of all my pistols other than the Ruger 22/45 I have. Love to shoot my Kimber. Like any piece of machinery with tight tolerances it will require a break in period.

Ruger makes a nice 1911.

Sig Sauer also has a very nice 1911.

I am still partial to Springfield also.

So there I muddied up the waters for you, but sincerely I have shot all four pistols and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. For the package though I think the Kimber TLE has it all.

Stay Safe and come back and shoot the hell out of that 1911!!!

· Registered
715 Posts
I have a Springfield Loaded Model that is all one could ask for without actually having a custom gun made. I also have a Springfield (TRP) tactical response pistol just like the FBI Hostage Rescue Team are issued, its amazing how well the both work. Springfield has a Mil Spec 1911 for a much better price, the ones Ive seen on the range have seemed to be great guns. You can also buy a very reliable Remington 1911, mine works great but its very tight until you shoot it enough to break in. Good Luck!!

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Bang for the buck, right now I'd go Ruger SR1911, around here at least they are the same price as the base model mil-spec Remington R1, ($800) and the R1 with all the custom bits pushes another $100 over that.

Now if you are looking for something a bit higher end, I would go right to the STI Trojan for an MSRP of $1000. Beyond that price, I would be looking at higher end STIs and Kimber Custom Shop pieces.

I was playing at the range last week with my friends Custom Shop Pro Carry w/ Crimson Trace grip...Easily hit the 8" steel plate from 50 yards with that little 4" barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.