Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When they had banned 30 round mags in the past was it strictly a capacity limit or also including a overall mag length limit? I hate to see the larger mags go away! Follow me here closely - If they were to take a 30 round polymer mag and incorporate a stop for the legal ban limit it would be awesome. That way the follower could only go down so far and still look like a 30 round mag.
I guess im looking for whats the magazine manufacturers guidelines for a capacity limit? How do they have to reach the limited capacity?

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
When they had banned 30 round mags in the past was it strictly a capacity limit or also including a overall mag length limit? I hate to see the larger mags go away! Follow me here closely - If they were to take a 30 round polymer mag and incorporate a stop for the legal ban limit it would be awesome. That way the follower could only go down so far and still look like a 30 round mag.
I guess im looking for whats the magazine manufacturers guidelines for a capacity limit? How do they have to reach the limited capacity?
No, they did not permit blocking of genuine full sized rifle mags. ATF had a "ready convertibility" criteria similar to the one they use on FA conversions. Some magazines used a short tube and a solid plastic "false tube" for the bottom half, particularly pistol mags. Others were designed to "fall apart" if tampered with to pound out internal blocks (seams were precut into the mag body compromising strength). Others, such as Glock mags used an internal single stack arrangement IIRC - don't have any Glock "Clinton Clips" handy to examine at the moment.

So if you want the appearance of a fullsize rifle mag but have it "legally blocked" as in Kali with the 10/30 style mags you are out of luck, unless an obvious false extension on the bottom trips your trigger.

If you want magazines that "look right', I respectfully suggest that you should work with the rest of us to keep such a travesty from passing in the first place. If they do get a 10 shot limit, next it will be 5 - see that jerk Cuomo's recent speech for reference ("who needs 10 bullets to kill a deer").

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh im definatly going with keeping everything we already have. I dont want to loose anything or any rights. I was just wondering how they had achieved the max capacity.
I wasnt talking of just looks for the mag for some of us. For some of us if its longer than a 10 round mag we could make it something more. I also wasnt even speaking of wanting them to ban any mags. I was trying to speak in terms of builders / customizers.
What i was thinking was something that to me wasnt readily avaliable but some people can do anything your dreams desire...

Im all with my rights on the 2nd amendment, and i love this stuff just as much as the next guy. I speak when i can about the very little i know of politics and my rights as an AMERICAN.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Oh im definatly going with keeping everything we already have. I dont want to loose anything or any rights. I was just wondering how they had achieved the max capacity.
I wasnt talking of just looks for the mag for some of us. For some of us if its longer than a 10 round mag we could make it something more. I also wasnt even speaking of wanting them to ban any mags. I was trying to speak in terms of builders / customizers.
What i was thinking was something that to me wasnt readily avaliable but some people can do anything your dreams desire...

Im all with my rights on the 2nd amendment, and i love this stuff just as much as the next guy. I speak when i can about the very little i know of politics and my rights as an AMERICAN.
No problem.

Really the biggest problem I have with low cap mags ("Clinton Clips" was what we used to call 'em) was that so many of 'em were over-engineered to make them hard to "convert" that I was dubious of their reliable functioning under adverse environments. So a lot of those "short tubes with solid plastic spacers " were not made to be disassembled for cleaning - that's a problem if you've ever dropped a mag in a puddle in the field. You do not want internal rust. Others, with fullsized tubes but "dimples" to keep you from putting in the right number of rounds were perforated so that they would split into pieces if you tried to pound out the dimples - and I always feared that the mag could split lengthwise if dropped. Guess if I got a TIG welder, I could have run a bead lengthwise then ground it down flush but that's a lot of work to fix something that's brand new!

Some 10 shot internal single stackers weren't too bad - IIRC the Glock mags weren't built to split*, but had a single stack metal liner. Really need to find the shoebox where I put my Clinton Clips, but haven't used any of 'em for years (used to use 'em as range mags and keep my full cap mags for "real" use). The single stack 10 shot WASR mags "look right" from the outside, so it wouldn't be hard for some enterprising soul to build an oversize "mouth" on the mag so it would properly fit a double stack gun's magazine well.

Never bought the 10 shot AR mags, since I was well stocked with GI surplus mags when the ban hit. I vaguely recall big solid plastic spacers on the bottom of short mag tubes that precluded easy disassembly though. Pretty much a dealkiller for me personally. 10 shot Mini 14 and M14 mags don't look bad, but the economics aren't there for me - usually the cost differential between a 20 shooter and a 10 shooter is much smaller than the extra cost of buying 2x 10 shooters.

If I were you, I would keep searching the vendors online and when you find some mags at a reasonable price, buy 'em. I'm pretty well set, but am considering dumping $$ into mags for guns I don't have right now but would like to buy - M1 Carbine, Thompson gun, etc.

And if you're in NY or Kali, you may want to stock up on the "legal" 10 shooters. Sounds like that jerk Cuomo wants to drop the mag limit (probably to 5 as in NYC) after that speech of his "...you don't need 10 bullets to kill a deer..". Soon, I'm planning on stocking up on mags for 1911 and Walther P38, since even 8 shooters may come under attack at some point and you can never have too many guns, mags, or cartridges.

If you already have a good stock (say 10-20x per piece) you may want to store some of 'em offsite (safety deposit box, etc) since it would royally suck to have your mag stash burned up in a house fire or stolen.

Just some thoughts.
All the best,
Grumpy
*Ack! Aging grey matter at work there - the Glock mags DID have a thinner than normal "line" cast from top to bottom at the front seam so I think they were designed to fail if tampered with. They just weren't as obnoxious as some of the Clinton Clips. Sorry for the goof.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Feinstein's new gun grabber bill, if it were to pass, would eliminate mag blocks or any other add on or additional devices that would allow "BANNED" guns or mags to be sold. End of line.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Feinstein's new gun grabber bill, if it were to pass, would eliminate mag blocks or any other add on or additional devices that would allow "BANNED" guns or mags to be sold. End of line.
Yep, that's why we HAVE to keep the pressure on the RINOs to block any and all "gun control" of any form whatsoever.

All the best,
Grumpy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts